• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elessar

Reaction score

I just can not get into the Alpinist. The Cocktail Time was a major interest of mine for a while, but my desire has faded. I think I'd pass on it unless available at a stupid discount.

The Alpinist slowly grew on me, then I took the plunge, and when I received it I was stunned by the dial / hands combination. It just works, for me. It's the perfect balance between smart and casual for me, depending on the strap it can cater to the more casual side or the smarter side of the smart casual spectrum. Being a student, that is an important factor for me.

billikenman

Reaction score

The Alpinist slowly grew on me, then I took the plunge, and when I received it I was stunned by the dial / hands combination. It just works, for me. It's the perfect balance between smart and casual for me, depending on the strap it can cater to the more casual side or the smarter side of the smart casual spectrum. Being a student, that is an important factor for me.
Same here. If you'd told me before I saw it that the watch is green dialed, with both stainless steel and gold colors, I'd have had my doubts. But it just works.

Commodore Mark

Reaction score
My new Hamilton Jazzmaster. (Sorry for the poor lighting.)

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't worn this watch in forever it seems. My JR has been hogging the casual watch wrist time.  So I got to enjoy it's Jolly Green Giant coolness almost anew.

orig.jpg

Is there a watch in that picture? I'm sorry, all I can see is Galway...

popdop

Reaction score
Something a bit different:

Hamilton Geneve 1974 RAF serviceman's watch. 17 jewel Hamilton movement which is hand-wind only. I inherited it in 2014 and had it restored (but left the original plastic "crystal" in place and had minimal external work done), and fitted an aviator strap from Timefactors.

It's got an interesting story - they had the contract for two years and released a limited issue of around 4,000 (it has a production number printed on the backplate). The contract went to, and is still with, CWC.

It's not really dressy enough for formalwear but I see so many people with dive watches on I'm not too concerned and I like to have something a bit unusual.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score
Something a bit different:

Hamilton Geneve 1974 RAF serviceman's watch. 17 jewel Hamilton movement which is hand-wind only. I inherited it in 2014 and had it restored (but left the original plastic "crystal" in place and had minimal external work done), and fitted an aviator strap from Timefactors.

It's got an interesting story - they had the contract for two years and released a limited issue of around 4,000 (it has a production number printed on the backplate). The contract went to, and is still with, CWC.

It's not really dressy enough for formalwear but I see so many people with dive watches on I'm not too concerned and I like to have something a bit unusual.

That's a beauty, let's see some more shots of it please.

popdop

Reaction score
That's a beauty, let's see some more shots of it please.

I like the strap, as I feel it matches the style of the watch (NATO would have probably been preferred but there are no scuff marks underneath and I didn't want to add my own!). Gives a nice "aviator" feel.

The stamp on the back is the model/serial number (top line), and production number/year (bottom line). I reckon about 2,000 were produced in 1974 from what I can find out online.

There are marks and scratches from years of use before I inherited it, but I think it scrubbed up well when I had it renovated in 2014.

I have tiny wrists so although this is an unusually small watch face compared to the average watch you see today (lugs are 38mm I think but the crystal is much smaller - very 70s!)

Last edited:

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Another shot of the STEINHART "OCEAN One Vintage DUAL Time PREMIUM"

Is it growing on you? I think it's a gorgeous watch.
I do like it, just not as impressed as the JR and B&M that I recently purchased for the same price range. Of course The JR and B&M were on super sale, I got lucky.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

I like the strap, as I feel it matches the style of the watch (NATO would have probably been preferred but there are no scuff marks underneath and I didn't want to add my own!). Gives a nice "aviator" feel.

The stamp on the back is the model/serial number (top line), and production number/year (bottom line). I reckon about 2,000 were produced in 1974 from what I can find out online.

There are marks and scratches from years of use before I inherited it, but I think it scrubbed up well when I had it renovated in 2014.

I have tiny wrists so although this is an unusually small watch face compared to the average watch you see today (lugs are 38mm I think but the crystal is much smaller - very 70s!)

Fantastic looking piece.
Might look good on a leather nato too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics