• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I'm poor and only own an Omega, I figure I better have the right one! I have the opportunity to trade my SMP for a PO. If I do this I'd need to add some money (don't know about 1K) to sweeten the deal. What do you think of these two beasts? Right now I have the Seamaster Pro:
2123041200100220.png
I could have the Planet Ocean instead (would need to add 1K):
2201510020.png
Which would you recommend? (For the watch snobs, they're both the same co-axial movement, although the PO is 42mm and the SMP 41mm.) My attire is fancy, slim fit dress shirts and pants. I wear a suit every few weeks but not every day. I'm early thirties going on 17, and on weekends am more likely to be found wearing a nice polo and diesel jeans. Thanks in advance my esteemed SF members!

ratratan

Reaction score
you're gonna trade it in or are you deciding between the 2? if you already have the seamaster then just use it. it's not a bad looking watch by far. i quite like the PO though. i also like the aqua terra and another more dive style of watch of which i forget the serial number. here it is. i just searched for a seamaster pro..
smp12.jpg

PBristolJr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
1k for a watch hardly qualifies as poor man.

both are great choices at that level though.

Agreed!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither one of these is particularly thin. I have a SMP and I can't get it under most cuffs. It is a 36mm version that I have had since 1997.

I would like to add a JLC Master Ultra Thin to the collection, so I can actually wear a watch with suits and SCs.

Mike

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
****. Do you guys think Omega is a poor man's watch?
facepalm.gif

Regards.

I know I came in here thinking I was going to see Stührlings, Fossils, Timex, Seikos and the like. So, if owning an Omega means your poor then I'm skrewed
laugh.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Neither one of these is particularly thin. I have a SMP and I can't get it under most cuffs. It is a 36mm version that I have had since 1997. I would like to add a JLC Master Ultra Thin to the collection, so I can actually wear a watch with suits and SCs. Mike
That's a great watch. I've been looking at a Breguet Marine for a nice dress watch, but wasn't sure if it would fit under my cuffs. If not, the JLC is next on my list.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
I know I came in here thinking I was going to see Stührlings, Fossils, Timex, Seikos and the like. So, if owning an Omega means your poor then I'm skrewed
laugh.gif

Back on topic -- I can't speak for all the brands, but Seiko, Sea-Gull etc certainly make some outstanding high quality watches at very low price points. No one would think that they are "budget" watches.

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Both are nice watches. I find the PO a bit more difficult to wear every day due to the thickness. They both have the coaxial movt. (a plus). I believe the SMP is a bit more versatile.

But if only one it is hard to beat a Speedy (which can be had for less than 2K and serves many straps/looks easily.

WAYWT1of5.jpg

20101222-1.jpg

SeaDweller2of3.jpg

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Now that's what I was thinking...if this thread kept on that pace I'd be more comfortable posting pics of my humble collection
laugh.gif

Dig the Parnis...I've been toying with the idea of getting a 44mm 1950 style Marina Militare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads