• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A really nice watch, pretty different from the usual cheap Eco-Drive Citizen.

I beg your pardon, there’s nothing cheap about the Eco-Drive. 🧐
76153592-7E95-4C2D-A948-688742A0B454.jpeg
🥰

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Land Cruisers...

20220911_182352.jpg

...I'm a fan! The navy LC (FJ200) is my daily driver. You can see my FJ80 in the reflection - that's a weekend toy. I picked up the American version of the LC Prado (FJ150) last week.

Back to PMWs, I'm chasing the Land Cruiser edition of the G-shock Mudmaster to join my collection.
20220804_122821.jpg

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Land Cruisers...

View attachment 1864649

...I'm a fan! The navy LC (FJ200) is my daily driver. You can see my FJ80 in the reflection - that's a weekend toy. I picked up the American version of the LC Prado (FJ150) last week.

Back to PMWs, I'm chasing the Land Cruiser edition of the G-shock Mudmaster to join my collection.
View attachment 1864650
Good man! The 80 series is definitely a good toy, last real cruiser before they started making them comfortable. Here in Oz the 70 series is the ultimate toy, mostly cos they still sell them new. Parked next to a pristine FJ76 yesterday, the Cayenne next to it just looked wrong. It's amazing how cheap a used 200 series (or Lexus equivalent) can be in the US, when here they can go above MSRP by a good chunk.

I'll admit to slight bias against Prados since 1. they're not made in the Japanese LC factory to the 25 year life standards 2. they have a reputation for cracks developing on longer bush drives vs a full size but still beats a RR or equivalent city tractor. But you could argue the last generation Prados were more practical size wise, if all you're doing is camping on the weekend.

Yes I have a Toyota cap, wore it yesterday. Did not know about the LC G shock, thanks for making me buy more stuff.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I respect your opinion, but for me a watch has to be mechanical.
What makes the 0100 special is in great part the *mechanical* side of things which is how they broke through the 5spy barrier that limited both the Seiko and Citizen HAQ until then to get to 1spy. Extreme tolerances, redesigned crystal, etc. I think it's the kind of watch that belongs in a mechanical collection and a historical point of sorts.

But as Milton said
"...A mind not to be chang’d by Place or Time.
The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav’n of Hell, a Hell of Heav’n."

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes the 0100 special is in great part the *mechanical* side of things which is how they broke through the 5spy barrier that limited both the Seiko and Citizen HAQ until then to get to 1spy. Extreme tolerances, redesigned crystal, etc. I think it's the kind of watch that belongs in a mechanical collection and a historical point of sorts.

But as Milton said
"...A mind not to be chang’d by Place or Time.
The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav’n of Hell, a Hell of Heav’n."

Yes, call it prejudice, or mindset: I recognise the value of such hybrid movements (like the Grand Seiko Spring Drive), but they are totally unattractive to me.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite dials but doesn't get a ton of wear as it's on the dressier side.
IMG_6771.jpg

My Vario Versa has shipped. I love Vario you get direct contact about your order and they even sent me a photo before the mailed it along with my extras.

vario versa -  cropped.png

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I currently have 4 eco-drive watches and really can't see a problem with them. They recharge on the windowsill, are far more accurate than my mechanical tissot, they never stop and look really good. This titanium diver came with a rubber strap but I prefer it on a nato.

Attachments

• 1670441538176904902148663127887.jpg
    1670441538176904902148663127887.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 35

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently have 4 eco-drive watches and really can't see a problem with them. They recharge on the windowsill, are far more accurate than my mechanical tissot, they never stop and look really good. This titanium diver came with a rubber strap but I prefer it on a nato.
There is no problem with Eco drive. I have a couple, including a diver.

I remember when there were only mechanical watches available. Started off with a boy's manual wind Timex and then moved on to automatics. They needed regular servicing, though it was easier to find and cheaper back then. They were also less accurate.

My quartz watches are no bother at all. My radio controlled G shocks are accurate to the second.

I would never go back to mechanical watches myself, but each to their own.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think different strokes different folks. Some expect handmade jewelry, and don't really care for the accuracy of watches as a whole, only those which fit that description. Some want something reliable to tell the time. Some want to explore the edges of technology (HAQ, depth rating, complications). Some want modern art as expressed within the cultural constraint of "the wrist watch". There's overlap between these groups, and the market offers options for them too, confusing things further (e.g. the Tadao Ando Octissimo - both ultrathin, and contemporary art, or at least for people who think of themselves as consumers thereof). Etc. etc.

If you're looking for jewelry or edges of tech, then most of the eco-drive range is not going to scratch that itch. Great for reliability as pointed out a few times here, that's why they sell so well, a nice alternative to the G Shock. My particular corner case for eco-drive is the Stiletto. I think a dress watch should not be ostentatious (and let's face it wearing some logos is ostentatious regardless of the design) so I end up wearing the (somewhat large) minimalist Stiletto for those occasions, it matches a minimum of finishing (sapphire glass, very thin), and the eco-drive means not worrying about setting it or maintaining it. I used to enjoy HMTs ($10 shipped) for the same purpose but they are really spectacularly unreliable esp as you can no longer buy them new.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another interesting "edge of tech" (but with dubious additional utility over radio) is Citizen's satellite wave technology. Instead of hoping you're within range of one of the atomic clock broadcasting radios, which to be fair some of the world is not covered by, it uses GPS to adjust time and time zone automatically. Well, what's so exciting about that do you ask, my phone does it, well, no phone or Garmin (possibly with the exception of the new solar Instinct 2, which can live on low consumption mode essentially indefinitely off the solar cell) does this AND does not need constant plugging in. So it fits the "standalone, offline, and don't really worry about touching it" criteria.

Citizen being who they are, the whole range is very 1990s Breitling inspiration mall watch (which in a sense they are) although the CC3067-11L can probably pass muster as an Alpinist replacement:

1670457049321.png

The CC5001-00W is also a refreshing departure from the usual Rolex inspired divers, I like the replacement of world cities by dive spots:

1670457405382.png

Does it make sense for a grand, I don't think so unless as part of an engineering-inspired collection. At the end of the day Waveceptor is just as good and considerably cheaper, although you do have to manually change your time zone (which I end up doing on 2 watches about twice a quarter, not to mention figuring out nearest tide spot as well, and checking the phone for the appropriate DST setting).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads