• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was red from 30-60, I could maybe see the justification that it's intended to be a reminder that going past half an hour is unsafe in some context, but with the red from 15-45, that doesn't work. As is, it's just a copy of GMT bezel coloring without GMT function.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That’s a nice looking bit of kit but I always wonder why they do a fifty fifty split on a dive bezel like that? The colours are nice but to what purpose? The design of a chunky tool watch usually has a form follows function utility but I don’t get what purpose of that is.
Because Pepsi

In a nutshell, basically no reason

Last edited:

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20221127_092340.jpg
20221127_095712.jpg

Trit

Reaction score
marathon quartz.jpg

I did finally get this 36mm Marathon quartz I posted like 2 years ago. It stuck in my head. Conclusion: tritium tubes are very cool. I think this is the only 36mm watch on earth that has them, so if you want them in this size this is your choice. Though what I did notice is that everyone who uses tritium tubes also uses glow in the dark paint and advertises both mixed in product shots. So you have to realize where the actual tubes are. It's an interesting watch company. As close as you'll get to a Canadian company even though no part is made in Canada. The pricing is too high. On a bracelet it's not even a Poor Man's Watch™. But on the rubber strap, on Black Friday sale it's almost fairly priced. I've never had a watch come with such luxurious packaging. Milspec in name only. Though my reading found there actually was a military specification for tritium gas tube watches decades ago. So I guess this is closer than most military cosplay. Very tall case with a deep dish design. Overall I like it. This would be my one all purpose travel watch. The Withings hybrid watch is unquestionably more practical since it has an LCD screen. But this looks cool, I can read it at night and I can shower in it. It's a winner.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1861788
I did finally get this 36mm Marathon quartz I posted like 2 years ago. It stuck in my head. Conclusion: tritium tubes are very cool. I think this is the only 36mm watch on earth that has them, so if you want them in this size this is your choice. Though what I did notice is that everyone who uses tritium tubes also uses glow in the dark paint and advertises both mixed in product shots. So you have to realize where the actual tubes are. It's an interesting watch company. As close as you'll get to a Canadian company even though no part is made in Canada. The pricing is too high. On a bracelet it's not even a Poor Man's Watch™. But on the rubber strap, on Black Friday sale it's almost fairly priced. I've never had a watch come with such luxurious packaging. Milspec in name only. Though my reading found there actually was a military specification for tritium gas tube watches decades ago. So I guess this is closer than most military cosplay. Very tall case with a deep dish design. Overall I like it. This would be my one all purpose travel watch. The Withings hybrid watch is unquestionably more practical since it has an LCD screen. But this looks cool, I can read it at night and I can shower in it. It's a winner.

I served in the Marines and never knew anybody who actually had a watch issued to them, but I was always interested in getting my hands on one. A few months after I was discharged I got a message from a friend working in supply finally giving me my chance and I was able to get myself a “U.S. Government” branded Marathon TSAR and I’ve loved it ever since. Mine is on a bracelet and it’s one of the most comfortable bracelets I’ve owned. I got mine in 2006 and it was a few years old at that point but the tritium tubes still glow well enough that I can easily tell the time if I look at it on my nightstand in the middle of the night.

I did have to re-read your post a couple times because the line about “luxurious packaging” threw me for a loop - mine arrived in a very plain cardboard box with a sticker with the contract date and NSN Number.

An old photo of my TSAR:

Trit

Reaction score
I served in the Marines and never knew anybody who actually had a watch issued to them, but I was always interested in getting my hands on one. A few months after I was discharged I got a message from a friend working in supply finally giving me my chance and I was able to get myself a “U.S. Government” branded Marathon TSAR and I’ve loved it ever since. Mine is on a bracelet and it’s one of the most comfortable bracelets I’ve owned. I got mine in 2006 and it was a few years old at that point but the tritium tubes still glow well enough that I can easily tell the time if I look at it on my nightstand in the middle of the night.

I did have to re-read your post a couple times because the line about “luxurious packaging” threw me for a loop - mine arrived in a very plain cardboard box with a sticker with the contract date and NSN Number.

An old photo of my TSAR:

feelies.JPG

That's interesting. They give the civilians all the bells and whistles. Nice box, multiple catalogues, bag, toque and what I think is a sew-on patch. And that's for the cheapest "nice" model.

I read that these tritium tubes have a half life of 12 years. So your watch is still bright enough to read at night 16 years later? That's good to know.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1862404
That's interesting. They give the civilians all the bells and whistles. Nice box, multiple catalogues, bag, toque and what I think is a sew-on patch. And that's for the cheapest "nice" model.

I read that these tritium tubes have a half life of 12 years. So your watch is still bright enough to read at night 16 years later? That's good to know.
I had a Luminox Navy Seals watch for 20 years and I’d say the lights were maybe starting to fade towards the end but still easily visible at night.
I went scuba diving in Clearwater FL, checked the time as I was suiting up and as I sat on the edge of the boat about to backward roll into the water went to set the bezel and the watch had vanished. Must have bust a spring bar and fallen into the drink just before otherwise it would have fallen into the boat. Got it almost new for $100 off eBay when they retailed for $200, took it on numerous dives and didn’t have a spot of bother with it for twenty years till I lost it. Now they’re more expensive and have screw down crowns etc but still a decent watch and the lights were never a problem!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads