• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a number of Timex designs but I with the rest of you as far as their autos go.

Tissot today.
IMG_5870.jpg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They look kinda cool. Didn't know the movements were that bad, though. Must be where they make their profit.

So Timex are using NH35 movements? :D

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. What did you sell off?

Within about the past two months:
Aquastar Deepstar Chronograph
MKII Sting Ray 60
MKII Blackwater
MKII Project 300
MKII Sea Fighter (x2)
Sinn EZM 1.1
Sinn EZM 3
Sinn U1
Sinn UX
Seiko SBDA003
Seiko SCFF003
Squale 20 Atmos Ferrovia Ceramic
Steinhart Ocean Vintage Maxi
Helson Hammerhead 42
Halios Puck

Since the fall, I've acquired an Aquastar Deepstar II, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Intramatic panda, and a MKII Tornek-Rayville (among a few other less noteworthy pieces). These watches, along with my Doxa Sub 300 (that I've had for a few years now), my Synchron Military PVD, and Sinn U50 have basically taken over my wrist and nothing else is getting much wear.

I think my next two big watch purchases will be an Omega Speedmaster and a Rolex Submariner but I want to fund them entirely through other watch sales so as I sell things now I'm putting the money aside in a special account. If I get more motivated and start actually posting more items up for sale, I could get the funds in relatively short order. Finding a Speedmaster won't be a problem, but the Rolex on the other hand.... Thankfully I'm in no hurry.

Once I get those two, I think my "collection" will be pretty much as complete as it will ever be and a lot more well-rounded than the tons of Seiko divers it had been in the past. Though I am sure there will be a few other random purchases here and there, I'm no longer hoarding items. If I get a watch and wear it a couple times but then never again for a few months, out it goes.

There are some other watches in my collection I don't plan to part with anytime soon though. Off the top of my head:
Citizen Chronomaster
Omega Railmaster
Seiko Tuna
MKII PMWF Greywater
Seiko Orange Monster
Seiko SBCM023 perpetual calendar
Squale sub-39 60th Anniversary

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, there was some poo-pooing around the accuracy of Seiko movements, specifically some of the 4RXX ones, if I'm remembering right (although there might have been some references to the 6RXX as well).

I thought the disdain for their accuracy seemed odd, so I figured I should take a look in my meager collection and see if that held up. As always, YMMV.

For the past 11 days, I've been wearing the 2nd Generation Seiko Orange Monster I bought back in February of 2016. It's got the 4R36 movement in it. Usually, I wear it maybe 10 times per month, depending on my mood and what's currently striking my fancy. So, it gets work, but not everyday work. Over the past 6 years, it's probably seen about 2 years total on my wrist. Is that a lot or a little? I dunno.

Anyway, after 11 straight days of regular wear, it's currently running 21 seconds slow. By my math, that's slightly less than -2 seconds/day and well within acceptable specs. If you're one of those guys who's seeing their 4RXX movement way out of spec, I'd recommend getting it recalibrated. Because, when it's right, it's pretty freakin' right, according to my wrist.

Apologies for the blurry pic. I'm lazy.

IMG_5700.jpg

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Michigan Planner How do you like the Hamilton Intra-Matic Panda? Like you, I want a Speedmaster, but those Hamiltons appeal to me in a different way. Looks like they can be had for $1,600 on Jomashop.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you sell your watches? I have a few on Chrono24 and eBay but hate paying those fees. Buy and sell is pretty dead.

I've used WatchUSeek for 99% of the watches I've sold over the years. It gets tons of traffic, is simple to use, and there are no fees. I've found that it's really efficient to put multiple watches in a single listing if they all have a common theme (I put up one post for my Sinn watches and another for my MKII watches and that worked really well and I am going to make another post soon with "budget divers" or microbrands) - just put in one standardized photo for each and then write a quick blurb, give the price, and tell readers to PM you for more details. That way I don't have to put up tons of photos all at once which is always the most time consuming part and the biggest obstacle.

Reddit has a r/watchexchange forum that has a ton of eyeballs on it but it moves too fast for me to use it to post things for sale in there, though I have heard from others that it works really well for them. They do have a weekly, "Wanted to Buy" thread too and I go through there every week or so to see if anybody is looking for something I am thinking about selling and I have reached out to users on there and made a few sales that way.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Michigan Planner How do you like the Hamilton Intra-Matic Panda? Like you, I want a Speedmaster, but those Hamiltons appeal to me in a different way. Looks like they can be had for $1,600 on Jomashop.

I'll have to get some photos of mine but I really like it. mine is the 38mm manual wind and I absolutely love the fit. A few years ago I had a Longines Heritage 1973 panda that was just so beautiful in every way but the cushion case just did not fit me comfortably so I sold it. Back around Thanksgiving I came across a picture of one on Instagram and it made me miss mine but then I remembered the Hamilton.

I really liked the Hamilton when they were first introduced but the price seemed a bit high so I put that thought on the backburner. Fast forward to when I saw the Longines and I decided to give the Hamilton another look and found that the prices had come down significantly on the secondary market. After a bit of searching, I found one that was a catch-and-release with stickers and hangtags still attached for about $1,400 so I snagged it.

Just the other day I also bought the mesh bracelet from Hamilton but I have yet to put it on the watch. Maybe I'll do that later today and get a couple shots of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads