• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tweedlover

Reaction score
Absolutely.

Here is an example. I've corrected the time on my SPB143J1 about a week ago (maybe less) and here is what is going on. The watch is losing about a minute per day, which is absolutely horrendous for a modern watch and for the price. I paid $1,800 CAD (including tax) (they did not have any sale on this model) which is not cheap.

51815181999_13a712a622_b.jpg

The watch is great. The movement sucks.
A minute a day is pretty bad. Even my Armitron which I paid about $45 for years ago keeps better time than that. ;)

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just ordered a Baltic
Which Baltic did you get? When the GMTs first came out for preorder, I thought about getting one with the blue bezel as a fun summer watch but decided not to pull the trigger. The MR01 looks okay, but I just have other watches I'd like to purchase before something like that.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Here is an example. I've corrected the time on my SPB143J1 about a week ago (maybe less) and here is what is going on. The watch is losing about a minute per day, which is absolutely horrendous for a modern watch and for the price. I paid $1,800 CAD (including tax) (they did not have any sale on this model) which is not cheap.

51815181999_13a712a622_b.jpg

Yikes! Well, if it's any consolation, this proves the 6R is definitely a tier up from the 4R as I'm now slow 1 minute and 45 seconds a day.

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
Yikes! Well, if it's any consolation, this proves the 6R is definitely a tier up from the 4R as I'm now slow 1 minute and 45 seconds a day.
Are you sure the watch is not just magnetized? Sounds like a pretty huge deviation even for the 4R movement.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about sending my watch to the Seiko service centre.

If regulation is all that you need done, I would not send it to the Seiko service center unless it's way outside of specs. I've heard anecdote accounts of people sending in watches to be regulated that are within specs and swearing that they got the exact same unregulated movement back. I've also heard that Seiko doesn't regulate watches that are out of spec because it's cheaper to pop in a new movement, which means you're likely getting back an unregulated movement. Better to send it to one of the private repair places that specialize in Seiko's if regulation is all that you want done.

For those with the 6R15 and 6R35 movements, here are some helpful tips:

- I always wind the watch 20 times when picking it up and setting the time. The low beat rate causes Seiko's to experience erratic time keeping when they are towards the end of the power reserve. The same holds true if you simply pick it up and wind it 2-3 times and set the time. It'll be more accurate if it is wound more before you set the time.

- Whether it be dial up or something else, position impacts a Seiko's accuracy when it is not worn. Store it in a position that somewhat corrects for any inaccuracies.

- If this stuff bothers you, I'd move on to watch brands using the Miyota or swiss movements. I'm at a point with my collection that it doesn't bother me with regard to watches I really like or bond with, but would not pick a Seiko movement over an ETA if I was looking at two fairly equivalent watches. That said, I love the two Seiko's that are in my regular rotation, the SPB143 and the Marine Master Reduced 42 mm, which are both running roughly +5-10 on day 1 and when regularly worn, but significantly faster when sitting unworn.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A minute a day is way out of spec so I'd expect there is an issue and would just replace the movement. Prices have gone up on them lately but they should be under $60 (used to be $40-$45). Not sure what the installation cost would be.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you sure the watch is not just magnetized? Sounds like a pretty huge deviation even for the 4R movement.

I did the compass trick and proximity to the watch doesn't move the compass needle so I don't think it is magnetized, but, anything's possible I guess.

The action on the crown is really 'gritty' so I'm thinking could be some shavings or dust or something gumming up the works, or perhaps that's just how it is on the Mini Turtle as I've seen several complain about that online, so it could also be that the main spring is hung up. Who knows. I'm taking it in for an estimate soon and will decide whether to keep throwing money at it or just cut my losses after I hear from the watchsmith.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Which Baltic did you get? When the GMTs first came out for preorder, I thought about getting one with the blue bezel as a fun summer watch but decided not to pull the trigger. The MR01 looks okay, but I just have other watches I'd like to purchase before something like that.
I ordered the Baltic Aquascaphe Bronze Blue.

I saw the latest Oris Brashear Bronze. Nice looking watch, 10yr warranty is awesome, but I don't want to pay $4k. Purpose of the watch for me is vintage style that will look old, worn, used, that I can bang, scratch and not care. The Baltic Bronze at $700 seems a better choice for what I want. But, I will not know until I get it and use it for a while.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've corrected the time on my SPB143J1 about a week ago (maybe less) and here is what is going on. The watch is losing about a minute per day, which is absolutely horrendous for a modern watch and for the price.

This is exactly why I’ve switched back to wearing quartz watches. A time-piece needs to keep good time in addition to looking great. I don’t care about its insides or its “soul”.

8F314F55-2722-4417-B9D2-1DC5A6070811.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got three of my nieces Swatches for Christmas. Swatch reissued their original 1984 models and the kids seemed to love them. They were terrible at understanding the analog dials, though, as their entire lives have been digital.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics