• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the Cocktail Time on casual office days when I don't want to think too much about it:

7ltLZ8Gh.jpg

l6G7zX4h.jpg

Last edited:

ErikW

Reaction score
New to me, Oris Big Crown Pointer Date Roberto Clemente limited edition. I've always had a soft spot for the Oris BC; just a simple, but well executed design.. This particular one came with a "signed" Roberto Clemente baseball and profits were donated to the Roberto Clemente Foundation. The back of the watch has his image pressed into the steel.

Watch1.jpeg watch2.jpeg

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went into a store yesterday with the intention of trying the SPB147, but they didn't have it. Instead, I tried the SPB143, which I was surprised with in terms of how nicely it fit. I thought it was going to be on the bigger side considering it's a diver's watch, but it appeared slightly smaller in person.

On the topic of the movement, my experience with the 6R35 movement is also not great. I have had my SPB165 for a couple of months now, and wear it for 2-3 days straight before rotating to something else. It seems to consistently gain anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes a week. I'm not one to care too much about accuracy, but 3 minutes is a bit much. The watch may have become magnetized somehow or the movement needs to be regulated.

SPB147 are very good watches. They look great and they are very comfortable on a wrist. Nicely done polishing and decent bracelet. If you can live with some accuracy issues (or you may get lucky and yours will be fine) you will have a great wrist companion )

Regarding 6R35 movement. Aside from SPB143J1 I have two other watches with the same movement. Two Baby Alpinists.

51013776333_402c470de8_b.jpg

They both were keeping a good time but the blue one has started going too fast recently. Since it happened suddenly I suspect they got magnetized.

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
New to me, Oris Big Crown Pointer Date Roberto Clemente limited edition. I've always had a soft spot for the Oris BC; just a simple, but well executed design.. This particular one came with a "signed" Roberto Clemente baseball and profits were donated to the Roberto Clemente Foundation. The back of the watch has his image pressed into the steel.

View attachment 1686303 View attachment 1686304
Nice Oris. And in this model, the date 21 is a great little detail too.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas! Need some help deciding another somewhat daily watch.

First the Longines. Nice white dial with a somewhat needless Moonphase complication that I just really like. Would also need to decide between the leather strap
or steel.

2735FF88-6ADF-46CB-95C7-34D038CA6633.jpeg
DC6530BB-2C7E-4452-B1CD-61F2DFF10747.jpeg

The other option is the Maurice Lacroix Aikon. Would go with the blue dial
the Automatic Sellita movement.

8D44A2BC-C205-4D9C-9159-236B74B263BC.jpeg
323B0BD5-CDF7-4939-92C3-16B1B83D1387.jpeg

i know they couldn’t be more different and I’m somewhat comparing Apples and Oranges here but these are two watches I really like at a similar price point.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@jtorres94 - Of those two, I really prefer the Longines (and I think it looks best on the leather, but the steel isn't bad either). The texture on the dial of the Longines is fantastic. The Maurice Lacroix isn't bad, but I think the Longines is a lot more legible. The Lacroix will also be more costly to change out the strap for something else if you cannot get a good fit on the integrated bracelet since you'll be stuck buying one of the specially designed straps from ML.

Frozenhaze

Reaction score

i know they couldn’t be more different and I’m somewhat comparing Apples and Oranges here but these are two watches I really like at a similar price point.

I'd choose Longines with a leather strap, it fits to that dial well, not so much with steel imo. Longines also gets my vote as a reputable brand with a long history.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First the Longines. Nice white dial with a somewhat needless Moonphase complication that I just really like. Would also need to decide between the leather strap
or steel.

View attachment 1687609 View attachment 1687610

The other option is the Maurice Lacroix Aikon. Would go with the blue dial
the Automatic Sellita movement.

View attachment 1687611 View attachment 1687612

It looks like you already have them both. I prefer the Longines on the steel but leather looks good also. Buy it on the bracelet for summer and put in on the leather strap for winter. I had the Maurice Aikon blue face with a bronze case. Still kicking myself for selling it (and far too cheap). Right now I would choose the Longines but ask me next week and I could change my mind...
20200301_150535.jpg

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Michigan Planner , @Frozenhaze
Nice points, guys, especially regarding the legibility. I also agree with the leather strap, just wasn’t sure if I was crazy for going with leather when steel is same price.

@Jazzmenco
These are just pictures i randomly stole off Google. But yea, easy to go back and forth. Last month I was set on the Aikon, this month it’s been the Longines.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just remember with a moon phase unless you plan on keeping it on a winder you may have to constantly be resetting it every time it runs down.
The ML one looks OK but I can’t stand APROs and this looks like it stole the dial material from one of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads