• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They might be large for some smaller wrists but overall - an amazing watch.

=====

Today my SPB143J1

51584516151_e6a448fbd7_c.jpg

Well, drat then re: small wrists. And, nice Seiko.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not great actually. I have to correct the time about every week. Looks like they are losing about 1-2 minutes.

Still within the rated accuracy? Which I don't recall, but is rather lenient, IIRC. Definitely the biggest drawback to me.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6R movement is rated +25/-15 /day

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ One of my favourite newer production watches (for this or the other thread).

How's the accuracy been for you? And I believe someone else here has one - @Newcomer, maybe? - so same question for them...
Not great actually. I have to correct the time about every week. Looks like they are losing about 1-2 minutes.

Last I checked, mine was gaining 5-10 seconds a day when worn regularly. I wind it 15-20 times when I set it, wear it for the day and typically see it has only gained a few seconds the next day. I've heard similar stories from others that own the 6R35: wear it every day and it has great accuracy; let it sit for a day or two and the numbers are more erratic.

tweedlover

Reaction score
This discussion of watch accuracy made me stop to realize that I don't particularly care that my watches be very accurate. If I like their looks and they're off by a few minutes after a couple of months, that's good enough for me. On the other hand, I have a few wall clocks which are battery operated and gain time as the batteries die off. When they get to be running over 5 minutes fast, that bugs me.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last I checked, mine was gaining 5-10 seconds a day when worn regularly. I wind it 15-20 times when I set it, wear it for the day and typically see it has only gained a few seconds the next day. I've heard similar stories from others that own the 6R35: wear it every day and it has great accuracy; let it sit for a day or two and the numbers are more erratic.

That could be the case.

I usually don't wear the same watch for several days straight, unless I am travelling. I did a trip with my SPB143J1 for 3 days and didn't notice unusual accuracy behaviour. I wasn't really watching though )

When I am not wearing my mechanical watches they are on a winder.

If I like their looks and they're off by a few minutes after a couple of months, that's good enough for me.

Same here. A couple of months would be perfectly fine. But when the watch is off for a minute or two after only a week - it is pretty noticeable.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few minutes after a couple of months would be fine, the problem is that with this rating it could be 25 minutes in two months.

Is this something that can be adjusted by a watch repair shop to be more accurate?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few minutes after a couple of months would be fine, the problem is that with this rating it could be 25 minutes in two months.

Is this something that can be adjusted by a watch repair shop to be more accurate?
Yes. One of the Seiko criticisms is that they ship watches that might be spot on in accuracy or off by 20 seconds a day. Seiko does not seem to do much to regulate their watches before shipping. On the other hand, there are microbrands that use Seiko movements and regulate them in multiple positions before shipping that gain or lose a few seconds per day. The one warning is that their movements run at a lower frequency than ETA movements, so Seiko is more prone to positional variances (running faster dial up versus dial down) and I've always noticed the accuracy change when the power reserve is at its end.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My 4R35 turtle was way off after I received it. Far outside the supposed tolerances. Had a local watch guy regulate it for 10 bucks and now it's pretty accurate.

I haven't tested it to see exactly how much it's off now but I only notice it being off a minute or two every couple of weeks. I have also noticed though it does not keep its accuracy when I take it off to wear something else, even if I hand wind it to keep it going while I'm rocking something else that day. I guess these just like to stay on your wrist all the time which is fine as this one is my main "every day" (almost) watch.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the accuracy can be regulated and improved upon, but the precision becomes spotty when worn irregularly. Thanks for the replies.

Are there any Seiko models with the same/similar design as the spb143, but with a better movement? Wasn't there a limited edition or something?

edit: It must be this one:

movement:

apparently rated at -10/+15 - not that much of an improvement, sadly. And being limited, maybe not even available?

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm another who doesn't pay much mind to the accuracy of my manual and automatic watches, primarily because I rotate what I am wearing so frequently that if one of my automatics is off by +/- 20 seconds a day, I am probably not wearing it long enough to notice that really add up.

There are some exceptions for me though - I sold my Yema Navygraf after just a few months of ownership and it's lack of accuracy was one of the primary reasons I got rid of it. By the end of the day it could be about a minute slow compared to where it was when I set it in the morning against time.gov or my G-Shock. If I wore it for two or three days, it would be off by 4 or 5 minutes.

When accuracy is a concern, I'll grab a quartz watch. I've got more than a few quartz watches including a G-Shock that automatically syncs to the atomic clock each night and an eco-drive Citizen Chronomaster that's rated at +/-5 seconds a year. I also had a spring drive Tuna that was +/- 15 seconds a month (IIRC) that was a fantastic movement. The only reason I parted ways with it was because I didn't like the way it wore (I wish Seiko would put a spring drive movement in their SBBN-sized Tunas).

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the accuracy can be regulated and improved upon, but the precision becomes spotty when worn irregularly. Thanks for the replies.

Are there any Seiko models with the same/similar design as the spb143, but with a better movement? Wasn't there a limited edition or something?

movement:

apparently rated at -10/+15 - not that much of an improvement, sadly. And being limited, maybe not even available?

There is a guy on YouTube called "one more watch" he primarily reviews sub $1000 watches, he will usually test the movements for accuracy amongst other stuff like Lume and Crystal quality, it's worth a look to see if he has reviewed any models with the movement your interested in, generally Seikos are always well inside the tolerances they quote, from what I have seen.

In fact I don't think I have ever seen him knock a Seiko for movement, it's normally the bracelets and bezel alignment he moans about.

EDIT: he has reviewed the watch your interested in

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ahh I've seen that guy. The Australian dude right? Mr. "I'm DONE with Seiko the quality control is horrendous I'm never buying or reviewing another Seiko ever!"

Next week: "Check out this new Seiko diver it's an absolute cracker!"

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

movement:

Well, TIL that there is an 8L35 movement. I thought 6R was the best you could get unless you wanted to go to the LX w/ spring drive or the higher end quartz Prospex.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads