• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seiko Presage Starlight 'Cocktail Time'
20210916_160116.jpg
20210916_155848a.jpg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah that does look nice. I'm wanting a blue dial watch now, but ugh not yet another Seiko. But will probably just end up getting yet another Seiko.

basu13

Reaction score
Yeah that does look nice. I'm wanting a blue dial watch now, but ugh not yet another Seiko. But will probably just end up getting yet another Seiko.
You could try giving Islander watches a shot. Essentially Seikos but with much better specs and good price points. A few sweet blue dial options as well.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could try giving Islander watches a shot. Essentially Seikos but with much better specs and good price points. A few sweet blue dial options as well.

Okay wow, now that I'm actually looking at these, they seem pretty nice.

basu13

Reaction score
Okay wow, now that I'm actually looking at these, they seem pretty nice.

Yup. Recommended from my side. They are pretty solid watches for the price with good customer service during the sales experience. Wide variety too.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had assumed they were all just Seiko Prospex clones and I already have one of those, but they actually got some variety here nice.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a half-dozen or so watches - all of them Poor Man's versions. At some point, I'd like more of a heritage watch, but I'm taking my sweet time. I figure I've only got one good shot to take on a higher end watch (regardless of what the OP of this board thinks about Omegas, they are not a Poor Man's watch), so I'm using these Poor Man's watches to figure out what I like and what I don't like and why.

I got this one about 8 years ago from a friend after I spent a couple days at his house ripping up about 500 or so square feet of tile and cheap engineered wood floors in his kitchen and family room. The tile was all from the 70s or 80s, back when they apparently used to lay down chickenwire and staple it to the subfloor before putting down mortar. The wood floors used some prehistoric form of glue that felt like it was bonded all the way down to the core of the earth.To say it was a PITA to remove everything was an understatement.

Anyway, he gave me this Citizen BL5400-52A as a thank you for helping him over a couple of days and included a receipt because he wasn't sure the watch was really my tastes. To be honest, it wasn't my taste, but I don't think you can really put a price on the sentimentality involved with the experience. So, it sits in my watch case, and I break it out every so often. Today, being the 8-year anniversary of the actual demolition, seemed like an appropriate day.

The watch has a number of issues. I mean, it's HUGE at 47mm. But, for all its size, it's surprisingly hard to read because of how closely the hands are colored to face. If one of the hands crosses over one of the chronos, you can kind of read it, but I'm really baffled that no one thought to change the visibility on a pilot's watch - given that the ability to read everything easily is kind of vital. Oh, and man is this watch busy. So many numbers everywhere. Maybe if I was into all the tricks and gadgets you can have on a pilot's watch, I'd get it. But, most of it's lost on me. Also, you need an advanced degree in engineering to set the perpetual calendar up. Also, it's kind of hard to photograph. The camera doesn't know where to focus, so instead it makes everything slightly blurry.

But, for all the issues, I still grin when I wear it - thinking back to that time when I just got dirty and gritty and grimy helping out a friend.
IMG_5421.jpg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, can't disagree w/ what you have said about Citizens. Not to mention, they aren't going to last forever like people say. Once that capacitor goes out and you realize the watch was discontinued years ago so you can't get parts, it's really toast.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a half-dozen or so watches - all of them Poor Man's versions. At some point, I'd like more of a heritage watch, but I'm taking my sweet time. I figure I've only got one good shot to take on a higher end watch (regardless of what the OP of this board thinks about Omegas, they are not a Poor Man's watch)...
Omega = Heritage watch

20210619_130411.jpg

I was gifted this one for achievements many years ago. I gifted Omegas to my kids and father.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega = Heritage watch

View attachment 1676738

I was gifted this one for achievements many years ago. I gifted Omegas to my kids and father.

Totally agree that the Omega is a heritage watch. Hopefully that came across in my original message. (I do find it funny that the first post in the Poor Man's Watch thread is a guy starting it because "I'm poor and only own an Omega").

When the time comes to pull the trigger, it's most likely going to be a blue Seamaster Planet Ocean model like this. But, with lil' Donkey in college for the next few years, that trigger time is not coming soon.

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 5.26.32 PM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads