• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case, don't let me stand in the way of justifying a new watch purchase... Lord knows I'm doing the same with a Doxa Sub 300T. I do like that Luminox I have because it's sort of "tacticool", with the plastic/whatever black case and I have it on a olive green NATO strap...looks good outdoors, it's the one I'll be wearing tomorrow through Monday at a mountain vacation in North Carolina, at least while I'm doing outdoors stuff, Chimney Rock, etc.

Re an armed survivalist adventure watch, how about this from Marathon:

View attachment 1648848
It's quartz, $200 MSRP, although only 34mm case. There are various other strap colors available, as well as ones with a date complication ($280 for those).

If I were actually looking for another 'tacticool' watch similar to my Luminox that I could beat up and not worry about the movement, this Marathon would probably be the one:

View attachment 1648849
41mm, quartz, $1,000 MSRP. I'd put it on a NATO or similar strap.

I've got the quartz version of that bottom Marathon (the TSAR). I've had it for about a decade now and have been really happy with it. It's usually available for relatively affordably compared to the automatic GSAR. It's great on a NATO strap but really, the Marathon bracelets are some of the most comfortable I've ever worn.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the quartz version of that bottom Marathon (the TSAR). I've had it for about a decade now and have been really happy with it. It's usually available for relatively affordably compared to the automatic GSAR. It's great on a NATO strap but really, the Marathon bracelets are some of the most comfortable I've ever worn.

Dammit...I love it. That would be a frivolous purchase, though. That box is checked for me right now, I think. I'm about to pull a trigger on that Doxa I posted about. I'm also looking at an Explorer. And I want one of the solar Tanks when they're released. Too much...

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lum Tec Combat B
assembled in Ohio, USA
3A836654-6BE5-4CE8-9839-86A236C93737.jpeg

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dammit...I love it. That would be a frivolous purchase, though. That box is checked for me right now, I think. I'm about to pull a trigger on that Doxa I posted about. I'm also looking at an Explorer. And I want one of the solar Tanks when they're released. Too much...

Is this where we point out it's quartz, relatively cheap and bullet-proof in order to enable your purchase?

Would it help to point out that I bought a 300 Professional last week and have a 300T aquamarine coming tomorrow? Let's just say I was a little surprised by how much I love the 300 Professional and my Synchron Military and figure why wait on a 300T aquamarine.

I really am pretty done now, though, as I know exactly which watches are going to get sold to keep my collection under 20.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this where we point out it's quartz, relatively cheap and bullet-proof in order to enable your purchase?

Would it help to point out that I bought a 300 Professional last week and have a 300T aquamarine coming tomorrow? Let's just say I was a little surprised by how much I love the 300 Professional and my Synchron Military and figure why wait on a 300T aquamarine.

I really am pretty done now, though, as I know exactly which watches are going to get sold to keep my collection under 20.
Ugh. I think we had a version of this conversation in the other thread. The Doxa 300T is a lock for me, it's just a matter of when. It will be the Professional, too.

And the quartz, cheap, bulletproof characteristics are all things I want in a watch like that Marathon or my Luminox. I think the only reason I'm not seriously considering that Marathon right now is because (1) that 'slot' in my collection is already filled and it's too similar to the Luminox; (2) I'd rather put that $900 toward the Explorer. The Doxa I can justify buying now/soon because I don't have a big chunky diver like that (I consider my Oris Whale Shark a GMT first, not a 'true' diver), and I certainly don't have anything similar to it. I'll also get a lot more use out of the Doxa living within 30-45 minutes of several beaches.

Trit

Reaction score
In that case, don't let me stand in the way of justifying a new watch purchase... Lord knows I'm doing the same with a Doxa Sub 300T. I do like that Luminox I have because it's sort of "tacticool", with the plastic/whatever black case and I have it on a olive green NATO strap...looks good outdoors, it's the one I'll be wearing tomorrow through Monday at a mountain vacation in North Carolina, at least while I'm doing outdoors stuff, Chimney Rock, etc.

Re an armed survivalist adventure watch, how about this from Marathon:

It's quartz, $200 MSRP, although only 34mm case. There are various other strap colors available, as well as ones with a date complication ($280 for those).

If I were actually looking for another 'tacticool' watch similar to my Luminox that I could beat up and not worry about the movement, this Marathon would probably be the one:

41mm, quartz, $1,000 MSRP. I'd put it on a NATO or similar strap.

I've never owned a Marathon but I've been close a few times. They have a 36mm version of a "big" style sports watch that is way too rare these days.

marathon.PNG

basu13

Reaction score
The Marathon quartz is indeed a cool watch, and a bit of an acquired taste in terms of its brutalist design. I especially love the anthracite 41mm version. Only thing I'm not too find of is the tritium markers.

IMG_20200913_104059895__01.jpg

The quintessential tool watch slot in my watchbox, on the other hand, is currently occupied by the Seiko Tuna.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Marathon quartz is indeed a cool watch, and a bit of an acquired taste in terms of its brutalist design. I especially love the anthracite 41mm version. Only thing I'm not too find of is the tritium markers.

View attachment 1649170

The quintessential tool watch slot in my watchbox, on the other hand, is currently occupied by the Seiko Tuna.

I love this watch. I was excited to find there is a "Mini" version of the Tuna but after looking at it, just doesn't compare to the OG.

basu13

Reaction score
I love this watch. I was excited to find there is a "Mini" version of the Tuna but after looking at it, just doesn't compare to the OG.
True -the mini Tuna by itself is a solid watch, but when it comes to the actual build and overall quality, It cannot hold a candle to the Marinemaster. Gotta love that searing lume on the Tuna!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads