• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Submit, to your interstellar overloards!
H4174-L261576382_original.jpg

Megakurth

Reaction score
Crosspost from other watch thread.

I’m looking to grab a new leather watch strap in either croc or calfskin. That said, prices vary from a $30 eBay genuine (or at least that’s what it’s listed as) strap to $200+ on sites such as Hondinkee. At the end of the day, is the markup on pricier bands worth it? Am I missing something?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Crosspost from other watch thread.

I’m looking to grab a new leather watch strap in either croc or calfskin. That said, prices vary from a $30 eBay genuine (or at least that’s what it’s listed as) strap to $200+ on sites such as Hondinkee. At the end of the day, is the markup on pricier bands worth it? Am I missing something?
Some cheaper bands will possibly give you an allergic reaction.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have bought straps from Vietnam on Ebay. You have to make sure that the strap you buying is exact item and not just a general repres. You can tell; if the item is listed as multiples or as a single unique item. Then also check pics to make sure you are ok with manufacturing quality. Usually the skins and craftsmanship on a cheaper straps is spotty and better on the Ebay straps that start at 45-50 level. My bet is Hoodinky buys their straps in Asia and just upcharges for quality control. The quality of what Hoodinkee sells is exactly the same or worse than Vietnamese sellers who would actually do custom strap for little to no upcharge.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out ZicZac Leather, which is a Vietnam producer. They're affordable & allow full customization.

20210617_110237.jpg

20210222_161807.jpg

20210222_161831.jpg

I've got gator & croc straps ranging from <$100 to >$700. There are quality differences but not equitable w/ cost differences.

Also, there are stamped leather (imitation) croc / gator straps from Hirsch & others that look great.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Submit, to your interstellar overloards!
View attachment 1648635

I've always been intrigued by these kinetic Sporturas. IIRC they were a quite complicated handmade kinetic movement with a titanium case and bracelet and produced in pretty limited numbers. I've never been able to figure out what the MSRP was on them (granted, I haven't really searched that hard) but a few years ago they were going for about $1,500 and now they seem to fetch between about $1,800 and $2,200.

It's definitely a... unique looking watch.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't "genuine" leather indicate that the leather is the lowest grade, often multiple layers bonded together with glue and painted?

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea on the construction of "Genuine Leather" But mine was from Hadley-Roma

• Genuine Louisiana Alligator Sides; semi-matte finish
  • Hypo-allergenic and water-resistant leather lining
  • Hypo-allergenic 316L stainless steel buckle
  • Band width: 18 mm (width of band at the case lugs)
  • Handcrafted in the U.S.A.
A few sizes and colors in stock although the price varies.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still love my Mini Turtle, but, now that I plan to start going shooting again, I'm maybe considering a quartz field watch to just throw a canvas strap on. I don't want to mess up the movement with all the vibrations from the recoil.

Ideally would like an Eco Drive, but man Citizens just don't look good to me generally. Found a few field/pilot watches that look okay, but the dials are just too big on those.

May just settle for the BM8180-03E

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out ZicZac Leather, which is a Vietnam producer. They're affordable & allow full customization.

View attachment 1648648
View attachment 1648646
View attachment 1648647

I've got gator & croc straps ranging from <$100 to >$700. There are quality differences but not equitable w/ cost differences.

Also, there are stamped leather (imitation) croc / gator straps from Hirsch & others that look great.

Some of the calf straps from that ZicZac Leather look really good. I'm not a big leather guy but I've wanted to get something for my Omega Railmaster and didn't want to spend too much. These look like good options.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still love my Mini Turtle, but, now that I plan to start going shooting again, I'm maybe considering a quartz field watch to just throw a canvas strap on. I don't want to mess up the movement with all the vibrations from the recoil.
When I go shooting, I wear either an old $50 digital Casio (non G-Shock) or a quartz Luminox on like this, but on a NATO strap:

1628097175471.png

Wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a watch with some kind of drop table complication...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I could just slap on my Gshock when I go shooting, but, I got a hair up ****** wanting an Eco Drive again and this could be an excuse to get one by pretending like I'm going to go on some armed survivalist adventure in the woods or something one day and actually need a solar quartz movement.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I could just slap on my Gshock when I go shooting, but, I got a hair up ****** wanting an Eco Drive again and this could be an excuse to get one by pretending like I'm going to go on some armed survivalist adventure in the woods or something one day and actually need a solar quartz movement.
In that case, don't let me stand in the way of justifying a new watch purchase... Lord knows I'm doing the same with a Doxa Sub 300T. I do like that Luminox I have because it's sort of "tacticool", with the plastic/whatever black case and I have it on a olive green NATO strap...looks good outdoors, it's the one I'll be wearing tomorrow through Monday at a mountain vacation in North Carolina, at least while I'm doing outdoors stuff, Chimney Rock, etc.

Re an armed survivalist adventure watch, how about this from Marathon:

1628104278829.png

It's quartz, $200 MSRP, although only 34mm case. There are various other strap colors available, as well as ones with a date complication ($280 for those).

If I were actually looking for another 'tacticool' watch similar to my Luminox that I could beat up and not worry about the movement, this Marathon would probably be the one:

1628104483313.png

41mm, quartz, $1,000 MSRP. I'd put it on a NATO or similar strap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics