• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captain O

Reaction score
The worst is knowing a watch would look ugly on you, or is ugly in general, but still loving how it looks. Been eyeing this Bulova, but, no way, no how.

81exojFJrlL._AC_UY500_.jpg
I like that. It is a hot-looking watch!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm picking it up a bit late, but I found the earlier question of what is a poor man's watch very interesting because to my mind, there's always been three ranges (and even four if you want to separate high horology from your run of the mill Omega/Rolex/IWC, which is where high end starts for me.

It's the mid tier (roughly in the one to three thousand dollar range) that I really find interesting. Brands, mostly using ETA or Sellita movements, such as STOWA, Sinn, Foris, Doxa et al. It's here that I think one can really find an amazing amount of watchmaking for the buck without jumping up to the in-house 5K threshold.

For me, a poor man's watch is definitely sub 1000 and arguably under five or six hundred clams or bones or whatever you call them.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It does. The model name is 1918 which is referring to the year.

Here is another model with a similar spirit.

longines-heritage-l2-812-4-23-2-2000x2000.png
What is the purpose of angling the watch like this?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Probably bc the winder's at the 12 position.

Oh wait, this isn't actually one made in 1918, so, yeah I have no idea. Nevermind.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The watch was made for pilots to help them read the dial "there was a purpose for this unconventional aesthetic as it provided a direct view when a pilot’s arm was outstretched to the controls (and they often wore it on the underside of the wrist)"

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn it I just ordered the damn Bulova. Justified the purchase by telling myself a chrono may come in handy since I'm again working a position where I have to bill hours.

Now, I need advice. Dark brown, or light brown strap? Gold or silver buckle?

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This really is among the best looking PMWs I’ve seen in a while.
Several years ago someone posted a similar diver but in smurf blue with a domed crystal and a vintagey look to it. It looked really cool. Can’t remember if it was from this brand or not. I seem to remember it was a limited edition and I was itching to pull the trigger on one but then remembered I have an actual smurf blue Sub as my daily beater and the PMW wouldn’t get much use.
I still like the looks of this. I think it’s the sparse numbering on the dial. I really dislike hash mark overload.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest, Axios Ironclad "black pearl" A bit disappointed. Bought it specifically for the beautiful mother of pearl dial that really pops on the web site, but in the real world it is very fickle and only shows itself under optimum lighting conditions. I took several shots and none did it justice. I doubt people will even notice it. Otherwise it is a great quality watch but looks like just another dive watch with a greyish dial....... :confused2::dozingoff::eh:

20210323_164459.jpg
20210323_164129.jpg
20210317_165623.jpg

Captain O

Reaction score
My latest, Axios Ironclad "black pearl" A bit disappointed. Bought it specifically for the beautiful mother of pearl dial that really pops on the web site, but in the real world it is very fickle and only shows itself under optimum lighting conditions. I took several shots and none did it justice. I doubt people will even notice it. Otherwise it is a great quality watch but looks like just another dive watch with a greyish dial....... :confused2::dozingoff::eh:

View attachment 1581904 View attachment 1581907 View attachment 1581911
That's aesthetically impressive.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This really is among the best looking PMWs I’ve seen in a while.
Several years ago someone posted a similar diver but in smurf blue with a domed crystal and a vintagey look to it. It looked really cool. Can’t remember if it was from this brand or not. I seem to remember it was a limited edition and I was itching to pull the trigger on one but then remembered I have an actual smurf blue Sub as my daily beater and the PMW wouldn’t get much use.
I still like the looks of this. I think it’s the sparse numbering on the dial. I really dislike hash mark overload.

Are you thinking of this one? Not smurf blue, but definitely a vintage aesthetic and an acrylic crystal.

Neptune 8.jpg
Neptune 9.jpg

Regarding the Halios, the quality is very nice and there is a ton of bang for the buck. It really nails the details and deliver a high quality watch at a PMW thread price. If it were a swiss brand, it would be priced between $2,000 and $3,000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads