• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I love it! These older TAG Heuer watches have really been growing on me over the past year+ and they can be found at some great prices. I really like the size of them and how most of them have quite a bit more color than a lot of the current offerings.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jazz, don’t you own a Deep Blue with a similar colored dial? I’ve looked for that color/model for awhile, but I think this new one you have will do just fine. Good looking watch. I’ve submitted my email to Serious to get on the list when it comes back in stock. Thanks.
I think you mean this one. The indices are baby blue.
20190107_105658.jpg

monkey66

Reaction score
I love it! These older TAG Heuer watches have really been growing on me over the past year+ and they can be found at some great prices. I really like the size of them and how most of them have quite a bit more color than a lot of the current offerings.
I bought this new about 25 years ago from the Tag Heuer outlet shop at Bister for about £350. Was a daily wearer for years then not much for last 10 years or so. A few years ago I fitted the leather strap and have started wearing it again with casual outfits.

It is ageing well.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1558919
I think I'm cured, but may be too soon to say.

More on each watch as I put some wrist-miles on them.
[/QUOTE]

I've been chasing a Tudor Black Bay Bronze Blue Bucherer (BBBBB) since it debuted in 2018. I finally landed a NIB piece in December. It's destined to be a gift for my son when he graduates from university later this year (blue/gold school colors!)
For those unfamiliar, Tudor (and other top watch manufacturers) produced special edition watches to commemorate Bucherer's (a huge watch retailer in Switzerland) 130-year anniversary. The catch was - you had to buy the watch in-person at one of their 16 retail stores in Europe. No on-line, email or phone sales!
View attachment 1558917
Anywho, that purchase and posts like @mreams99 above gave me the itch to add a bronze watch to my collection. And that itch became a full-on rash! My latest addition arrived Thursday.
View attachment 1558918

View attachment 1558919
I think I'm cured, but may be too soon to say.

More on each watch as I put some wrist-miles on them.
The bronze game has been ratcheted up a notch...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this new about 25 years ago from the Tag Heuer outlet shop at Bister for about £350. Was a daily wearer for years then not much for last 10 years or so. A few years ago I fitted the leather strap and have started wearing it again with casual outfits.

It is ageing well.
I like this. Got a bit of a soft spot for Tags. My first semi decent watch I bought as a present to myself when I got my masters in 1991. Plain black face quartz diver on a jubilee style bracelet. Like you I wore it every day for about 20 years till I started to up my watch game (sub!) around 2010. It cost me $450 on interest free credit with a free plastic formula 1 watch thrown in which I wear to the beach. Both watches ticking along nicely with battery changes every five years. My watch was available in black, navy or lume dials, same price for all. Been used for scuba to no ill effect. A few years later they changed to a red and green TAG emblem.
In 2017 I got the Autavia chrono which is a really nice weekender my only beef being the date window is too small for my ageing eyes. They brought out a second version a year or two back with a red second hand and what seems like might be a bigger date window so I’m lazily contemplating some sort of swap. I love the 1-12 rotating bezel which is useful for when I travel.
F58BBC43-B7D7-4ADC-85B9-D3D20467C0BF.jpeg

Goofy

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Terrible idea. Wrists will turn green and cuffs run the risk of getting stained. There’s a reason why bronze watches tend not to be fitted with bronze bracelets. Not even bronze casebacks.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

Terrible idea. Wrists will turn green and cuffs run the risk of getting stained. There’s a reason why bronze watches tend not to be fitted with bronze bracelets. Not even bronze casebacks.
[/QUOTE]
You didn't "watch", see what I did there...

The case back and inside of the bracelet is stainless.

sarteaga

Reaction score
Gentlemen, question; my dream watch has always been an IWC Portuguese. I'm not drawn to the name but to the design of the watch. I've found a company; Vincero that makes a very close design to the Portuguese. I've found one on ebay for a decent price on the bay from Vincero. Any other brand you guys recommend? Thanks!

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which particular IWC Portuguese do you like?

And are you looking for something that's a very close copy/homage? Or would you like something that merely has a similar style, but is from an actual reputable maker?

If the latter, here's a couple of suggestions:

First a real Porto Chrono to compare to:

1614004720713.png

Alternatives:

Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope:

1614004805794.png

Hamilton Jazzmaster:

1614005709918.png

Or something from Longines:

1614005750597.png

sarteaga

Reaction score
Which particular IWC Portuguese do you like?

And are you looking for something that's a very close copy/homage? Or would you like something that merely has a similar style, but is from an actual reputable maker?

If the latter, here's a couple of suggestions:

First a real Porto Chrono to compare to:

View attachment 1560211

Alternatives:

Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope:

View attachment 1560212

Hamilton Jazzmaster:

View attachment 1560217

Or something from Longines:

View attachment 1560218

Spot on, the chrono. Thank you!

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
my watch of the day

watchofday%2Bstrela%2Bfeb%2B22%2B2021%2B1.jpg

Strela 45 mm Poljot 3133 movement

watchofday%2Bstrela%2Bfeb%2B22%2B2021%2B2.jpg

Rather busy here on the dial, both a tachometer AND a telemeter scale, can measure both speed and distance to visible event (must be heard as well ))

watchofday%2Bstrela%2Bfeb%2B22%2B2021%2B3.jpg

Prime mover: Poljot 3133, some people even know what it is, but mainly they congregate in Russian watches on formerly Bernie's and now Vertical Scope's watchuseek

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads