• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of us don’t pay much attention to the (unstated?) $1,000 PMW threshold anymore. That other thread has gotten so repetitive with pictures and discussions of Rolex, AP, PP, Cartier, VC or other super high end watches that it’s almost unbearable.

I like that this thread is generally so much more welcoming of a wider variety of watches.
I followed the other thread off and on but eventually turn it off, gets pretty obnoxious.

I agree. Love seeing the variety here.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So there is no product placement in the films?

I have seen ‘Jackie Brown’ and don’t remember the watches. I also read the book.

One thing I do know was that the actor in ‘Jackie Brown’ was also the chap who helped Walter White to disappear to a new life in ‘Breaking Bad’. He looked a lot older then.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I'm poor and only own an Omega, I figure I better have the right one! I have the opportunity to trade my SMP for a PO. If I do this I'd need to add some money (don't know about 1K) to sweeten the deal. What do you think of these two beasts? Right now I have the Seamaster Pro:
2123041200100220.png
I could have the Planet Ocean instead (would need to add 1K):
2201510020.png
Which would you recommend? (For the watch snobs, they're both the same co-axial movement, although the PO is 42mm and the SMP 41mm.) My attire is fancy, slim fit dress shirts and pants. I wear a suit every few weeks but not every day. I'm early thirties going on 17, and on weekends am more likely to be found wearing a nice polo and diesel jeans. Thanks in advance my esteemed SF members!
Check the dimensions. I think you’ll find that the PO is thicker than the SMP. Being an Omega fanboy, I own (and love) a couple of each, but the PO’s are definitely “chunkier.” I am not sure the PO fits the aesthetic you are looking for as well as the SMP, at least not on your dressier days.
Here’s an idea....
Keep your SMP and use the $1,000 to look for a nice vintage Seamaster. They make awesome watches for wear under a dress shirt. Nice and thin. I am traveling or I would leave you a couple pics for inspiration.

Last edited:

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not normally a fan of quartz or dive watches, but this one from Citizen appealed to me. Apparently the British military used to use these, although I didn't like the original rubber band so I swapped out.

IMG_1753.JPG

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check the dimensions. I think you’ll find that the PO is thicker than the SMP. Being an Omega fanboy, I own (and love) a couple of each, but the PO’s are definitely “chunkier.” I am not sure the PO fits the aesthetic you are looking for as well as the SMP, at least not on your dressier days.
Here’s an idea....
Keep your SMP and use the $1,000 to look for a nice vintage Seamaster. They make awesome watches for wear under a dress shirt. Nice and thin. I am traveling or I would leave you a couple pics for inspiration.
Curious why you replied to a 2011 post. Great answer, btw. Perhaps too late tho.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
;)
Curious why you replied to a 2011 post. Great answer, btw. Perhaps too late tho.
Because I had a brain lapse, that’s why. Thanks for pulling me into this decade. Although, the things I would tell my 2011 self if I only could.... :)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there is no product placement in the films?

I have seen ‘Jackie Brown’ and don’t remember the watches. I also read the book.

One thing I do know was that the actor in ‘Jackie Brown’ was also the chap who helped Walter White to disappear to a new life in ‘Breaking Bad’. He looked a lot older then.

I don’t recall any watch product placement in Jackie Brown, there is of course a memorable watch in another Tarantino film… ?

As for Rum Punch (the book Jackie Brown was adapted from), it is a great book. I’ve also got a little personal brush with the movie: when my wife and I moved to our neighborhood I soon learned that Elmore Leonard lived a couple blocks over from us. I would see him at the grocery store all the time. I always regret not approaching him one of those times. Oh well. We were of course some of the nosy neighbors who went and toured his house when it hit e market after his death.

Seiko ska367 for today:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall any watch product placement in Jackie Brown, there is of course a memorable watch in another Tarantino film… ?

As for Rum Punch (the book Jackie Brown was adapted from), it is a great book. I’ve also got a little personal brush with the movie: when my wife and I moved to our neighborhood I soon learned that Elmore Leonard lived a couple blocks over from us. I would see him at the grocery store all the time. I always regret not approaching him one of those times. Oh well. We were of course some of the nosy neighbors who went and toured his house when it hit e market after his death.

Seiko ska367 for today:

Elmore Leonard was the master of dialogue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads