• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have wanted to try a bronze watch for a while. I finally picked up this Aragon Hercules yesterday and gave it a little patina to start.
9115A9A7-4B9C-4A0E-99F0-6FCDC8234ED1.jpeg

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like bronze watches when they're new, and some of the pics I've seen of oxidized ones look great, too, but I think it would drive me up a wall to have one to slowly turn black on my wrist.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like bronze watches when they're new, and some of the pics I've seen of oxidized ones look great, too, but I think it would drive me up a wall to have one to slowly turn black on my wrist.
I don’t think it will turn black. Regular wear will keep the patina to a manageable level. I think it will eventually be a copperish-green, with darker spots in the crevices and brighter spots on the edges.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great!

How did you "give it a little patina..."?

I googled different methods.

One method that sounded interesting was the potato chip method. I crushed up some salt & vinegar chips and added vinegar to make it mushy. There was another method called the Miracle-Gro method that combined Miracle-Gro fertilizer with vinegar. I decided to combine the methods so I added a spoonful of Miracle-Gro to the mix. I put the watch in this mixture and let it sit for about five hours, covered in a ziplock bag. The result was pretty intense.
FCC00B7B-8638-443D-9675-87C56F13CC5C.jpeg
291A2CC9-D5DC-4623-9BFB-A96F1FEA83B1.jpeg

I thought that this was a bit too much contrast between the darker spots and the lighter spots. So I thought I’d try the egg method. I cooked an egg in the microwave, mashed it up, and put it in a ziplock bag. I put the watch in the bag for about 1-1/2 hours. I was surprised to see that it didn’t just slightly darken the lighter areas. It seemed to lighten up the dark spots as well. I like how it turned out.

7B21D75F-573B-4104-B34F-9986F67A00F8.jpeg
536BC855-6C41-4244-925E-C643049D2A09.jpeg

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I googled different methods.

One method that sounded interesting was the potato chip method. I crushed up some salt & vinegar chips and added vinegar to make it mushy. There was another method called the Miracle-Gro method that combined Miracle-Gro fertilizer with vinegar. I decided to combine the methods so I added a spoonful of Miracle-Gro to the mix. I put the watch in this mixture and let it sit for about five hours, covered in a ziplock bag. The result was pretty intense.
View attachment 1510549 View attachment 1510550

I thought that this was a bit too much contrast between the darker spots and the lighter spots. So I thought I’d try the egg method. I cooked an egg in the microwave, mashed it up, and put it in a ziplock bag. I put the watch in the bag for about 1-1/2 hours. I was surprised to see that it didn’t just slightly darken the lighter areas. It seemed to lighten up the dark spots as well. I like how it turned out.

View attachment 1510556 View attachment 1510557
Well, that just sounds delicious!

Watch looks good, too.

monkey66

Reaction score
Just wanted to mention some crazy deals at Leonard and Church. I am not sure but I think they may be closing for good :confused:

I found them on kick-starter years ago and bought a first edition watch. Since then I have bought a couple more. New York boutique value watch house. Really nicely made for the price, sapphire crystal and Japanese Seiko / Miyota movements. Leather on straps really nice too.

I have no affiliation or relationship just a customer.

I just ordered 2 more watches because the price is too good to miss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads