• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, today i was totally surprised by the new Casio Oceanus "Cachalot" good lord it looks amazing in person. the light dances off it.

My question is: at $2,500, is it still a "poor man's watch"?
I have been waiting to get a non-poor mans watch for some time, as i have enough.
But is stepping up to a $2,500 watch, and getting a Casio some sort of irony?
Or is a real flex watch? like the Grand Seiko of sports watches?

BTW, there are some other really nice lookers in the Oceanus range. if not a little "busy" as most Casio seem to be. But still. . . gorgeous.

I thought the Cachalot was closer to $1,600. Still pricey for a Casio but I've read nothing but glowing reviews of the fit and finish on the Oceanus line of watches.

The Oceanus watches aren't really my style but this limited edition "Space Brother" one is absolutely gorgeous:

1596036272559.png

As for whether a pricy Oceanus qualifies for this thread, I lean towards the more liberal side of things here and that out qualifications shouldn't strictly be limited to price but should also take brand into consideration and I welcome discussion of basically any Casio (or Citizen or Seiko or Orient) here as they get no love over on the other thread and if you aren't posting about some steel sport Rolex you had to wait 30 months for from the AD, you get no traction.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Sorry, i was just knocking 2 zeros off the yen. Yeah, $1,600 for you.
Pictures just don't do it justice. it is way more handsome than a Tissot Sea star. (in person)

Seiko and Citizen are staple aged brands with history. but Casio? is an innovator. and i feel that an Oceanus is the peak of what you can buy right now. at any price point. for sheer utility+beauty.
this was today's surprise.
3d0db22aa9ece03b19f4c31b79747149.jpg

Do yourselves a favor. look hard at Casio.

Because when i get to spend Brietling money? It might be on a Casio.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Amazfit T-Rex is the first smartwatch I see as a legitimate alternative to a G-shock. 47mm though...

Plenty of Oceanus under $1k. Quite the T-200s myself although philosophically too close to Rolex's design philosophy (if not the implementation thereof) for comfort.

monkey66

Reaction score
Omg. Just went on ebay and looked at vintage Zodiac ....that is one deep rabbit-hole.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m giving my Landmaster some love this week. Gotta get that kinetic battery charged up!

View attachment 1436495
I‘ve been saying for ages that for me one of the most useful complications is a GMT function but I don’t like cluttered dials. The solution of course is to make use of that deep flange for the GMT index which works perfectly here. I just don’t know how useful that compass bezel is. Put the dive bezel from the previous pic on that land master and Seiko might just boost me to PMW Nirvana!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I‘ve been saying for ages that for me one of the most useful complications is a GMT function but I don’t like cluttered dials. The solution of course is to make use of that deep flange for the GMT index which works perfectly here. I just don’t know how useful that compass bezel is. Put the dive bezel from the previous pic on that land master and Seiko might just boost me to PMW Nirvana!

The compass bezel instead of a dive bezel is my only complaint with this one. If Seiko had a titanium GMT MarineMaster with these measurements, I'd snatch that up. This fits so much more comfortably than my MM300 even though it's roughly as tall (the lug-to-lug is smaller and of course it weighs less). This one even comes with the same type of ratcheting bracelet that the MM300 has... though some people don't care for that bracelet in any case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads