• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha i seriously love grand seiko. I started out with Seiko when i was a uni student and have upgraded along the way. I mean its almost cliched but the finishing and spring drive as a technology... is incredible.

Also i posted this in "that" thread. but worth asking here too - thinking of getting a rotation of straps for the GS. thoughts on bordeaux vs. olive? in case anyone is interested same maker www.artisanstraps.com.au

Attachments

• bordeuax.JPG
    bordeuax.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 34
  • olive.JPG
    olive.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 50

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Wyler Vetta (inca block) Auto, 45 min. counter at 12, calendar on other subdials, chronograph + GMT at 6 o'clock. Limited to 1900. Breguet numerals on the fixed bezel is a nice touch.

Attachments

• w03.jpg
    w03.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 71

Irish95

Reaction score
Bought this for my son this week. I’m not a big fan of the strap, but he likes it. Put an oyster bracelet on it and it looked much better.
5E7CBCC1-80B7-4C94-A361-A8892C8F794D.jpeg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wearing my SBDL065 solar chrono the past few days. I really like how this one has a power reserve indicator in the minutes sundial. I wish all of Seiko’s solar watches had a similar feature.

937950FC-B35D-4328-A9CC-03E488A76822.jpeg
725946DA-016C-438A-9AC0-978A701A77FF.jpeg
F1BF210D-FF4A-448E-AA1A-9FBCAF97B4F9.jpeg
57C6943F-6B9F-42A7-9B55-3CA15FC67454.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice idea and very subtle. Does one hand do double duty? Is it activated with the stopwatch and resets to zero then returns to indicate power when you zero out the chrono?

Pity about the date window at 4 - that’s a deal breaker for me.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice idea and very subtle. Does one hand do double duty? Is it activated with the stopwatch and resets to zero then returns to indicate power when you zero out the chrono?

Pity about the date window at 4 - that’s a deal breaker for me.

Yes, when the chrono function is running, the subdial at 6:00 counts minutes and when you stop and reset the chrono, the hand on that subdial moves to the 12:00 position. When the chrono isn't running, if you press the reset pusher the hand on that subdial swings around to show the power reserve. Once you begin the chrono again, that hand swings back around to 12:00 and steps forward with each minute counted.

And while the date window at 4:00 isn't a deal breaker for me, this is probably one of the worst date windows I've seen on a Seiko. The combination of how miniscule it is, the low level of contrast between the numeral and the background, the angle, and how deeply it's set make it as close to impossible to read for me as possible.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, when the chrono function is running, the subdial at 6:00 counts minutes and when you stop and reset the chrono, the hand on that subdial moves to the 12:00 position. When the chrono isn't running, if you press the reset pusher the hand on that subdial swings around to show the power reserve. Once you begin the chrono again, that hand swings back around to 12:00 and steps forward with each minute counted.

And while the date window at 4:00 isn't a deal breaker for me, this is probably one of the worst date windows I've seen on a Seiko. The combination of how miniscule it is, the low level of contrast between the numeral and the background, the angle, and how deeply it's set make it as close to impossible to read for me as possible.
Thanks MP. I agree that’s a great feature of the solars. I have a Seiko solar PADI which I actually use for diving. There’s a lot of debate online about whether a dive watch needs a chrono. Some people think there should be divers and drivers and never the twain shall meet. I say stick a GMT on it too for a real Swiss Army knife watch - just move that date to 3 or 6!!

green_machine

Reaction score
Added a 78' Pepsi quartz diver to my collection (looks black but the dial is dark blue). Unfortunately someone painted the seconds hand tip red. :rolleyes: and it's got a non-Seiko band also... If it was the original gl band, it would have paid for most of the cost of the watch... Oh well, I'm still happy with it.

Incredible condition for being 42 years old.

IMG_20200520_145705.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads