• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went out with an old, trusted friend today. Question: I've had this watch for around 10-12 years now, and it's starting to lose substantial time very quickly. If I don't wear it for two days, it will stop or come close to it. What's the general consensus on servicing these (SKX007K)?

NG7KyGO.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this has left my wrist in well over a month. If it has, it wasn't for longer than a day. I've got another poor man's watch inbound today but this one is really making me rethink the rest of my collection. Is it possible I've found my "one watch"?

It's just the absolute perfect size for my wrist and the grab-and-go ease of quartz + perpetual calendar is awesome!

Went out with an old, trusted friend today. Question: I've had this watch for around 10-12 years now, and it's starting to lose substantial time very quickly. If I don't wear it for two days, it will stop or come close to it. What's the general consensus on servicing these (SKX007K)?

NG7KyGO.jpg

I would imagine that those are pretty easily and inexpensively serviced by most capable jewelers. I know it's a relatively inexpensive watch but you've had it long enough that if you still enjoy it and want to keep it longer, I'd recommend getting it serviced.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_2271.jpg

I have a question: I was given my Dad's old Omega De Ville a few years ago (I think he purchased it sometime between 1968-72). He added the solid gold bracelet after, presumably to accompany the gold casing (according to the Omega website, the watch is solid gold, but I find that hard to believe, actually...so perhaps it's gold plated?). Anyway, is the gold bracelet too bling-y, or otherwise in poor taste? Should I replace the gold bracelet with a leather strap? The proportions of the watch and the color of the gold make it quite understated overall, as far as my own view of gold watches go, but as an infrequent watch wearer, who wants to join the club, I'm trying to optimize the potential of this watch, without looking like a jerk. So, please advise? Thanks!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm generally not a fan of yellow gold, especially for bracelets, but I think that one works pretty well with it, and given its age and other Omegas of the same vintage, I imagine it's a bit smaller than many of the newer ones so it is probably a bit more subtle.

If you're really concerned though, I think that watch would look great on a dark brown leather strap.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NG7KyGO.jpg

007s aren't exactly rare, but, they are discontinued now and still highly popular. I'd definitely get it serviced. Probably just needs to be oiled and regulated.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First time poster to this thread. I’m curious to get your opinion on this Citizen radio control eco drive (AT9010-52E) that I just got from Amazon. I absolutely love the look of the watch, but I’m a little worried that it’s too big for my wrist (44mm case). I have between a seven and a 7” and 7 1/4” wrist. Thoughts? View attachment 1359326 View attachment 1359327 View attachment 1359328

I personally don't like them that big for myself, but that actually looks good on you. I'd keep it. So long as people don't mistake it for an Invicta, you're golden lol

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
007s aren't exactly rare, but, they are discontinued now and still highly popular. I'd definitely get it serviced. Probably just needs to be oiled and regulated.

Agreed, although I didn't know they were discontinued. What was it "replaced" by, if anything? Also, what is a reasonable cost for servicing, with the understanding that there will be some variation based on location?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed, although I didn't know they were discontinued. What was it "replaced" by, if anything? Also, what is a reasonable cost for servicing, with the understanding that there will be some variation based on location?

I believe it was replaced by the new Seiko 5 "Sport" line. They look a lot like the SXK but only water resistant up to 100M and not ISO certified, but have an upgraded movement that includes hand winding.

I'm in Houston, and had a place downtown oil and regulate a watch I had which cost me 100 bucks, but people said I overpaid. So I'm not really sure what it 'should' cost for that service.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it was replaced by the new Seiko 5 "Sport" line. They look a lot like the SXK but only water resistant up to 100M and not ISO certified, but have an upgraded movement that includes hand winding.

I'm in Houston, and had a place downtown oil and regulate a watch I had which cost me 100 bucks, but people said I overpaid. So I'm not really sure what it 'should' cost for that service.

I've got a four year old Seiko Shogun that is losing more than a minute per day, so was looking into various options. $100 for a full cleaning/servicing sounds pretty good to me. I was also looking at what it would cost to have Seiko do the service. IIRC, it's $250 and my research led to lots of suggestions that they do not actually service the watch, but, instead, just plop a new movement in there because it's cheaper to replace than repair.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a four year old Seiko Shogun that is losing more than a minute per day, so was looking into various options. $100 for a full cleaning/servicing sounds pretty good to me. I was also looking at what it would cost to have Seiko do the service. IIRC, it's $250 and my research led to lots of suggestions that they do not actually service the watch, but, instead, just plop a new movement in there because it's cheaper to replace than repair.

I suppose $100 is fair. Regarding Seiko replacing the movement instead of servicing the watch, what are the pros and cons of that?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose $100 is fair. Regarding Seiko replacing the movement instead of servicing the watch, what are the pros and cons of that?

I had a Seiko Sumo that a local respected watchmaker (I'm in Chicago) could not fix and actually made worse. I then had to send it in to the seller (it was still under warranty) and have no clue what he did with it, but it was still not fixed right. I sent it to the seller again, he sent it to Seiko and it came back working just fine. Based on this experience, I'm either going to send it to one of the places that specializes in Seiko repair (lots of independents you can find by researching on watchuseek) or Seiko directly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads