• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time poster to this thread. I’m curious to get your opinion on this Citizen radio control eco drive (AT9010-52E) that I just got from Amazon. I absolutely love the look of the watch, but I’m a little worried that it’s too big for my wrist (44mm case). I have between a seven and a 7” and 7 1/4” wrist. Thoughts?
DB7886BF-7E81-48A4-9541-3A7C6A060D70.jpeg
48C08479-DB36-48B1-A0D4-11E792C37F76.jpeg
D5A9F582-BF24-412A-BA6C-44A58A4879B1.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know much about those Citizens but the technology is impressive - if you take a flight to a different time zone don’t the hands just automatically move as soon as it picks up the new location sat?

Anyway it does look a bit big and current trends after a period of wearing hockey pucks are reverting back to more proportioned case sizes but I wouldn’t let that bother me over such a cool bit of kit. For all of its functions the dial is still not so busy (seen worse on a Breitling Navitimer!)

I used to own an IWC Portugesier Yacht Club World Timer which was huge and thick, but the main reason I flipped it was because once the novelty wore off I really didn’t care what time it was in Bangkok or Rio and found a moving 12 hour bezel to be a much more economical way of tracking a second time zone. Anyway - nice watch, enjoy.

skriefal

Reaction score
if you take a flight to a different time zone don’t the hands just automatically move as soon as it picks up the new location sat?

The hands won't automatically adjust because the watch doesn't know that it's in a different time zone. But it's relatively easy to set the watch to a different time zone and see the hands move backwards/forwards as needed. The GPS-based watches also won't automatically adjust for DST transitions because the satellites don't transmit a DST indicator. But radio-controlled watches like the AT9010 do adjust for DST.

I used to own the AT9010. But sold it quickly due to it being far too large for my 6-1/3" wrist (I prefer sub-40mm). It was a great watch other than the size.

skriefal

Reaction score
Here is a great choice for a solar, radio-controlled watch for those with less-than-average sized wrists. Or even for average-sized wrists. Casio's Oceanus OCW-S100. ~39mm (w/o crown) with titanium case and bracelet and a nice clean dial. And easy worldwide time zone adjustment via the subtle city code markers surrounding the dial. ~$500 USD and the quality is at least comparable to similarly priced Citizen and Seiko models. The one downside is the non-standard lugs that prevent using other straps.

Casio_Oceanus_OCW-S100.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice too but how come London isn’t UTC. I thought London / GMT / UTC were all the same apart from the summertime adjustment (which I hope and pray to any god who is listening we can all do away with in the near future!)

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time poster to this thread. I’m curious to get your opinion on this Citizen radio control eco drive (AT9010-52E) that I just got from Amazon. I absolutely love the look of the watch, but I’m a little worried that it’s too big for my wrist (44mm case). I have between a seven and a 7” and 7 1/4” wrist. Thoughts? View attachment 1359326 View attachment 1359327 View attachment 1359328
Thanks for that opinion. I appreciate it. The only large watch I own is a Casio G Shock, and it’s not nearly as big as some of the other versions of that watch.

I love the technology on the AT9010-52E, and so I’m also looking at watches with the same tech that are a little smaller. The problem is I don’t like the face on these as much as the AT9010-52E above. The two I’m considering are a little more formal; I’m looking for a watch that’s super versatile, ideally with a bracelet band. I have this CB0160-00E on order and might switch the band to a stainless steel one.
0016A544-085B-4CDE-847A-D11B101B21EB.png

I’ve also considered the CB0160-51L. It is the same as the model above but with a blue dial and stainless steel band.
AC6AA971-DF97-48CD-B87A-AF51A8AA987A.png

The black dial was a steal at $125 on eBay; the blue dial was also a good deal at $154 on eBay, both from the seller: officialwatchdeals.

Any thoughts are much appreciated from this indecisive and new watch enthusiast.

Last edited:

skriefal

Reaction score
Looks nice too but how come London isn’t UTC. I thought London / GMT / UTC were all the same apart from the summertime adjustment (which I hope and pray to any god who is listening we can all do away with in the near future!)

IIRC London has DST. UTC doesn't. Otherwise they're the same. And I agree that DST should go the way of the dinosaurs.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that opinion. I appreciate it. The only large watch I own is a Casio G Shock, and it’s not nearly as big as some of the other versions of that watch.

I love the technology on the AT9010-52E, and so I’m also looking at watches with the same tech that are a little smaller. The problem is I don’t like the face on these as much as the AT9010-52E above. The two I’m considering are a little more formal; I’m looking for a watch that’s super versatile, ideally with a bracelet band. I have this CB0160-00E on order and might switch the band to a stainless steel one.
View attachment 1359454
I’ve also considered the CB0160-51L. It is the same as the model above but with a blue dial and stainless steel band.
View attachment 1359456
The black dial was a steal at $125 on eBay; the blue dial was also a good deal at $154 on eBay, both from the seller: officialwatchdeals.

Any thoughts are much appreciated from this indecisive and new watch enthusiast.
42mm is quite large; the integrated bracelet means no straps. Note also the OK/RX/NO window is not something that changes (like the date wheel) but just a window around some dial writing. I find it a bit imbalanced as a result. Finally if you are a monarchist you will appreciate the fleur de lys on the seconds hands :p

Otherwise not a bad option for a cheap world timer. One of the cheapest options.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
42mm is quite large; the integrated bracelet means no straps. Note also the OK/RX/NO window is not something that changes (like the date wheel) but just a window around some dial writing. I find it a bit imbalanced as a result. Finally if you are a monarchist you will appreciate the fleur de lys on the seconds hands :p

Otherwise not a bad option for a cheap world timer. One of the cheapest options.
Thanks. That’s helpful. What do you think of the watch I’m wearing n the previous post I put up? It’s a citizen AT9010-52E.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thousands of these out there but they're hard to beat. Waiting for a strap from David Lane for the SARB035! :-D
Upgraded NH36 and Uncle Seiko tire tread strap for the SKX007.
seiko duio.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads