• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AmicusCuriae

Reaction score
my Orient Mako:

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daily driver.

8069B58A-1C2C-4E15-9FA7-088AB933C98E.jpeg
56F0D3DD-016A-473D-9CA7-E8A997463FA4.jpeg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A really attractive watch. Thanks for sharing it but poor man's?

I think this thread can be more than just the sub $1k price point. There is a lot that is overlooked in the other watch thread while everybody over there is busy talking about Rolex Daytona inventories in Kuala Lumpur or why they really need 14 different versions of the RO.

All that aside…

I’m going with the vintage Zodiac today.

CFAE080B-B0FC-4D01-BF99-91DE03FA2883.jpeg
EA5B43A4-C65C-4F66-B222-18F88BA31F3F.jpeg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had no idea there was such thing as a GS diver

They have a few different divers and I was originally looking at the spring drive version but I liked the dimensions on this one a little better. The spring drive is titanium and lighter weight but this one has a slightly smaller diameter and smaller thickness and fits on the wrist and slides under a shirt cuff a bit better.

I've been wearing an MM300 for years and my big complaint with that one is that it's so top heavy (a common complaint with that watch). This one looks very similar at a quick glance but is not as thick and is much more well balanced weight-wise. I already sold off one of my limited edition MarineMasters after getting this one and will probably sell off another one soon as I just don't wear them anymore.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that one - any idea of the year?
My first name brand watch was a Tag Heuer which looks very similar to that. Crown at number 3. It’s a quartz and cost me $450 in 1991 and came with a free black plastic F-1 watch, both still ticking away in the drawer.

I've never opened it up to look for a serial number to try and get an exact date but I think mine is from '84 or '85. They made this model from about '81 up to the early '90s. IIRC, '85 is when Heuer became TAG Heuer and these 1000m watches quickly adopted the TAG branding. Mine has the Heuer branding but has a TAG Heuer branded bracelet, which I'm told was original to the watch and the first couple years of this reference had an "N" in the reference number instead of an "L" and a slightly thicker case so, if all that is correct, mine was probably manufactured sometime around that change over.

Yours with the crown at 3:00 is probably the slightly newer Ref 982. Those were a little thinner case and only had 200m WR. I actually had the lumed dial "Night Diver" version of one of those that I acquired in a trade for my blue titanium Seiko Samurai. It was a great watch and fit more comfortably than this one but I missed my Samurai and when the guy I traded with asked if I wanted to trade back a few years later, I jumped on it. Zodiac also produced their green/red/blue dot "Professional" series using the same case and movement as the TAG Heuer 982. The 982 was made concurrently with the 980 for a few years so I don't know if I'd say that one is a replacement to this one.

When I tried to do some research on these years ago, it seemed that there was a ton of overlapping and co-branding and contract manufacturing between TAG Heuer, Heuer, Squale, Sinn, Zodiac, and a bunch of tiny French brands (not to mention Spirotechnique), all of which were using ETA movements and Monnin cases.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff.
I knew a lad who had that similar one to mine but the version with the luminous dual and black lettering. Seemed like a great idea but I don’t think that Tritium kept its lume for very long. It was also available in navy. Mine has a similar looking jubilee style bracelet with a fold over link near the clasp to expand it to go over a wetsuit. I even had it diving a few times and it held up fine. Now I use a Seiko PADI solar Prospex when I’m diving so I don’t risk losing my nicer watches to a broken spring bar.

I wrote about my old and new Tags on the blog a couple of years ago:

Last edited by a moderator:

WilYa

Reaction score
Latest addtion to my UG family
Quite a steal at $500
Did a bit of google and confirms the model is Polerouter Geneve Date from 1960

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_114311.jpg
    IMG_20200124_114311.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200124_114220.jpg
    IMG_20200124_114220.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 44
  • polerouter-11-df7bb.jpg
    polerouter-11-df7bb.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 46

ThePetros

Reaction score
Sorry to turn the topic but I’m looking to put together a watch. Does anyone have any experience with Raffles Dials? I read some positive stuff online, but has an odd way of processing orders and I’m apprehensive about it.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked this up from a fellow SF member. This is my first post here. Is the $1000 a hard limit? I have a couple vintage Omega’s that I picked up for just a bit north of that.

Latest addtion to my UG family
Quite a steal at $500
Did a bit of google and confirms the model is Polerouter Geneve Date from 1960
That really is a steal at that price. Where did you pick it up?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads