1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. styme001

styme001 Member

[​IMG]

Here's my little diverse collection of watches...beside the 2 Omegas (NOT poor man's watches) they are all pretty cheap and and fill a niche. (left) Omega Seamaster mid-size automatic was my graduation present and my daily wearer. (from top left) WeWood quartz wooden watch for my environmental awareness side. This gets a lot of attention b/c it's pretty chunky and made of wood.; Omega 2001 Schumacher Speedmaster on J. Crew band (alternate with Seamaster as daily); vintage Girard Perregaux manual on J. Crew band for my simple vintage/heritage manual wind fix; Seiko 5 blue dial with brown leather J. Crew band (my next favorite after the Omegas) for my need for a non-black automatic watch. (bottom left) G-Shock G306X-1A Street Rider series. analog/digital (you can't see it in the picture but it has a multi-color IP bezel) for my mountain biking excursions; Jacque Lemans Geneve GMT quartz (can't find anymore of these using Swiss mov't) for my try and find a quality cheap watch with GMT function when I was really poor but have the itch to buy a new watch fix; Burberry quartz when chunky leather wrist straps were in style (think Red Monkey watches) but wanting to stay within designer watches (like going against the institution; think "Burberry" and you certainly don't think this style of watch); and finally for my digital-only "I'm cool" fix, my Nixon The Genie. it has a "magic 8 ball"-like function.

Since I have my air and land watches by Omegas, now I'm looking for an aviator styled watch...Preferably a Bremont....OK not a poor man's watch...

2. lambeojoxx

lambeojoxx New Member

go to a jeweler in nyc and buy a vintage benrus, elgin, or omega watch for 100-200, not a butt-ugly new bulova or seiko. cmon.

3. Sander

Sander Distinguished Member

Try Archimede or Laco.

4. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

got my black mako that I bought with part of my super bowl squares winnings.

It's gonna take some getting used to the metal band...I've got the right number of links but I might need to move the spring bar adjustment again...not sure if I want it a little tighter or a little looser.

5. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior Member

That seems like a sign that it fits about right, haha.

6. unjung

unjung Distinguished Member

Lolwut?

It's a bloody automatic mate, of course you need to "move it to keep it going."

7. ASH007

ASH007 Member

Buy Vintage if you are on a budget and they hold their value well and almost always gets a compliment or two. Seamaster vintage from 1954 goes for about $500-600 SS.

8. djwoblely

djwoblely Senior Member

What do you guys recommend for a good value solid stainless steel 22mm bracelet?

9. TuckerSon

TuckerSon Active Member

Which watch do you guys recommend me to add to my watch collection (up to $300)?
    I currently have these two watches:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The Casio is usually worn casual while the Lorus is worn business casual / formal. (Only difference with the picture is that the leather band is black on my watch)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

How about an elegant stainless steel watch, for formal suiting? Or a chronograph, so you can be sporty and casual :D

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Distinguished Member

Maratac Mid-Pilot on Horween Cordovan NATO strap:

[​IMG]

Crap photo, but a nice watch.

12. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Distinguished Member

that watch is a steal imo. really nice.

13. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

Can anyone recommend a poor man's watch winder? Anything out there in the $20 range? (Seems stupid to buy a $40-50 watch winder for a $90 Mako...)

14. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Distinguished Member

not a poor man's watch, but not a rich man's watch either.

FC slimline.
    [​IMG]

15. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Distinguished Member