1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Guess it's also called the "Bambino". Terrible nickname if you ask me but still a great looking watch in all respects!

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

OK, It has been a long time but within the last 6 weeks I have recieved 2 MKII Kintgstons.

[​IMG]

These are my pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The watch in the middle has been my every day beater. It is a Raven vintage and a strong watch on it's own.

Here are some better pics of the Kingston than anything I can or will ever take:

[​IMG]

From this thread on the MKII forum:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f325/kingston-pics-inside-647058.html

This is really a nice watch. I still have to get a the bracelet resized but will be wearing it on a Hadley Roma. I do plan to get a light brown leather strap to wear it on since that seems to look great.

Now I am awaiting my 2 MKII GMT's. I hope it is not 2 year's. :D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I still think Christopher Ward make some of the best poor man's watches around. I've been wearing my CW Trident every day for the last two years and it's still a looker.

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

That is the name Orient Watch USA has given it and not Orient's own, if I'm not mistaken.

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Good watch. :slayer:

I was looking at the C60 Trident Khaki for a few months. I think they are very nice looking watches. I have only read good things about them.

6. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yes indeed. Great watch for the price, my favourite daily wear.

I bought a CW C5 Malvern automatic at the time, too. Another great looking, simple but elegant dress watch. Doesn't get quite as much time on my wrist as the Trident, but another great watch for the price.

7. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Senior member

thats my pic, u can find 30% off orient watch coupons by googling

heres some pics of that same watch on natos...im really happy with my purchase

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

That Orient looks much better on the leather strap, in my opinion.

9. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Pretty sure orient IS NOT owned by seiko.

10. Big T

Big T Senior member

Agreed, plus the replaced straps look a bit narrow.

11. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

"It has been a subsidiary of the Seiko Epson Corporation since 2001 and became a wholly owned subsidiary of Seiko Epson in 2009."
    -according to wikipedia

12. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

13. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

Nope.

14. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

you're right.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  15. jaw4527

jaw4527 Well-Known Member

thoughts on this rotary? can be found on a metal band for ~$150

[​IMG]

16. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Nice little homage to the Breitling Navitimer. I'm guessing it's got a little Miyota quartz heart beating away inside.

Not bad for $150 but I'd always encourage you to go for an automatic if it's within your budget.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  17. jaw4527

jaw4527 Well-Known Member

thats exactly what i thought when i saw it, very similar to the navitimer without the 6k price tag. its quartz, not sure on the specifics otherwise.

is there an automatic you can recommend that has that similar look around the same price?

18. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

To be honest, you won't find much with the Navitimer look and an auto in the same range. I'm always a bit wear about Rotary though, I just don't know how they'll hold up over time.

If you're open to a couple of other styles of Pilot's Watches, here's a few on the same price range that are much better in terms of fit and finish than anything Rotary produces.

Here's one by Graf Zepplin @ $229 and it sports an Swiss Quartz movement too (Automatics are tougher to come by in this price range[​IMG])!

[​IMG]

19. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Thank you.

OK, Finally had the bracelet sized. Actually I had it put on a Hadley Roma and resized.

I love it. Over the years since I ordered it I had concerns and second guesses but this watch is perfect for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. atila

atila Senior member

I do - the same as almost any other quartz movement watch. Japanese and Swiss quartz movements, for the most part, are about the same quality. You can keep that watch for the next 5-15 years. And when the movement dies on you? It might cost you between $30-50 to replace at any jewelry or repair shop.

We buy automatics cause we are watch aficionados, not because they are better "quality", They are more complex, they are more an "art" but dollar for dollar a quartz movement is probably a better value. You can buy a $30 Timex and the movement will last the next 20 years. Then, you can buy a new one for $30 or replace the movement for the same price. Lets not kid ourselves here.