• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a Seiko 5 of very recent vintage. 

after some more sleuthing, it looks like it's a Seiko SNZG05J1. seems like a japan-only model, like you said. :brick: why does that kinda stuff always happen to me? i'll keep looking, hopefully i'll find something available domestically that tickles my fancy. thanks again to everyone for all the help!

Last edited:

NiceGuyTom

Reaction score
after some more sleuthing, it looks like it's a Seiko SNZG05J1. seems like a japan-only model, like you said.
baldy[1].gif
why does that kinda stuff always happen to me? i'll keep looking, hopefully i'll find something available domestically that tickles my fancy. thanks again to everyone for all the help!

Here ya go:
http://www.skywatches.com.sg/reviews/japan-seiko-5-sports-men-s-automatic-watch-snzg05j1-snzg05.htm
$150

There's a guy that reviews watches that has bought there before. Feel free to do some research though.

Masse1369

Reaction score
thanks everyone. i really like the look of this seiko, but can't figure out what model it is. any tips?
i'm assuming that, given my luck, this will be some hard to find japan-only model, or some sort of hard to find vintage piece. so, if that's the case, any suggestions for similar watches would be greatly appreciated!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-5-SPO...AU_Watches&hash=item4ab24b4d5a#ht_2163wt_1395

About $140US. Good deal for a great looking watch from a reputable eBay dealer...

handsolo

Reaction score
I have no idea what any of that means, but thank you!

It was pretty much all English except for the "redial" part. I'll break that down for you. The dial is the watch's face. After years and years, old watch's faces start to look like **** unless they are very well cared for. The oils that lube the movement, moisture that invades the case, sunlight, heat, oxidation --all of that **** causes an old watches face to slowly start to look all fucked up. So there are some guys out there in the Philippines or somewhere like upstate New York who pull the faces out from under the hands and work them over. Many times they dip and clean the old dial, repaint the original ****, and reapply any bumpy markers or logos that may be featured there. Or they simply replace the whole thing with some piece they have.

I believe the watch in the ebay auct you link to is a redial because it is apparently missing some small details I would expect to see on a Seamaster of that vintage. Alsoo look at teh level of wear on the hands. See how they look appropriately tarnished and ****? The dial shouldn't look as crisp as it does compared to those hands.

I get kinda sad when I see old watches stripped of their character. I don't like it when sellers put on inappropriate replacement parts. I especially don';t like it when they aren't Totally Clear about this.

Buying vintage **** is a good way to kinda get fucked because unless you totally know your **** you're buying with imperfect information. You're probably gonna pay too much. All y'all beware and ****.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks dudes! i will be ordering one as soon as the wife emotionally recovers from my recent alden-buying spree. :embar:

Last edited:

gabedamien

Reaction score
Does anyone know of anything similar to a Parnis in affordability, mechanical movement, and classy appearance, but 40mm or less?

I have 6” wrists and am very skinny besides (so no balancing proportions) - my 34mm Skagen looks proportionate to my arm, a 43mm Parnis would look absolutely bonkers huge! Clown watch.

Ideally we’re talking leather band (brown preferred), silver-colored case, white dial, a complication or two.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new Sea-Gull M186S w/ Sirtoli short-grain alligator band :D :D :D

All for under $300 :slayer:

jScql.jpg

Last edited:

HLow

Reaction score
This is all very insightful as i am looking to buy myself some vintage watches (seiko, longines etc) and i would love to find out what i should be looking out for when choosing one on eBay.

It was pretty much all English except for the "redial" part. I'll break that down for you. The dial is the watch's face. After years and years, old watch's faces start to look like **** unless they are very well cared for. The oils that lube the movement, moisture that invades the case, sunlight, heat, oxidation --all of that **** causes an old watches face to slowly start to look all fucked up. So there are some guys out there in the Philippines or somewhere like upstate New York who pull the faces out from under the hands and work them over. Many times they dip and clean the old dial, repaint the original ****, and reapply any bumpy markers or logos that may be featured there. Or they simply replace the whole thing with some piece they have.

I believe the watch in the ebay auct you link to is a redial because it is apparently missing some small details I would expect to see on a Seamaster of that vintage. Alsoo look at teh level of wear on the hands. See how they look appropriately tarnished and ****? The dial shouldn't look as crisp as it does compared to those hands.

I get kinda sad when I see old watches stripped of their character. I don't like it when sellers put on inappropriate replacement parts. I especially don';t like it when they aren't Totally Clear about this.

Buying vintage **** is a good way to kinda get fucked because unless you totally know your **** you're buying with imperfect information. You're probably gonna pay too much. All y'all beware and ****.

jpwatts

Reaction score
I've never bought a watch for more than 30 bucks. I understand why they are called "disposable," but they usually last me at least a couple years, and frankly I just love the way these simpler watches look, especially with a different watch strap. Maybe my taste will change in the future.

tumblr_l94ni7Yc2C1qz702do1_400.jpg

tumblr_letty9JzBh1qz702do1_400.jpg

tumblr_lad5g0N6Tv1qaoecbo1_400.png

(These aren't my pics)

I see that at least two are Timex. But what brand are the other two?
Thanks.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gabedamien

Reaction score
I don’t know if that 186S was a direct reply to my question, but it might as well have been; that Sea-Gull looks just about perfect for the money. Thanks!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads