Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. okay.w0w

okay.w0w Senior member

What's the deal with getat watches? I placed an order last week and emailed him twice but still haven't gotten a paypal invoice nor a response.

2. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Anybody want this Grenen for cheap? It just doesn't get any wear so I'd rather someone else put it to good use. Just put in a brand new battery, but the metal band is a bit loose so you'll probably want to throw a 22mm nato or leather band on it.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Nevermind, that was fast, haha.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

after some more sleuthing, it looks like it's a Seiko SNZG05J1. seems like a japan-only model, like you said. :brick: why does that kinda stuff always happen to me? i'll keep looking, hopefully i'll find something available domestically that tickles my fancy. thanks again to everyone for all the help!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  4. NiceGuyTom

NiceGuyTom Well-Known Member

Here ya go:
    http://www.skywatches.com.sg/reviews/japan-seiko-5-sports-men-s-automatic-watch-snzg05j1-snzg05.htm
    $150

There's a guy that reviews watches that has bought there before. Feel free to do some research though.

5. Masse1369

Masse1369 Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-5-SPO...AU_Watches&hash=item4ab24b4d5a#ht_2163wt_1395

About $140US. Good deal for a great looking watch from a reputable eBay dealer...

6. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Crappy cell phone pic of my Skagen with NATO band:

[​IMG]

7. handsolo

handsolo Active Member

It was pretty much all English except for the "redial" part. I'll break that down for you. The dial is the watch's face. After years and years, old watch's faces start to look like shit unless they are very well cared for. The oils that lube the movement, moisture that invades the case, sunlight, heat, oxidation --all of that shit causes an old watches face to slowly start to look all fucked up. So there are some guys out there in the Philippines or somewhere like upstate New York who pull the faces out from under the hands and work them over. Many times they dip and clean the old dial, repaint the original shit, and reapply any bumpy markers or logos that may be featured there. Or they simply replace the whole thing with some piece they have.

I believe the watch in the ebay auct you link to is a redial because it is apparently missing some small details I would expect to see on a Seamaster of that vintage. Alsoo look at teh level of wear on the hands. See how they look appropriately tarnished and shit? The dial shouldn't look as crisp as it does compared to those hands.

I get kinda sad when I see old watches stripped of their character. I don't like it when sellers put on inappropriate replacement parts. I especially don';t like it when they aren't Totally Clear about this.

Buying vintage shit is a good way to kinda get fucked because unless you totally know your shit you're buying with imperfect information. You're probably gonna pay too much. All y'all beware and shit.

8. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

thanks dudes! i will be ordering one as soon as the wife emotionally recovers from my recent alden-buying spree. :embar:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  9. gabedamien

gabedamien Member

Does anyone know of anything similar to a Parnis in affordability, mechanical movement, and classy appearance, but 40mm or less?

I have 6” wrists and am very skinny besides (so no balancing proportions) - my 34mm Skagen looks proportionate to my arm, a 43mm Parnis would look absolutely bonkers huge! Clown watch.

Ideally we’re talking leather band (brown preferred), silver-colored case, white dial, a complication or two.

[​IMG]

10. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

My new Sea-Gull M186S w/ Sirtoli short-grain alligator band :D :D :D

All for under $300 :slayer:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  11. P11x

P11x Member

[​IMG]

G
    reat watch for the value.

12. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

^ That is a really nice watch. Well done.

13. HLow

HLow Senior member

This is all very insightful as i am looking to buy myself some vintage watches (seiko, longines etc) and i would love to find out what i should be looking out for when choosing one on eBay.

14. jpwatts

jpwatts Member

I see that at least two are Timex. But what brand are the other two?
    Thanks.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Any suggestions for a cheap Flieger B-type?