1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Well done.

2. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Thanks Rooster --I got this one the other day. It's a winder with 1 jewel ! $8 also Anyone heard of this brand -Evans ?

[​IMG]

3. Cant kill da Rooster

There are a couple in one my books. Probably 1940ish. Probably worth $100 or so in Mint.

No idea who made them.

4. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Really ?? 1940ish? Sweeet [​IMG]

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

[​IMG]

Picking up a Vanda order (I miss having a doorman) with SKX007 - the platonic form of a beater watch.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  6. Madelocal

Madelocal Well-Known Member

Looking at selling my (basically brand new) Tsovet LX73 with Black case/dial, brown strap.

Also considering selling my MINT, recently serviced Omega Speedmaster Automatic.

PM me if you're interested in either.

7. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

8. Naked Economist

Naked Economist Member

9. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

X-post from Watch P0rn thread...

Smalltimer watch for a casual Tuesday of client meetings and general tedium.

[​IMG]

10. bydandie

bydandie Active Member

Hmm, so you feel that Swiss Made is better than the watches that are made in Germany (especially given that the requirements for 'Swiss Made' are quite low indeed)? Also, given that you can change a bridge and qualify as 'in-house' then that really means nothing either. Also, few watch companies have the true claim to their history (did you know that Breitling in it's current form is only about 30 years old, and that Sinn and Ollech and Wajs make Breitling Navitimers without the label legally?). The best watch is one that makes you smile and fits in with your lifestyle, I seriously doubt that a Speedie Pro that has a WR of 30m is a good entry-level watch! YMMV

11. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an affordable alternative ($300 max) to the Mougin and Picard cream watch sold by J Crew (http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/ingoodcompany/MouginPiquard/PRDOVR~73045/73045.jsp) or the old Christopher Ward C5 Aviator (http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z217/johnhastings/DSC_1613watch.jpg).

So far I've dug up the Seiko 5, which is a bit too "beige" for my tastes, and a TAO International (http://store.taowatch.us/TAO-053YD.aspx).

Any others that you can think of? I particularly like the double dial, triangle at the 12 o'clock mark, and cream face...

12. Cant kill da Rooster

Check Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Aeromatic-1912-Aviator-Watch-Instrument/dp/B004W4VF22/ref=pd_sbs_watch_21

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H64611555-Khaki-Pilot-Silver/dp/B0038YY96Q/ref=pd_sbs_watch_26

http://www.amazon.com/Aristo-3H80-Quartz-Pilots-Sandblasted/dp/B002U0JL58/ref=pd_sbs_watch_4

http://www.amazon.com/Messerschmitt...r_1_6?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1337745218&sr=1-6

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  13. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

14. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Got my Orient Planet Orient off WUS. Couldn't be stoked-er ! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. bydandie

bydandie Active Member

I'd also look at the Speedbird Ivory dial, by Timefactors.

16. 68stang

68stang Well-Known Member

I am recently married and my wife gave this to me as a gift on our wedding day. It is very cool vintage Vulcain 17 jewel automatic. I am thinking 1950's... I wear it almost every day to work now and love everything about it...the slightly scrtched crystal, the croc embossed Girard-Perregaux band, the gold tone face, and the retro style date window. Anyways, I thougt I would share since you can pick these up for well under $500.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  17. 68stang

I also recently wanted a dive style watch. I am of course a fan of the sub but also really like the Omega Seamaster PO. I thought this citizen fit my need on a budget. It is 300m with ceramic bezel and although not an auto it does have a leg up on a regular quartz since it is eco drive. I really like it so far. List price was $460 and I paid in the mid $200 range. I still want an Orent Ray or Mako in blue. I may treat myself some day to an Omega (speedmaster or seamaster) but for now these should hold me over.

[​IMG]

18. Cant kill da Rooster

You can probably buff out that scratch in the crystal quite easily. I mean, unless you love it.

19. 68stang

True. I might try to buff it out. On the other hand I know it sounds strange but I always thought a few slight scratches on a vintage watch or even a moon watch gave them some character. I fell in love with the look of a vintage watch when the owner of a clothing boutique I worked in had a mid 40's Rolex bubble back. It was very small compared to new styles but elegant and unique.

20. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

how much should I be looking to pay for a Seiko sk007?

and what are your thoughts on these retro casio's? I really like em', but silver or gold? does anyone find it tacky to wear a gold plated watch? I feel like people will think I'm trying to hard to be ballin'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]