• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear ya’. I’m just trying to stir up trouble.

I actually like the Milgaus a lot as well. I’ve been thinking hard about getting a Rolex (2nd hand) a lot over the past 8 months or so and it always comes down to an Explorer I, white dial Explorer II, or a Milgaus. And like you, I like the green one.

Then they had to go and release the new OP last year and those caught my attention, especially the yellow one.

Maybe I should just sell off my entire watch collection and get one of each of those… ?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I might as well vent on a personal gripe of mine - either have numbers or sticks or whatever but keep it constant around the dial - having only a 12 (or a 6 and 12) throws the visual balance off to me and in any case is completely unnecessary on a sport or dive watch.
I agree. The Explorer is the only exception for me.

Not a fan?

50970557108_c91f62e04d_b.jpg

I'm not a fan of just the 12 or the 6 and 12, but I do really like the 3-6-9 combo like on an Explorer, and too a lesser degree the 3-6-9-12 combo and occasionally the 6-9-12 if they felt the need to replace the 3 with a date window.

I agree though that having just 12 or 6-12 on the dial seems to throw the balance of aesthetically.

It's sort of like when Grand Seiko removed the "Seiko" branding on their watches. It through off the balance of what I was used to seeing and took a bit to get used to.
There ya go.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am buying a watch for someone as a gift. I know they like this type of watch. Any recommendations that are similar?

rw_freelancer_2780-st-50001_rvb_72dpi.png

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I vote for bachelorette number three!
And I might as well vent on a personal gripe of mine - either have numbers or sticks or whatever but keep it constant around the dial - having only a 12 (or a 6 and 12) throws the visual balance off to me and in any case is completely unnecessary on a sport or dive watch. Tag has a whole series of watches with a massive number 12 only and they never work for me.

I found myself nodding along with your gripe. I’ve never really considered it before, but looking at my collection I can see that all but one of my watches are perfectly consistent with either all numbers or all markers. It just looks cleaner that way.

Oddly, though, the one exception to the rule happens to be the watch I return to most often, my Alpina Startimer Pilot. At least there’s some kind of symmetry going on here, but now you’ve pointed it out the face looks kinda messy to me.

Oh well, I still love it :)

86C9ED6D-7A46-4F99-B575-065DC58FA7CC.jpeg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one from my collection that would probably make a bunch of you cringe: All round markers except for the... 7. To throw it off even more, the 7 is in a nice bright red.

FWIW, this watch was put out by Divex to commemorate the launching of the Subseas 7 Kestrel, a commercial supply and offshore diving ship working in the North Sea.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think this Milgauss looks legit

rocketbyz_500.png

this one is not too bad either but a bit on the conservative side

blue-indigo_500.png

this is blaken does interesting rolex customizations ) and some vintage reincarnations too

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am buying a watch for someone as a gift. I know they like this type of watch. Any recommendations that are similar?

View attachment 1562776
this is called open bridge watch movement, many manufacturers make them
it's designed to look a little bit like a tourbillon
often movements are Chinese or China sourced
China's Seagull, world's largest mech movement manufacturer, has many in the lineup, the one below with a flying wheel for good measure

product-image-1133405121_1024x1024@2x.jpg

but if the aperture is over the balance wheel, it is an open heart

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been drooling over those Lorier Neptune pics pages back in this thread.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been drooling over those Lorier Neptune pics pages back in this thread.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it at all. Great watch with a fun vintage vibe. Here are a few pro's and con's:

- Good company that responds to customer issues.
- People complain about the acrylic crystal, but it's been a non-issue for me. I actually kind of like it for this watch and figure I can always polish it if I scratch it.
- Great quality for $500.
- Looks great on a NATO strap or other variation. I don't like it on a leather or tropic strap because of the long lugs and the gap between the strap and the case.
- I don't wear it on the bracelet, but the bracelet is actually pretty nice.
- If I'm being totally honest, I like my new Halios Fairwind better, but they're both great watches.

And a picture or two just for fun.

Neptune 1.jpg

Neptune 2.jpg

Neptune 6.jpg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it at all. Great watch with a fun vintage vibe. Here are a few pro's and con's:

- Good company that responds to customer issues.
- People complain about the acrylic crystal, but it's been a non-issue for me. I actually kind of like it for this watch and figure I can always polish it if I scratch it.
- Great quality for $500.
- Looks great on a NATO strap or other variation. I don't like it on a leather or tropic strap because of the long lugs and the gap between the strap and the case.
- I don't wear it on the bracelet, but the bracelet is actually pretty nice.
- If I'm being totally honest, I like my new Halios Fairwind better, but they're both great watches.

And a picture or two just for fun.

View attachment 1563391
View attachment 1563393
View attachment 1563392

Yeah I'd be tempted if not for that 48mm lug to lug. Yet another cool diver I can't wear.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd be tempted if not for that 48mm lug to lug. Yet another cool diver I can't wear.

If you can wear a 39 mm dive watch (which is what this is), then you can wear this. The lug to lug on the Lorier is different than what you are used to on a Seiko because they are long, thin and more about framing/centering the case on your wrist. Visually this wears much smaller than my Seiko 62 MAS reissue where most of that lug to lug is case. For me, it wears similar to Nomos in this way.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're tempting me to spend money...lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads