• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20200129_092735.jpg

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Jazzmenco - Did that Glycine come on the mesh? I used to think mesh was so hideous then I got one a few years ago and loved the look and the feel.

khughes44

Reaction score
May I trouble you gentlemen for some advice please? I have a couple of “poor man’s” watches, both gifts, that I truly enjoy; a quartz Freddy Constant, and a mechanical Tissot. Both, perhaps due to the leather bands, have a tendency to rotate counter-clockwise on my wrist. Is this something that can be remedied with a custom strap, and if so whom do you recommend.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I trouble you gentlemen for some advice please? I have a couple of “poor man’s” watches, both gifts, that I truly enjoy; a quartz Freddy Constant, and a mechanical Tissot. Both, perhaps due to the leather bands, have a tendency to rotate counter-clockwise on my wrist. Is this something that can be remedied with a custom strap, and if so whom do you recommend.
These watches "rotate counter-clockwise on my wrist" how exactly?

A) The entire watch, including the strap? Try tightening the strap one more hole before you go custom. Or, try a Perlon strap (no holes, push the tang in wherever you want, the nylon weave is self-healing. Perlon are great straps, esp for warm weather.). Eulit is the best perlon brand, worth the extra few dollars.

B) Just the watch head is rotating? In that case, make sure the strap width at the lugs is correct to the watch lug width (i.e. that you don't have an 18mm strap in a 20mm lug).

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes that and the green bezel were the reasons I bought it. I had to you tube how to adjust it, super easy, another plus.....
That green is great, and Glycines are very nice.

I never could get used to mesh bands shredding my wrist/wrist hair, finally just gave up on them. Plus on many watches I was never fond of the smaller scale (relative to a standard linked band or fabric/leather strap) of mesh/milanaise, other than on very minimal, fine-scaled cases and dials. Just my experience/opinion.

khughes44

Reaction score
These watches "rotate counter-clockwise on my wrist" how exactly?

A) The entire watch, including the strap? Try tightening the strap one more hole before you go custom. Or, try a Perlon strap (no holes, push the tang in wherever you want, the nylon weave is self-healing. Perlon are great straps, esp for warm weather.). Eulit is the best perlon brand, worth the extra few dollars.

B) Just the watch head is rotating? In that case, make sure the strap width at the lugs is correct to the watch lug width (i.e. that you don't have an 18mm strap in a 20mm lug).
The entire watch rotates. I think the ideal fit would be between holes on both straps. I’ll try a strap like you suggest. Thank you.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The entire watch rotates. I think the ideal fit would be between holes on both straps. I’ll try a strap like you suggest. Thank you.
Yes, but Perlon is not for everybody. Some just don't like them. I live in Los Angeles, tend to be hot, don't really like NATO straps, and so use Perlon straps a lot, ~9 months/year.

To save you time, Holben's is a great USA source (stock and good pricing) for Eulit Perlon and many other straps. For ethical reasons they do not sell exotic genuine skins such as alligator, crocodile, lizard, etc, but the rest of the selection is excellent. They sell on eBay too, but normally I just order from the webstore.

Holben's Fine Watch Bands

If you do buy a perlon strap, I do not reallty recommend any brand other than Eulit (and certainly not cheapo eBay perlons). On those other brands, in my experience the fabric is of MUCH lower quality; does not self-seal nearly as well being a looser weave; wears out much faster; and the hardware is pretty flimsy too. Just get Eulit, even though the Eulit color selection is unfortunately pretty limited.

Another strap type to look at, with stellar reputation for adjustability and quality, are Erika's MN (Marine Nationale) straps. Also nylon-based, like NATO and Perlon, but using slightly elastic parachute-strap fabric

Holben's also sell ColaReb, which are very nice (leather), highly regarded for price/value/style.

Finally, since the straps you have on now are used anyway, perhaps try to punch a tidy, small hole between two existing holes to achieve a tighter fit. If nothing else, that "strap tip to hole perfect fit measurement" will be very useful if you ever do order a custom strap.

Good luck. The sensation of a "floppy watch" is really unpleasant.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeping on theme with the "Poor Man's" aspect of this thread... I didn't want to keep going back to a Watch shop and pay (the pretty reasonable) $10 for adjustments. I decided to purchase an inexpensive little kit on Amazon and it's worked out well so far:

1-7.JPG

The kit included the little hammer, plastic band holder and the 3 metal punches for $6.49. I was able to get a perfect fit on both of my SKX's by removing 3 links each. 2 from the 6 o' clock side and 1 from the 12 o' clock side.

I'm glad to save money, but also increase my watch tool arsenal and be able to do things myself. I enjoy working on small metal gadgets so it's pretty fun.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeping on theme with the "Poor Man's" aspect of this thread... I didn't want to keep going back to a Watch shop and pay (the pretty reasonable) $10 for adjustments. I decided to purchase an inexpensive little kit on Amazon and it's worked out well so far:

View attachment 1326795

The kit included the little hammer, plastic band holder and the 3 metal punches for $6.49. I was able to get a perfect fit on both of my SKX's by removing 3 links each. 2 from the 6 o' clock side and 1 from the 12 o' clock side.

I'm glad to save money, but also increase my watch tool arsenal and be able to do things myself. I enjoy working on small metal gadgets so it's pretty fun.
I did the same last year and added some other tools along with a case back opener. If you own more than a couple of watches I think it's a good idea and pretty cheap as well.

khughes44

Reaction score
Yes, but Perlon is not for everybody. Some just don't like them. I live in Los Angeles, tend to be hot, don't really like NATO straps, and so use Perlon straps a lot, ~9 months/year.

To save you time, Holben's is a great USA source (stock and good pricing) for Eulit Perlon and many other straps. For ethical reasons they do not sell exotic genuine skins such as alligator, crocodile, lizard, etc, but the rest of the selection is excellent. They sell on eBay too, but normally I just order from the webstore.

Holben's Fine Watch Bands

If you do buy a perlon strap, I do not reallty recommend any brand other than Eulit (and certainly not cheapo eBay perlons). On those other brands, in my experience the fabric is of MUCH lower quality; does not self-seal nearly as well being a looser weave; wears out much faster; and the hardware is pretty flimsy too. Just get Eulit, even though the Eulit color selection is unfortunately pretty limited.

Another strap type to look at, with stellar reputation for adjustability and quality, are Erika's MN (Marine Nationale) straps. Also nylon-based, like NATO and Perlon, but using slightly elastic parachute-strap fabric

Holben's also sell ColaReb, which are very nice (leather), highly regarded for price/value/style.

Finally, since the straps you have on now are used anyway, perhaps try to punch a tidy, small hole between two existing holes to achieve a tighter fit. If nothing else, that "strap tip to hole perfect fit measurement" will be very useful if you ever do order a custom strap.

Good luck. The sensation of a "floppy watch" is really unpleasant.
What a fabulous response. Thank you for taking the time.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1326795

I have a similar kit and use it all the time. Mine also has a watch link removal tool which is especially helpful for the Seiko watches with the pin and collar style pins.

Every once in a while I get a watch that has a bracelet that is beyond my capabilities so I inevitably take it to a local jeweler where is usually takes them a grand total of 4 minutes and I hate having to shell out the few bucks for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads