1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Distinguished Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 8:20 AM

2. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

3. Jazzmenco

Between the eBay and paypal fees the seller would pay approx $320. Deduct that and the price is more in line but still high. He does take offers.....

4. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

St. Patrick’s Day is almost here, so that means it’s definitely time for an orange watch.

AE6FF37E-A689-485C-97F2-ADA085F845B1.jpeg
    D176C600-2462-4F41-9ADE-9565EE5F05C8.jpeg
    15B27C46-7750-477F-81FC-323B701234A1.jpeg

5. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Distinguished Member

6. Jazzmenco

I just noticed that the dial colors match the dots on the cup, purely accidental but when you have the "gift":cool2:

7. Jazzmenco

8. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

9. Jazzmenco

I've got both colors covered in the spirit of harmony.:-D

20190317_164644.jpg

10. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Has anyone ever heard of a kind of modular watch? Make it an easily accessible case, and you can swap faces, hands, bezels, and straps fairy easily. Will probably need to be quartz for ease, but could be kinda fun.

11. Don Murray

Don Murray Member

Yes! I remember seeing something like that by Fortis. Let's see... ah here.
    https://wornandwound.com/fortis-flips-fun-fortis-colors/
    Looks like they may be discontinued, actually

12. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

There are a few upstarts offering this. But I forgot their names and they're probably gone now. Eh no there is one ad in IG I forgot the name that's still around.

13. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

I had a ‘Flipper’ watch (made by Fortis) just like those. You popped out the watch from the combined strap/frame/bezel and popped it into another of a different colour. I had several colours. I loved wearing them back when I was in school. The straps and bezels were plastic and not very durable.

More recently I saw a whole kit on eBay in an attache case with straps in many colours. I was tempted to get it but since my taste in watches has stepped up a notch or two since those days I realised that after the ‘trip down memory lane’ novelty wore off the whole kit would probably sit in the cupboard gathering dust.

Around that time you could get something similar but probably higher quality in women’s watches which came with a selection of different coloured enamel bezels.

14. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior Member

I've had an itch lately for a pilot watch. I'm curious what brands people would recommend I look at.

15. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

I just purchased a vintage tropic rubber strap with the plan of putting it on a an old Heuer Super Pro I’ve got that I need one more link for it to fit really comfortably. Unfortunately, I mis-remembered the lug width on that one and the strap was too small (it’s 18mm, I needed 20mm).

No worries, I’m sure I could find something appropriate in the collection to put it on.

Enter the Heuer Night Diver! I’ve got the original jubilee-style bracelet with the signed clasp for this one and it’s very comfortable but I don’t wear this often because it really needs a new crystal or at least a very good polishing or cleaning as it’s sort of clouded up over the years. The rubber strap looks great on it and it’s very comfy, maybe this will be the catalyst I need to get me to take this one to the watchmaker.

EA1AB59B-805C-460E-823B-71793967281D.jpeg

A85B58D9-E370-4572-8689-33BFE532865B.jpeg

A4D72ECA-AB44-4832-9801-95834CFA59AA.jpeg