1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

2. venessian

venessian Distinguished Member

With a dial that complicated (not a criticism, just a fact) I think leaving the watch on the bracelet is really the most elegant solution.

If you can't stand a bracelet, then a black rubber diver's strap.

If you can't stand rubber, then the most simple, flat-grain, thick, black leather strap.

Alligator or crocodile would be the least appropriate strap for that particular watch, in my opinion.
    Apples and moon rocks.

Regardless, congratulations on the new job (and nice watch)!

3. Irish95

Irish95 Member

I’m surprised you guys feel that way. I think the Seiko looks great. I think it looks fantastic on the strap worn by Roger. I have a Breitling Headwind that I wear on a black padded strap and I think it’s a great look. I think the bracelets are great, but the strap on that style of watch is a good look. Changes it up a bit in a good way.

4. venessian

^
    À chacun son
    bracelet, strap, other watch-securing device, etc....

5. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Distinguished Member

Not only did I let them near my tea cup I let them take a dip................:rimshot:

20190314_174415.jpg

20190314_174215.jpg

20190314_152003.jpg

20190314_150820.jpg

20190314_152425.jpg

6. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

Mostly agreed but I'd use a simple plain cognac shell cordovan to reduce the case and counter the complications on the dial. Black straps would make the piece even larger.

7. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Distinguished Member

I think the bracelet would look better but a black gator would look cool too.

[​IMG]

8. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Why thank you - I think so too!

I also think a strap better shows off the unique shape of the case as compared with the bracelet.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:04 AM

9. venessian

Ha ha ha ha!

That first photo is avatar-worthy.

10. RogerP

This impulse buy will surely fall under the heading of not everyone's cuppa - but I had it on my "wish list" at Jomashop for a while, and when I got an offer that tipped me over the edge, well, I fell off the fence.

A couple things appeal.

1) I'm really sick of round cases and have been eyeing everything non-round for a while - tonneau, square, tank, you name it. Genta is the king of non-round design, IMO, and this one has a real Genta vibe. Poor man's AP?

2) I've always - ALWAYS loved the juxtaposition of rose gold against a black dial. Speaking of AP, one of my dream watches has always been the tankish Edward Piguet chronograph in rose gold with a black dial. The bezel and crown on this piece are both 18k rose gold.

3) Excellent case finishing. I found a couple hi-def youtube videos that managed to capture what an excellent job AN did with this model - something that most of the pics I have seen did not capture - and the real thing did not disappoint.

4) Doesn't look like anything else in my watch box.

The dimensions of this thing almost don't make sense. Try 41mm "diameter" (it's not round after all) with - wait for it - 24mm lug width. Like, I've never seen that. But it somehow works. Thank heavens they radically tapered the bracelet (down to what looks like 18-20mm at the clasp) else it would probably wear like a set of hand cuffs. I'll be getting the bracelet sized later this morning, but even with it flopping around with probably two extra links of gap, it's not uncomfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things I would change? A rose gold sweep second hand - and that's about it.

If I am ever able to find this blue version, I may end up with 2 of the same watch -which almost never happens.

[​IMG]

11. ErikW

ErikW Senior Member

Where did you get your strap? I love the blue dial -- those are insanely rare.

12. Irish95

Irish95 Member

8473798C-ECCB-4603-9D6D-C45FAA619F6F.jpeg I never wear this with a suit, but it is March 16th so an exception can be made today. The irony as I wait for my case to be called is that my client is from Dublin. If he brings money, it will be a perfect day of “green”.

13. RogerP

Cheers - yeah the blue is crazy hard to find among a group of watches that is insanely hard to find. Where did you stumble across yours?

I got the strap from this guy - quality work - they look better irl than in his pics.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=7593719&rid=0#msg_7593719

14. RogerP

Lol perfect occasion! I wear my Green Marine with a suit on rare occasion. Just because.

15. ptfly

ptfly Member

Thank god for casual friday at the office.

IMG_7796.jpg