1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. jaypee

jaypee Distinguished Member

Can anyone help identify this piece?

Looks similar to the RAF issues, but i've never seen the RAF with the 5 minute markers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Distinguished Member

3. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

People can take a cue from Jazz. Having a large collection of cheap but various colors watches can help with your style far more than a single boring Rolex with white or black dial on bracelet.

4. BeatriceEvhe

BeatriceEvhe New Member

Some of the watches in here are very nice.

I am looking for a dress watch gift for my boyfriend. He wants one for daily wear. Are there any recommendations with the following specs?

Movement: Swiss automatic
    Price: Below USD 500
    Water resistance: 5 to 10 ATM
    Strap: Like leather but environmentally friendly (in black)
    Case thickness: Below 8mm
    Strap width: about 21mm
    Case diameter: about 40mm
    Functions: Just time, and date

Brand does not matter. He tends to like the really slim case ones. Any suggestions for the above specs?

5. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

Automatic and case thickness of 8mm at $500 is tough. Christopher Ward ultra slim line is everything he needs but handwound. Or you can get everything but quartz.

6. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    I agree in principal with your statement. But I take exception to perpetuating ugliness. It is one thing to buy 'artisan' watches with silk dials etc. I might not like their aesthetics, but I appreciate the effort and craftsmanship. Whoever buys all those artisan watches sponsors craftsmen and designers with unique vision. However when it comes to brand new generic watches I take an exception to that. There are a lot of people on SF who go to online stores and buy ugly reproduction furniture, ugly homage watches, etc, etc. I always say; if you want to buy something ugly at least buy used. There is enough uglyness in the world we don't need to encourage greedy marketers to produce more by investing into their generic shitty products (and that includes Rolex, Omega, AP, Knoll, Jasper Morrison types, etc.)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

7. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Distinguished Member

I'm pretty sure it will not be possible to find a watch that checks all of these boxes, so you're going to have to compromise somewhere. If you want a Swiss automatic you are going to be extremely limited in your options and as Riva pointed out, getting an 8mm automatic for $500 is going to be very tough if not impossible.

At 9.75mm thick, Tissot Powermatic 80 is close and is sub-$500 from grey market dealers:
    https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-watch-t0864071605100.html

The ETA 2892-A2 is a solid Swiss automatic movement that isn't terribly expensive and is very thin at 3.6mm. You could also look at a watch that uses it, or a modified version of it:
    https://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/2892-a2

The Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim uses it, meets most of your requirements, and can be found for under $600 from some reputable grey market dealers too:
    https://shop.hamiltonwatch.com/all-...n-classic-jazzmaster-slim-auto-h38615735.html
    43mm for a dress watch is awfully big, but it is only 8.35mm thick.

9. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    That 8,3mm Hamilton is pretty nice watch. Definitely should have been made in 38mm size.

10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Distinguished Member

Completely agree. Sort of puzzling why they made it so big.

11. venessian

venessian Distinguished Member

I would start with Junghans, their "Max Bill", and see if that fits the bill.

It's a beautiful, classic, elegant, solid watch, and it comes in several iterations.

8mm-10mm thick depending on movement; 38mm-40mm diameter depending; right around USD 500 (for the quartz which is a fine movement), or around USD 700 (for hand-wound or automatic); beautiful design; impeccable reputation.

https://www.junghans.de/en/junghans-collection/watches/maxbill/detail.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

If you're still looking for the green Sumo, I got an email from Gnomon that they now have it in stock. The price is a bit more than ShoppingInJapan but Gnomon includes free DHL shipping to the US and also gives an extra year in addition to whatever the manufacturer's warranty period is. I've bought from Gnomon a few times and have always been happy with the results.

13. Irish95

Irish95 Member

Thanks for the info, but I actually found one listed on watchrecon Sunday night. US seller, who goes by uvalaw2005. Great guy to deal with and the watch is on the way as I type. He has a few others listed and they are all BNIB. I highly recommend him. Thanks again for the heads-up.

14. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Distinguished Member

This popped up on my facebook watch site (yes...dangerous) I know there are vintage Seiko fans out there, he's asking $475.

vintage seiko2.JPG

vintage seiko.JPG

15. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Price is in the ballpark, assuming it is mechanically sound. The crowns on these 6139s can be fiddly with the double-detent push set for the day and date. A new crystal would probably make it look even better.