• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey let's stay on topic of watches. I know you feel like you know me, but you don't. So before you jump to more conclusions about me via my watch opinions look in the mirror and ask yourself : What sort of triggered manchild is looking back?

How telling that you immediately knew that the subject of my post was indeed yourownself....

Lad, I just also read, unfortunately, your "contributions" (speaking of the behavior of children, wow: naming him "LeCairbuisier" = really super-duper clever!!) to the "Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata" thread. So....

I feel "like I know you"? You presumptuous, pompous a..: No, I do not know you, nor do I have any desire to know you.

However, I do know architecture, design, art, photography, and to a much lesser degree, watches. Some other stuff, but not that much, sadly.

Therefore I stand by my opinion, which has not been formed by reading only a few of your posts, in one instance, but has instead been very carefully formed over a long time and the deleterious, mind-numbing effects of trying to figure out if you actually have anything useful and original to state. I haven't found it (anything of substance) yet, even after years, and so now have forever lost all hope. Ergo, my comments; ergo, your prominent place in the pantheon of the "ignored".

I certainly have no belief that you will actually ever care to contribute to this forum, let alone this specific thread, in a genuine, positive, respectful manner. That is sad in a way, because you are certainly not stupid or incapable, in my opinion (not really knowing you and all...), but rather just obstinate and unwilling.

I.E.: What, is "triggered" the latest clichè idiotic pseudo-intellectual smug buzz-word that you have managed to co-opt, like "woke", etc.? Congratulations on the recent additions to your [ ] lexicon, then! Cute, in a sort of late-hipsterly au courant way, maybe...but in any case not so interesting at all, nor at all germane.

Last post on this subject, fellow PMW subscribers, I promise. There are clearly far more interesting things to discuss....

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How telling that you immediately knew that the subject of my post was indeed yourownself....

Lad, I just also read, unfortunately, your "contributions" (speaking of the behavior of children, wow: naming him "LeCairbuisier" = really super-duper clever!!) to the "Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata" thread. So....

I feel "like I know you"? You presumptuous, pompous a..: No, I do not know you, nor do I have any desire to know you.

However, I do know architecture, design, art, photography, and to a much lesser degree, watches. Some other stuff, but not that much, sadly.

Therefore I stand by my opinion, which has not been formed by reading only a few of your posts, in one instance, but has instead been very carefully formed over a long time and the deleterious, mind-numbing effects of trying to figure out if you actually have anything useful and original to state. I haven't found it (anything of substance) yet, even after years, and so now have forever lost all hope. Ergo, my comments; ergo, your prominent place in the pantheon of the "ignored".

I certainly have no belief that you will actually ever care to contribute to this forum, let alone this specific thread, in a genuine, positive, respectful manner. That is sad in a way, because you are certainly not stupid or incapable, in my opinion (not really knowing you and all...), but rather just obstinate and unwilling.

I.E.: What, is "triggered" the latest clichè idiotic pseudo-intellectual smug buzz-word that you have managed to co-opt, like "woke", etc.? Congratulations on the recent additions to your [ ] lexicon, then! Cute, in a sort of late-hipsterly au courant way, maybe...but in any case not so interesting at all, nor at all germane.

Last post on this subject, fellow PMW subscribers, I promise. There are clearly far more interesting things to discuss....
That's okay, I really enjoy your writing. Are you an author by any chance? :colgate:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, no. Architect. But, I do love good authors, like Raymond Carver, the Barthelme Bros, etc., who could really cut to the quick of the matter.

If only I could be that concise.... :revolve:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, no. Architect. But, I do love good authors, like Raymond Carver, the Barthelme Bros, etc., who could really cut to the quick of the matter.

If only I could be that concise.... :revolve:
"I apologise for the length of this letter, if I had had the time I'd have made it shorter"

Also applies to architecture...
upload_2019-1-19_10-40-18.png

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I apologise for the length of this letter, if I had had the time I'd have made it shorter"

Also applies to architecture...
Ha ha ha! Touchè.

AKA: "Less (of that guy's posts) is more better."
- paraphrasing the great chap who designed that beautiful house.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha! Touchè.

AKA: "Less (of that guy's posts) is more better."
- paraphrasing the great chap who designed that beautiful house.
To go on a lengthy but relevant tangent:
one way to get a complex meaning across quickly is to rely on shared cultural background and higher level meaning. It took me a long time to understand how to do "good" minimalism. In Mies' case, to take but three variables: the execution is spotless (these straight lines are laser-straight, the gaps between stones as tight as Apple engineering); the materials are sumptuous (the Barcelona Pavilion or that museum in Berlin are better examples IMO); the proportions are carefully chosen to convey meaning (such as the slightly elevated platform of the Farnsworth house).

One minimalist building we have in Singapore that is absolutely incredible is the Gateway. Photos don't convey how otherworldly the design is. Unlike Mies it is rather obvious though - the sharp angle, the choice of reflective glass, everything combines to give the impression of perfect shards or perhaps these angular designs of early video games. Like a tear through reality. It is particularly impressive how straight and well built the thing is; unlike most of the McCondos that litter the country (and the world, TBH) as you get closer it remains a shard of glass, just bigger and obstructing more of the sky with its strange reflection.

Where I'm going with this is that it is possible to express yourself similarly, by leaning on implied meaning. Replying with the right quote, the right hints; folding layers into a couple sentences; and the meaning is sent across. The great thing about culture is that it is completely accessible today. You can go to Wikipedia for the summary, you can find more information via Google or ample free material on the web (including great books), you can buy books for a few bucks to dig deeper... the only investment is time and motivation. And so a pithy quote well placed, references hidden in a partial sentence can send readers into a fun process of discovery and enrich the conversation beyond the obvious layer of the written word. The best part is that you can, if you wish, respond in kind without responding obviously in kind, keeping plausible deniability from getting you moderated or giving an easy opening to the other chap.

I'm sure this could have been summarised in a pithy quote but for once my memory fails me :p

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where I'm going with this is that it is possible to express yourself similarly, by leaning on implied meaning. Replying with the right quote, the right hints; folding layers into a couple sentences; and the meaning is sent across. The great thing about culture is that it is completely accessible today. You can go to Wikipedia for the summary, you can find more information via Google or ample free material on the web (including great books), you can buy books for a few bucks to dig deeper... the only investment is time and motivation. And so a pithy quote well placed, references hidden in a partial sentence can send readers into a fun process of discovery and enrich the conversation beyond the obvious layer of the written word. The best part is that you can, if you wish, respond in kind without responding obviously in kind, keeping plausible deniability from getting you moderated or giving an easy opening to the other chap.

I'm sure this could have been summarised in a pithy quote but for once my memory fails me :p[/spoiler]

As nobody is going to even respond to this I'll have to say it. You guys aren't even motivated enough to read a long spoiler let alone hidden meanings. That's what happens when the only French food you eat is fries with ketchup ;)

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best part is that you can, if you wish, respond in kind without responding obviously in kind, keeping plausible deniability from getting you moderated

I like and second your whole argument, except the bit quoted above.
If someone bored me enough, I want to be clear that I consider him an asshole and that, if I pick some nice words to express the concept, it's just because I'm in love with the sound of my voice and not to allow me any retreat...
Sorry for the digression and back to the thread: while I don't know much about watches, I consider myself an authority about poorness.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just realised that u r the same obtuse poster from both threads who is stalking me. God, I am so tired of being right about this enfantile new breed of people and their predictable, reflexive opinions?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads