1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Lumaca

Lumaca Senior Member

As a Laco owner (bought dirt cheap used, sturdy Japanese movement) I feel like it was a great watch worth every penny.

It's just that eventually you'll outgrow it and start looking for something more... refined. No phantom date setting perhaps, better lume maybe, thinner case definitely!

Speaking of fliegers and pilot watch in general, I find it ironic that IWC are releasing the Spitfire collection which is basically a german pilot's watch with a british fighter plane's name on the dial.

2. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

3. venessian

venessian Distinguished Member

I agree with this, if a Stowa is anywhere near the budget. A nicer watch and better investment than a Speedbird, MKII, or Laco imo. I have a Stowa MO; it is beautiful and worth every penny.

One caveat on the Stowa Pilots, though: the newer ones (I mean since Jorg Schauer re-established the brand, I think) use a font with an open "4", which I personally do not like (just a pet peeve, they are also as historically legitimate as closed "4"s, I think). I have seen some older Stowa Pilot/Fliegers on eBay with a closed "4", but not often.
    [​IMG]

4. venessian

Well stated regarding Laco, etc.

IWC Spitfires are truly hideous imo; and the Mark XV is one of my favorite watch designs of all time. They ruined it, after the XV.

5. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

It's historically correct to put the Spitfire on top of the German machinery.

6. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

@am55 ... Adolf Galland would agree with you.
    Rumors have that, during Battle of England, when an angry Goering asked him "so what you need to overcome the Brits ??" Galland answered "a squadron of Spitfires!"

Anyway I too think that putting a Spitfire on a German watch is kind of an oxymoron ...

7. JustinW

JustinW Distinguished Member

Thanks for the input, guys. As much as I love the German fliegers, I really have my heart set on an allied Cold War style pilot watch, next. Well, that or the Smiths 29b with the bigger case.

Someday that might be an IWC mkXV, but I know my wife is trying to figure out what to give me for our 10th anniversary next month. I'm thinking I'll drop a hint that the new no-logo Speedbird is pretty nice.

8. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Ironic that the vintage Seiko I was about to strap on this morning would have blown a massive hole through the PMW ceiling, but this one does not.

[​IMG]

9. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

I had an MKII Hawkinge since its introduction and while I really liked it at first I ended up selling it a few weeks ago as I decided I didn't like the fit of it. It's a great looking watch but it sat incredibly high on my wrist thanks to it's very flat backside (add a nice NATO under it and it made it even worse). Comparing the measurements between the MKII and the Speedbird, it looks like the Speedbird is only about 1mm thinner but sometimes that small of a difference can be enough.

If the measurements of the MKII work for you, the fit and finish on the Hawkinge was fantastic and I never had any complaints about the Seiko movement in it. They can be had relatively inexpensively on the secondhand market.

10. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    B and M

20190113_213336_HDR_resized.jpg

11. venessian

Since the last couple of pages have touched on IWC Mark XV "homages" and other PMW pilot watches, another brand to consider might be Dekla.

I have no direct experience with this brand, but the movements are good, the designs look good, the prices are good, and they have received positive reviews on WUS.

https://deklawatches.com/en/dekla

https://www.watchuseek.com/flieger-friday-affordable-dekla-pilot-watches/

Also, a TypeB thread I just stumbled across:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/ty...i-get-laco-stowa-dekla-archimede-4822709.html

12. venessian

Is the one you are considering the "Speedbird III automatic on bracelet with Sellita SW200-1 "Top" movement and PRS-1 dial"?

That looks like a whole lot of watch, including a bracelet, for £485.00 (US $625). Solid seller too. If you want it, I would suggest moving on it soon, because TF tends not to have back-stock once they sell out, and re-issues are not guaranteed.

Really, I think you won't go wrong with a no-logo/no-date Speedbird, or the no-date Hawkinge, but the no-logo/no-date Speedbird is indeed very appealing.

It looks like the Smiths 39mm PRS29-B is now sold out?

13. JustinW

JustinW Distinguished Member

Thanks @venessian

Yes, that’s the one I’m looking at. They just restocked them yesterday after being sold-out for some time. The last round, the only option was date with no logo and ETA movement. I’ll drop a heavy hint with my wife tonight!

The Smiths 29B sold out after a few months and won’t be back anytime soon. I’ve only seen one sell used and it wasn’t cheap. It’s a nice looking watch that is a bit dressier than most military watches. The broad arrow means a lot to me, though I haven’t owned a manual winder for so long. As a kid I always overwound and broke my cheap copy watches.

14. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    My feeling about 'Pilot Watches' is that they are the biggest (most profitable) scam in the industry after dive watches. They are basic time only things with bland printed dials that all look the same. I understand why people buy them on a vintage market, but the brand new pilot watch without any historic elements or design cues is just too basic and boring.
    At least Oris and JLC are trying to make something interesting in this vein, but the watches above are just blah.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

15. city74

city74 Senior Member

Today’s watch for a cold day

D5769455-E1CD-4E11-A733-9B33DB05CF99.jpeg