Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

great news - next month's is DapperedOctober

2. lamergod

lamergod Senior member

Indeed. And it seems to be everywhere. I'm in Singapore and he said it'll take 2-3 days. My sister just left for Sweden to study and she took 24 hours to reach Sweden. Do update on the quality of the watch mate.

3. steviecakes

steviecakes Senior member

[​IMG]
    This is a Sector my father gave me years ago. I put it on a grey nato strap and wear it pretty much every day.

[​IMG]
    This is my Seiko SNK809 that I bought from Harold (yobokies) of Watchuseek. Unfortunately, I was riding my BMX bike when a lug came off and the watch dropped from 7 or 8 feet. It stopped working and when I brought it to my watch repair guy he said the cost of fixing it would be more than what I paid for the watch itself. I started kicking myself for not putting a nato strap on it when i first received it like initially planned. The watch wouldn't have fallen off my wrist then even with the loose lug. Such is life, though. If anyone wants it for any reason, just cover shipping and my time and it's yours. I can't look at it anymore without thinking about how it could still be functioning :brick:

4. Ndure

Ndure Senior member

How do you change strap? I got the 241LSLT, and my springbars are stucked.

5. DenimDan

DenimDan Well-Known Member

Love the old manual timex watches. I've got the rare gray dial version:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  6. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

I usually use a small blade, like an exacto knife, to stick between one side of the strap and the metal body. Then I push the springbar in towards the center of the strap and add a bit of force to the bar to pull it out of alignment. That particular Skagen is a pain in the butt to detach the strap initially. Once you get it out the first time and get the hang of it, it only takes a few seconds.

7. Galix

Galix Senior member

Hi gentlemen,

I couldn't resist the temptation to get one of those Daniel Wellington watches posted here some days ago. So I ordered one and I received it this morning. I have had it only for few hours now, so I can't comment with deep knowledge. But so far I'm happy with it as it has very nice pros. It's very lightweight. You barely notice when wearing it. The nato strap seems hard so I guess it will last. The crown is big, not huge but big (40mm, so in the limit for my taste and small wrists). That means it's very easy to read. I'm in general not very fan of golden plated watches nor anything golden for that matter, but the color of the watch is in the pinkish side of gold, so it' s actually very nice. So far the watch seems a very good option for the buck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. plot

plot Senior member

Could you fine gentlemen recommend me a watch similar to the IWC Big Pilot that costs at most $500?

[​IMG]

I'm mainly looking for a black face, steel casing, and a brownish beige strap.
    Although if someone could recommend a black-faced steel casing watch as well as a cheap beige strap sold separately, that would also be great.

9. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

+1

im looking for something similar as well

10. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

11. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Plot, justinkapur: Ask and you shall receive. Let me forward you over to Archimede. Wen the funds come in I will be buying one. Apparently great quality and it's exactly what you're looking for. http://www.archimede-uhren.de/US/Pilot-family.htm

And to the poster who just purchased the Daniel Wellington. Is it quartz? hand-wound? Auto? Mine should be coming any day now. Getting excited. Did yours take more than 3 business days to arrive? Mine is going on 4 business days now.

12. plot

plot Senior member

Earlier I found the Stowa Flieger, a watch very similar to the Big Pilot.

However, to my untrained eye, the whole Archimede Pilot and Deck Watch series' seem very very similar to Stowa's Flieger and Marine series'. The Pilot watches even have the same emblem at the 12oclock position.

(apologies for the large picture)

Stowa:
    [​IMG]

Archimede:
    [​IMG]

I'm not really sure what to make of this

And thanks for the suggestion Hayward, however that asymmetrical crown seems a bit off-putting.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Well, they're all based on the same style of midcentury military pilot wristwatch (of which IWC was one of many progenitors) so they are bound to look similar. That said a lot of watch manufacturers use stock cases in addition to stock movements. During the 70s and early 80's Heuer and Breitling used the exact same case for at least two models of dive watch; CWC uses the same stock case today.

I think Seiko makes a watch in a similar style. Absolutely nothing wrong with Seiko.

14. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

How much did you pay for it?

15. lamergod

lamergod Senior member

Thank you! It looks really good. I'm gonna get mine soon. Was the box well padded when delivered? And could you please take a picture of the watch on your wrist so I can have a good judgement of how big the watch is. I've got pretty skinny wrist.