• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1056663
I’m enjoying my “new” vintage find. My two part question: (i) how far up the “dressy” scale would you place a steel Seamaster, and (ii) would a black alligator strap be appropriate?
(i) As RogerP wrote above, a vintage, white dial, no-date, stainless or gold Seamaster is definitely "dressy" and nothing but.

(ii) I have a very similar 1958 Seamaster (but I also want RogerP's gorgeous blue-hand 30T2 ;)) and I think, especially with the smaller diameter and thinner lugs, that, in terms of a strap:
a) black calf is a bit too flat
b) black alligator is a bit too textured
c) black lizard is just right

signed, not Goldilocks.

Edit: my black lizard strap is a Di-Modell; it has lasted for years, still looks great on both sides, breathes well, and so I highly recommend the brand.

See photos in next post.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Count de Monet:
Here are some images of a black lizard strap on an older Omega Seamaster.

1958 Omega Seamaster; stainless steel; 35mm diameter; 18mm lug width; Di-Modell genuine lizard strap with Omega tang buckle.

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_01_zpscf61tcra.jpg

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_02_zpsdxbmhbty.jpg

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_03_zpsvrhoyebn.jpg

1958%20Omega%20Seamaster_04_zpsiq3hm1ox.jpg

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(i) As RogerP wrote above, a vintage, white dial, no-date, stainless or gold Seamaster is definitely "dressy" and nothing but.

(ii) I have a very similar 1958 Seamaster (but I also want RogerP's gorgeous blue-hand 30T2 ;)) and I think, especially with the smaller diameter and thinner lugs, that, in terms of a strap:
a) black calf is a bit too flat
b) black alligator is a bit too textured
c) black lizard is just right

signed, not Goldilocks.

Edit: my black lizard strap is a Di-Modell; it has lasted for years, still looks great on both sides, breathes well, and so I highly recommend the brand.

See photos in next post.

Thanks! Your watch with lizard looks great. My watch is also an 18mm.

Coincidentally, just the other day I was eyeing different options in a local jewelry store and saw a black lizard band for 18 mm. I may circle back this week. Your Goldilocks analysis is persuasive.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1056663

I’m enjoying my “new” vintage find. My two part question: (i) how far up the “dressy” scale would you place a steel Seamaster, and (ii) would a black alligator strap be appropriate?

Absolutely. A nice black alligator strap and it’s a lovely dress watch. I have alligator on mine too.
68DCAB50-ADA1-4A69-A728-AB8947136DD5.jpeg

Christian GV.

Reaction score
This is the second - and last - watch I own.
It has been love at first sight, for the cleanliness of design and because it's my same age: we both were born in 1962!

That's simply brilliant! When you find something like that you just gotta get it :colgate:

Just acquired my second watch as well, figured I could share some photos in this thread. I inherited a white Seiko Perpetual 39mm for a long time ago and it's been my only watch, very nice yet a tad large for the shirt cuff when wearing a suit. It was time to find a thinner watch, and I was lucky to win the bidding on a vintage 1966 Timex Marlin (type 2014-2466) with the champagne dial for a reasonable price.

Here it is alongside the Seiko. Very pleased with the Timex's 34 mm size, I think it fits my small wrist quite well.

Bilde-20.10-.jpg
Bilde-20.10.jpg

Now I can only ponder what this Marlin has gone through the last 52 years!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Christian GV. Beautiful watch! I think it oozes that particular elegance of the sixties - clean, sober, not overstated, but all of this out of self discipline rather than of lack of imagination. I hope I managed to express the concept.
As for my watch, truth be told, it's only the model to be 56 y.o.. It has been designed by Architect Max Bill in 1962 and recently Junghans made it available even in the remotest parts of the civilized world to my great joy!

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new toy. DuBois Perpetual Calender. (yes, it does belong in this thread)

s-l1600.jpg

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more cross post. My new pilot watch. Always wanted one with cathedral hands but until I find one this one will do. The center dial is rotating 360 via crown.

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That King Seiko is stunning!

Here's a stunning oversize vintage Omega 30T2 to join the party.

orig.jpg
... should you ever get tired of such a watch, I'd gladly help you to dispose of it - you just have to send it to me at your cost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads