1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Lumaca

Lumaca Well-Known Member

I thought one of the rules of CM is no black with brown? I would prefer a reddish burgundy myself. Padded.

2. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

No black with brown.... for watches??? That would be news to me. It's certainly a staple combo for pilot watches and looks just fine here to me.

3. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Not just pilot, it's a classic for the sub and other black divers. (and I won't reopen the black shoes with brown discussion :p)

4. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Perhaps my best value purchase ever in terms of style for the dollar.

[​IMG]

5. Lumaca

Lumaca Well-Known Member

Lol, my Laco came with a brown strap too, but a lot redder in tone (which I do prefer to make the dial pop).

Also, saw the new Presage SJE073 with the thinner movement and case yesterday. What a fine watch! Sadly the price more than doubles the PMW budget...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018

6. venessian

venessian Distinguished Member

Yes, brown shell, flat. The brown flat looks great there.

I think the dial/case are again a bit too "formal" for a padded strap. Padded straps work better on sportier watches like true pilots, subs, chronos, etc., imo.

Are the lug widths the same on your blue-dial Rider and black-dial Seiko?
    If so, you could then of course easily swap the black and brown shell straps between the two watches whenever you wanted.

+3.

7. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Senior Member

@mosy honestly, i doubt it will work. Most times black dial and brown strap just looks plain (very) bad.

8. mosy

mosy Distinguished Member

Looks like black dial on brown strap is one of those things that some people really like and some people really don’t. Hmm

9. venessian

Like many things, and that's just fine. The only "some people" that counts is yourself.

There is no "rule" against black dial/brown strap. It certainly is not a "shoe/belt" kind of thing...much more a "which wine with meat versus fish" kind of thing.

As RogerP and am55 already stated above, essentially every original, classic military watch (Flieger, Diver, even Marine (even black dial models)) were/are very common with brown straps. But even much more formal watches with black dials are found with (appropriate) brown straps. Don't sweat it, if you like it.

Plus, as posted above, if the lug widths of your Rider and Seiko are the same, just switch out the straps on occasion if you want.

10. mosy

11. Anubis

Anubis Member

12. venessian

Wow, I had that exact Casio Quartz for many, many years, all through college, grad school, etc. Were these around even before Swatch? I don't really remember now.

I loved mine, it was so clean, and it was really good. I only replaced it when I lost it on a trip, with a G-Shock (now going on 20+ years also)...two Casios in 40+ years...around $100 for both...not too bad PMW's at all.

I recently found a NOS/NIB replacement bezel and strap for my old G-Shock on eBay...$15 total, a few minutes to replace. Casios/G-Shocks are great.

13. mosy

This one is 34mm and costs around $10.

14. venessian

OK, not exact, then...mine was definitely not 34mm, even 20 years ago! :)