• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While researching the term guilloché (thanks to @Fandegrue) I ran across this beauty....I am smitten :inlove:...not that I would spend that kind of money...well maybe if I wasn't married :cool:

holy grail3.JPG

holy grail2.JPG

holy grail.JPG

Last edited:

johnvw

Reaction score
Close! It was in Les Arcs, in Savoie, in France. But I felt that the watch was not that appropriate because it is fairly dressy and I spent the day hiking around :)

Thank you! The final prototypes should be ready end of next week, so hopefully I'll soon be able to post wristshot with them here :) As for what I was wearing, it is a Seagull 819.383, which I bought in Singapore. I'm quite satisfied with it; the ST25 movement is very accurate and sturdy (I would just wish for a higher frequency), and the dial has a very nice depth. Of course, it's not true guilloché, but still the whole is very clean and attractive. Only downside I would say is the strap, which is a few notches below what Seagull used to produce 5-6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. An elegant watch overall!

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue Sumo is so nice except the diameter and the date window should have been framed and round not ******* square when all markers are round. 39mm and round date window would've made that watch a keeper.

P.S. There are so many vintage Swiss complications under 1000USD on the net... I am amazed you guys are wasting your money on brand new watches that look like death.

Fandegrue

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
While researching the term guilloché (thanks to @Fandegrue) I ran across this beauty....I am smitten :inlove:...not that I would spend that kind of money...well maybe if I wasn't married :cool:

View attachment 1013830

View attachment 1013831

View attachment 1013832

Thank you for your reply. An elegant watch overall!

I'm a huge fan of guilloché too! About the Czapek, a friend of mine had it with her for some time and confirmed that the dial was one of the very best it is possible to get at this price range... ;) I don't have any true guilloché-dial watches (too expensive sadly), but a few of mines still have guilloché-like pattern stamped. Here are a few pictures:

First, the Seagull that I posted earlier on:

wechat46.jpg

wechat45.jpg

Here's an old Shanghai A581, from the 1960s:

wechat48.jpg

wechat47.jpg

One of my favourites ever, the Maison Celadon Imperial:

wechat51.jpg

wechat50.jpg

And, lastly, here's what I was wearing today... But it doesn't have a guilloché dial!

wechat53.jpg

wechat52.jpg

Have a nice rest of the day!

Robin.

johnvw

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of guilloché too! About the Czapek, a friend of mine had it with her for some time and confirmed that the dial was one of the very best it is possible to get at this price range... ;) I don't have any true guilloché-dial watches (too expensive sadly), but a few of mines still have guilloché-like pattern stamped. Here are a few pictures:

First, the Seagull that I posted earlier on:

wechat46.jpg

wechat45.jpg

Here's an old Shanghai A581, from the 1960s:

wechat48.jpg

wechat47.jpg

wechat51.jpg

wechat50.jpg

And, lastly, here's what I was wearing today... But it doesn't have a guilloché dial!

wechat53.jpg

wechat52.jpg

Robin.

Exquisite! Especially (imo) the ones pictured in the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth pictures from the top.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wechat51.jpg

wechat50.jpg

Can you post some pics of this watch at a better angle? Head on? Less light? Tks.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes please post that fairy-tale Chinese watch. I've checked the website about a year ago and checked it again yesterday ; website has the same 3D renderings of non existing watch. Please pre-order, because it has a very special seconds hand.

Meanwhile in Japan.

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Fandegrue

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Exquisite! Especially (imo) the ones pictured in the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth pictures from the top.

Thank you so much! I'll look for other guilloché dials in my collection once I head back home, and will post pictures here :)

Can you post some pics of this watch at a better angle? Head on? Less light? Tks.

Hey! I'm currently on holiday (since this morning haha) and I left the Maison Celadon at home... So I will take some more pictures (and post them here) when I head back home, in 10-12 days or so :) In the meantime, here are some screenshots of two pics I uploaded on my Instagram a long while ago.

screen11.png

screen10.png

What really sold me to this watch in the first place was the combination of the depth of the guilloché dial and the heat-blued hands and logo... I have to say that, after four years, it still has a strong effect on me!

Yes please post that fairy-tale Chinese watch. I've checked the website about a year ago and checked it again yesterday ; website has the same 3D renderings of non existing watch. Please pre-order, because it has a very special seconds hand.

Meanwhile in Japan.

View attachment 1014640

Yes, the website doesn't get updated too often... That being said, it is still by all means a very nice watch. I had the opportunity to meet Ben (the founder and owner) once in Singapore, and to say that he was dedicated and committed to his products would be an understatement... He was genuine as it is possible to get.

Very cool Seiko btw! I quite like these series that take cues from the old Laurel dials!

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What watch is this, Robin? Thanks!

wechat53.jpg

wechat52.jpg

Robin.

johnvw

Reaction score
This is maybe a "noob" question that someone on this forum may have a take on/insight into: Why are some watches made with a combination of numerals and stick indices on the dials? I don't see the attraction to doing this and don't especially like the aesthetic. Any answers?

Davinci Code

Reaction score
Below is a cross post from the Hoffman Watches affiliate thread. Does anyone else who backed them feel this way?

I'm not that familiar with Kickstarter but to me it seems somewhat disingenuous that you guys are still offering the watches at almost 50% off even though the campaign is over. Part of the value in "investing" early is to get a substantial discount that won't be available to later "investors". By essentially extending the campaign you have watered down the value for the early backers.
Perhaps this is common practice on Kickstarter, I don't know. Can someone shed some light? Am I wrong?

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First you develop a product and then make a good stock of it then you start a kickstarter campaign posing as if you just started developing such product, then gerbils give you money and you sell your stock.

Corso

Reaction score
CZAPEK is really nice, what are the prices? they seem expensive

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
38mm Olympic Landeron chrono in perfect condition. See it on Ebay.

Olimpic.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads