Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. stro

stro Active Member

nice mecha-quartz! if only there was an SSB without the date window..

2. McKriss

McKriss Senior member

Yes or no on the strap?

Tie from here

20170924_115018.jpg

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Super nice submariner type , but still its own thing. I think I like the design little more than the Rolex. Which model is that?

5. goodnuff

goodnuff Member

I think that strap is perfect with the dial color of the watch.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

@McKriss I think that's perfect: a bit of 70s retro sport feel with the perforations suits the classic chrono, and the light tan makes the dial look really fresh. That is a fine looking combo. My only reservation would be that the light strap looks rather casual with a suit, but as I also wear a chrono with a suit sometimes, I can't throw stones.

Jazz, I don't think that strap belongs on that watch...too close in colour while a little dissonant in feel with the fancy hide against a bezeled tool diver. Begging for contrast, I feel? Not that you asked, but this is the internet; opinions are everywhere!

7. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

I was confused...I guess you're talking about the CWard? That is the strap it came with...knowing me, I am not opposed to changing things...any ideas? I have a navy blue leather Nato that might work. What color contrast would you prefer? Lighter? I have a lot of spare straps and love to experiment.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Sorry, first thing in the morning for me! Yeah, you understood me right: for leather a rich tan/brown with some orangey-red tones in it would really make that blue pop. For a NATO...well, you don't need any encouragement to try something loud! Grey with an orange stripe?

9. crdb

crdb Senior member

FWIW my croc straps are my most robust, and accordingly go on the more sporty watches. It's a tough skin - just happens to be overpriced if sourced in the US :p

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I found Panatime had some reasonably priced Nile croc.

And I agree, it can be good stuff: I have a phat 45mm Helson that weighs as much as a small car, and it's on a thick, untapered light brown croc strap with heavy contrast stitching. It works brilliantly as a casual mildly pimpish weekender, I think. It's still not sporty, but for a night out or lazing in the sun it seems to fit the mood as a thick, solid-looking decoration for a watch that's the same.

But. Apart from the showy nature of the exotic hide, when it's also a sober dark navy blue, subtly stitched, tapered and dainty, I don't think it looks right on a diver. The watch is question is also very colourful so I think it needs a strap that isn't too serious.

Anyway, strap games are a big part of the PMW fun, aren't they?

11. SJR3

SJR3 Senior member

So my Farer arrived today. :slayer:

I must admit that between my last post about the watch and this one, I had a bit of buyer's remorse, even before receiving the watch. I contemplated returning it. But once I actually got it, I instantly fell in love. This thing is a work of art. Way more beautiful in person than in pictures.

This watch is everything I hoped it would be. For me, it's two things in one: the absolute sublime quartz watch AND GMT watch. The style is simple and classic, yet modern. The packaging was superb. And perhaps most importantly, it fits my wrist amazingly. Seriously, I think this watch is ideal in every dimension of size for me: 39.5mm diameter, 10mm depth, 20mm lugs. And incredibly light and comfortable.

And the movement is almost completely silent (as opposed to my other quartz watch, a very LOUD Timex Weekender) and the tics of the second hand hit their markers pretty much exactly. I wouldn't expect anything less from a $500+ quartz, watch, but this was something I was worried about.

Anyway, a quick and dirty pic on the wrist:

IMG_1776.JPG

I haven't actually set the watch accurately yet. Strangely, the watch arrived set to my local time within a minute, but the GMT hand is way off. Will fix tomorrow.