Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Filipe1977

Filipe1977 New Member

I´m from Portugal. And we love brown as much as Italians. :)

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Here's one of my more interesting PMWs:

Analog/Digital Swiss Army "Hunter" Mach 3
    Victorinox4.jpeg Victorinox5.jpeg Victorinox6.jpeg

It's not one that I see get talked about online anywhere too often and I bought it after seeing it show up in the early days of Gilt.com (but found it new from eBay for much less). I don't think they were ever big sellers from Victorinox. It's got some pretty good chrono functions and a nice, loud alarm (much louder that my G Shocks which always sort of let me down with their volume).

The one drawback, IMO, is the integrated bracelet. Yes, the barrel design does look pretty good with the shape of the watch case and you can see that the designers put a lot of effort and thought into how to make the case work well with the bracelet, but I'd like the ability to switch it up on occasion.

FWIW, the bracelet fits my wrist very comfortably, but there is no micro-adjustment and you can only remove full links so I could see that being an uncomfortable problem for some folks.

3. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I hate all these fake Made in USSR watches. Some of them have a decent face but the mere fact that they are all made yesterday and pretend to be vintage kills it for me. Please please don't buy fake vintag Russian crap.

Why do you say that? What are the examples of essential Russian designed watches? I am not aware of any. Most Russian mechanical watches are derivative of European models often copy-cats of them. Speaking of POLJOT de Luxe ultra-thin gold plated watches with mother of pearl dial. At least those were stylish if not original. All that crap that comes now from RU and UKR with monikers of WWII, Soviet Pilot, Soviet Sub, Shturmanskie blah blah BS. They are all cheaply made in China yesterday.
    I grew up in USSR, most of the watches you are buying haven't existed prior to 2010.

On slightly diff note ; all these internet fanboys on YouTube ruined the vintage market. Now there is even fake vintage market out there on Fleabays. I wish I bought more Swiss gold watches for around 100USD in the 1990s and 2000s. Not to flip , juts to enjoy. Now nothing decent is available for less than 500.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 4:03 PM

4. goodnuff

goodnuff Member

The Russian watch I bought didn't pretend to be vintage. In fact, it was advertised as being new, not vintage or anything special. I bought it because I wanted a 24-hour watch, with a mechanical hand-winding movement, and a black face. I got all of that, built with what I think are quality movement parts from Vostok. I know it's not original from the factory, I know someone put movement parts together to make it, and I'm more than okay with that because it runs spot on for keeping time. I got exactly what I paid for, exactly what I wanted, and it works like a charm.

5. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

I don't quite understand the fascination with Russian watches...not my cup of tea. I do remember about 40 years ago my short lived stepbrother had a Russian watch with the CCCP logo...must have been a real one?
    20170916_190319.jpg

6. crdb

crdb Senior member

I never thought you of all people would wear the 65! But somehow you make it work within your "very far from office worker" style. Wonderful stuff.

I was drawn to the Russians for two reasons aside from cost: first, the design language was very far from what was then and still is common elsewhere, even on the budget end, which made them really stand out; second, the vintage ultra slim calibres were the only budget hand wind option that didn't look terrible, at least that I knew of (I won't bore you again with my love for the Citizen movement copies from a certain subcontinent). There was a period where my rotation was almost entirely Luch 2209s. I also liked the irony of wearing Soviet vintage watches as a then capitalist pig (call that the "history" side if you like - the 2209 being the watch of choice for the Soviet administrator).

A friend bought the Buran Siberia and I thought at the time that it looked rather good and distinctive compared to Seikos in the same price range. There may be more options on the market today, particularly with the Korean and Chinese. It's also quite a thick watch for a hand wind - and here I think we find the downside of these movements, which is that they are not designed to look good, but to be practical, which in a world of good quality movements that also look good and are cheap, doesn't quite cut it anymore. Cf. how the movement swims in a Komandirskie.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Not with a brown strap. And I think the hands are too short. Not too short for formal wear :D - just too short.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Depends what you mean by "formal wear". If I were pedantic I'd say you can't wear a brown watch strap with a morning suit or white tie.

But if you mean is it suitable for wearing with a jacket and tie - which I assume is the case - then emphatically "yes"!

9. goodnuff

goodnuff Member

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

IMG_1298.JPG IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1296.JPG
    Here you go.

Not the best shots, but I can never seem to get a good shot of a watch actually on my wrist - maybe it has something to do with being a lefty and/or using an iPhone?

The photos make the bracelet look like it's digging into my wrist and while it is a bulky, and by no means light, watch, it's definitely pretty comfortable.

11. goodnuff

goodnuff Member

Thanks - that definitely looks like a watch for someone with a big wrist, so it works for yours. I was cursed with small wrists and there's no way I could wear that, but I really like it.

12. SJR3

SJR3 Senior member

I've been eyeing this watch for months and finally decided I need to own it. Never thought I'd spend this much on a Quartz watch, but (mostly) everything about it is right up my alley, and I've always wanted a UTC/dual time zone watch. Free next day shipping from the UK, too. :)

Carter_II_ecom_jeans_1024x1024.jpg