• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I miss my Shogun, and I periodically debate revisiting it, but I know my grail is a Pelagos, in large part due to the bracelet. Nothing beats wearing a titanium watch, especially in the summer. Clever marketing has conditioned us to equate heavy with quality, and so people walk around with steel hockey pucks, but the light weight of titanium (and especially the hardened polish of Diashield) is pretty obviously superior. You really notice it in the summer, where the metal does not get as warm and sweaty as steel.

thams

Reaction score
Excited for the unboxing of my first "real" watch purchase. The Sinn 556. Not too big or too small. Just the right amount of flash for me while still retaining the utilitarian look I was going for. I'm not a huge fan of the black strap (although it's definitely high quality), so I swapped it for a Da Luca olive NATO strap. Loving the combo.

IMG_6698.JPG
IMG_6699.JPG
IMG_6700.JPG

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How bad is it to put an 18mm strap on a watch with 19mm lugs? It's just that 19mm straps are so limited.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love to get some thoughts on putting a color 8 shell strap on the Seiko SNX77:

upload_2017-7-12_23-29-12.jpeg

upload_2017-7-12_23-29-31.jpeg

All opinions welcome!!

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like shell straps, but I think that watch might be a little too dressy for that strap.

Hey thanks. I also thought that, but then I saw this and I thought, hey maybe it can be a nice combo (this is not shell and I believe it's brown, but it's a similar idea):

upload_2017-7-13_0-22-22.jpeg

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks. I also thought that, but then I saw this and I thought, hey maybe it can be a nice combo (this is not shell and I believe it's brown, but it's a similar idea):

View attachment 812698

I'd go more like this (prob without the fake gator grain though)

12407546_1665322370382812_1949801365_n.jpg

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@mosy Go for the #8 as you said; not the more brown one you posted. The red tones will ping off that blue dial beautifully. But get one without the two big stitches - that's better for something casual like a pilot. Either matching, or small, even contrast stitching will be lovely. Be sure to post a pic!

As for the rest of you assholes, I have wasted most of this week wondering what can or should be done in Seiko modifications. I am struggling. If I start with the case I want I find the mods aren't available, and if I go all the way with what I actually want, I might as well just buy a more expensive watch...it's a minefield.

I'm really liking the "Shogun" as a summer travel watch, especially given Deranged Goose's comments. But I wish it had the Samurai's bezel and crown, Sumo hands and a cleaner Samurai or Stargate-type dial. And the date at 6 o'clock. And a GMT function. It's not possible to switch bezel inserts on the Shogun. I'm wondering if the whole bezel can be switched with the Samurai? But then I'm starting with a $800 watch and basically changing everything but the case and (possibly!) bracelet. And Seiko don't make an automatic GMT movement anyway. Nor do Miyota.

So, ETA 2836 (Top!) movement, change date wheel for 6 o'clock black, Samurai bezel and crown, custom Samurai bezel insert, custom dial, odd custom hands, custom lume job, dome crystal, might as well have a crystal caseback too, in which case maybe customise the rotor on that ETA movement...I'm liking the Stargate second hand as the GMT hand...see what I mean?

Seriously though: back in sensible PMW world, I like Jazzy's Samurai. I like the Sumo too, but that thin bracelet issue, yeah. That "special edition" Jazzy is wearing is really cool and comfortably PMW at about $500. I've just seen there is another that's hitting the market now, and I think I like it even more - very understated with the grey instead of light blue on the bezel, and that textured dial is lovely:

Seiko-Prospex-SRPB49K1-1703239531.jpg

@DerangedGoose , you're always the man with the Russian wild card: any GMT options that are clean and smart as a daily summer/travel watch? GMT chrono would be even better, but the ones I've seen are just so busy and bright. Suggestions welcome.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice Sinn up there.

How bad is it to put an 18mm strap on a watch with 19mm lugs? It's just that 19mm straps are so limited.

It's not that bad:

ga001-rolex-sean-connery.jpg

- though if having even a slight gap bothers you, you might be able to fit most 20's on your 19mm watch (I'm using both 18 and 20mm NATO's on my 19mm Mk XV).

Oh, and shell straps are bad :devil:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice Sinn up there.

It's not that bad:

ga001-rolex-sean-connery.jpg

- though if having even a slight gap bothers you, you might be able to fit most 20's on your 19mm watch (I'm using both 18 and 20mm NATO's on my 19mm Mk XV).

Oh, and shell straps are bad :devil:

The gap above appears bigger than 1mm. Are you sure that's all it is?

Re shell straps, I have two watches with replacement shell straps and I'm thrilled thus far. Granted they are relatively new. What's your beef with them?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I would definitely go bigger rather than smaller. A woven strap will squash a bit, a leather or rubber one can easily be trimmed/filed a touch if need be. But best be patient and find the right 19mm. Also, there is the option of buying more watches. But I have to say that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads