1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

2. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

3. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

4. mosy

mosy Senior member

What are some good places to get decently priced replacement straps for watches that cost less than $500?

5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Do you mean straps that cost less than $500 or straps for watches where the watches cost less than $500? If it's the former, I think you're looking in the wrong spots! :rotflmao: I crack myself up!

My go to choice for inexpensive straps is cheapestnatostraps.com - they have a pretty wide selection of NATOs, Zulus, two pieces, perlon, etc. They ship from Sweden and arrive pretty quickly in the U.S. and the prices are hard to beat.

I've got a couple of straps from ToxicNATOs and Maratac and they are pretty nice as well. They are a couple dollars more expensive than cheapestnatostraps but they are definitely a bit heavier duty with a little bit nicer hardware. FWIW, Maratac seems to be the go to manufacturer for quite a few of the boutique brands that ship on a NATO.

If you are looking for a rubber strap for a dive watch, I'm a big advocate of Isofrane. They are more expensive but they are super comfortable. You can occasionally find people selling new ones on eBay for a few dollars less than retail and if you don't mind used, you can sometimes find them for maybe $20 or $30 off (check out WatchRecon).

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I like cola reb for vintage/rugged straps to throw on a dive watch. Crafter Blue is good for a Seiko rubber strap. There are also inexpensive Hirsch options as well.

7. crdb

crdb Senior member

Not much patina - do you maintain it, or is it relatively new/unworn? How bulky does it wear?

8. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

20170518_065254.jpg Jeanrichard can be had for under $1K if you watch for the Jomas Shop flash sales!

9. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

20170518_185108.jpg It has been worn less than 10 times. It doesn't wear bulky at all. Not too thick... one of my current favorites.

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 6:55 PM
  10. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Senior member

I just purchased one of these a few weeks ago and it is amazing how bright it is in total darkness. You can't tell that from these pictures, but here are a couple more of mine. IMG_7551.JPG IMG_7552.JPG

11. jiredell

jiredell Active Member

12. mosy

mosy Senior member

Looking for a leather strap for my new SARB033. Thinking perhaps a black shell cordovan strap from Fluco. If so, should I go with flat or padded?

13. crdb

crdb Senior member

Any Deep Blue owners? I've just discovered the ridiculous depth ones, the original Master 2000 caught my eye in particular...

Today I put my Baby Tuna on a ballistic nylon strap salvaged from a G-shock. It solved many issues I had with the bracelet when using the tuna as a summer beater: weight (this halved it; still substantial but not much more so than a G-shock), catching hair in between the links, scratching everything I rest my arm on, and the bracelet itself getting scratched, getting a precise wrist fit vs living with the gap between links, raising the massive chunk of metal a bit so my arm and wrist can move around without it getting in the way, and isolating my skin from metal in the heat with 100% humidity. I also think it looks good - black strap, black dial, both sort of mat. Tempted to take it sailing this weekend...

14. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Pretty happy with my modified Seiko 5 that arrived from Yobokies today. Omega Railmaster homage.

IMG_2355.JPG