1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Flake

Flake Senior member

I don't believe I am mistaken, although knockoff may have been a poor choice of words. It's not a Venus 175. Yes, I know the history. But buying the tools certainly doesn't make them the same as Venus. They have certainly done a nice job with it though.

2. iroh

iroh Senior member

the alpha must have come from the same factory as those replica rolexes, just a dial swap and you got a winner

3. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Seiko 5. Read this thread, it has already been recommended numerous times.

4. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

One could argue that ST-19 is the upgraded version of V175. With 21.600 bph against the the original 18.000 bph along with the shock absorber.
    Knock off is a poor choice of words, as that would indicate that it is a counterfeit...and that is certainly not the case, as they bought the movement and tools to make them over 50 years ago.

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I just got one of these Saturday and I love it. I really lovethe colors. The cream of the face and the hand colors are great.

I wish it was a little bigger, a little thinner and not a chronograph but it does look really nice. A couple of questions. I thought the red hand was the second hand but it seems to be the chronograph hand? Also, The top pusher seems a little rough...is that normal?

Is there any problem with letting the chronograph run all the time since I think it makes a nicer second hand.

Thanks.

6. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

What is the consensus on those Alpha watches? They look decent and come with a 1 year warranty.

7. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Alpha makes a decent watch. I have had a few over the years and never had any issues. They are good watches, since they are inexpensive and when they need service you can just rplace them for much less.

8. coreyaugustus

coreyaugustus Active Member

I haven't had mine very long, but it seems to keep good time. Hasn't self-destructed, etc. It's obviously not a rolex, but plenty good enough for folks on this thread. I finally decided to replace the rickety bracelet. For the money, an Alpha is a good buy.

9. LeeReynolds

LeeReynolds Active Member

Many Chinese movements are unmitigated crap. Sea-Gull is one of the exceptions to this rule. They make very good movements, especially the ones that go into their own watches.

10. LeeReynolds

LeeReynolds Active Member

I think Parnis makes interesting watches. This one is inspired by the IWC Portuguese line.

I can't speak to the quality of the watch itself since I've never owned one, but I can say that its using Sea-Gull's copy of the ETA 2893.

If you didn't pay much then you've probably got a good watch for the money.

11. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

I'm interested in the watch. What's the model name/number?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

This was discussed earlier in the thread, you have to contact someone specifically to get this watch.

I would look a few pages back for the contact.

13. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

Hello. The red hand is the chronograph hand, it accumulates seconds for the minute accumulator. As far was the top pusher being a little rough, mine seem to be the same. It is a mechanical so letting the chronograph run all the time might cause the watch to unwind a little faster, but I don't think it will hurt the watch.

14. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Some of you are posting some fancy, expensive pieces for a poor man's thread!

Here's a cheap old watch I like as a poor man. I love these older watches given their less than 35mm diameter what with my girly wrists and all :embar:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  15. linsook

linsook Senior member

16. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Seagull 1963 chronograph

I got mine from Thomas [lhczthomas@gmail.com]. Communication was a little rough/VERY slow. I wanted to buy 2 at the same time but he never understood and it took a LONG time for him to respond to my emails at all. I had/have some issues with Paypal so I tried to do a bank transfer but that was a fiasco as well. I finally "Verified" myself with Paypal by giving them a bank account number and I the watch was at the post office within 5 days awaiting pickup. Not bad considering he is in Hong Kong. I love the watch and so far reviews are positive. I am looking for a strap for it.

[rant]On a side note I do not like or trust Paypal. I have made $10,000 in purchases and then they want my bank account information? No legitimate business asks me this after $10,000 successful low dollar transactions. I cannot wait until Visa gets their competitor going and I will not use Paypal for phone payments because they are sketchy. [/rant]

17. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Thank you for the response. I guess i will not worry about the rough pusher and enjoy the watch. :)

18. Ndure

Ndure Senior member

How do you change strap? My spring bars are stucked. :butbut:

19. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

This thread moved me to resurrect my like new Seiko that I put away after a couple of months when I obtained my daily wear Rolex almost 10 years ago. IIRC, it cost just over a hundred bucks and the kinetic energy cell battery thingy had gone bad. Forty dollars later and I have a cheap watch to wear when I need something with a blue face.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  20. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Now you need to put your camera where that watch used to be and get a new one. ;)