Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. iroh

iroh Senior member

Seiko Blue Spark, automatic movement. I bought it for $235,and have had offers for $450.
    [​IMG]

this is a great looking watch, where did you buy this watch?

2. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

Bought it some years ago while on a business trip to Japan-an impulse purchase. I think they are discontinued now, but maybe somebody else can tell you more on that.

3. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

^ get it if you like it. its cheap anyways right?

hook up on the hamilton canteen?

The Hamilton Canteen has been discontinued. There is a newer version (discontinued as well), but I don't really care for it myself-has two canteen covers on it and some crazy action going on the crystal.

Here is a stainless version with a bracelet on the bay (not mine). These retailed for about $1200 when new, I believe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Exquisite-Hamilt...item3a635b28c2

4. RTenenbaum

RTenenbaum Active Member

Can anyone explain the difference between nato/grosgrain watchbands? I'm looking for a casual watch and really like the look of the J. Crew style watch strapshttp://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...3837/13837.jsp. What would you call these straps? Also, how can you tell which watches these straps will fit? For instance, if I pick up a Skagen, will it fit? Thanks for the help.

5. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Can anyone explain the difference between nato/grosgrain watchbands? I'm looking for a casual watch and really like the look of the J. Crew style watch strapshttp://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...3837/13837.jsp. What would you call these straps? Also, how can you tell which watches these straps will fit? For instance, if I pick up a Skagen, will it fit? Thanks for the help.
    Most "NATO" straps are made of nylon. They will be much sturdier than Grosgrain simply because they are woven thicker and tighter. I'd also go out on a limb and say that most NATO style straps will be more durable simply because of their intended use (nylon for function over grosgrain for style.) Also, in regard to Skagen specifically, most of their watches do not have swappable straps and use screw-in straps. I made sure the two I picked up used the traditional pin system so I could swap them out. Also, both of mine take a 20mm strap. This was the first Skagen I owned (in white face with brown strap) and though I loved it, the strap could not be changed out because it was cut and screwed directly into the body. This did provide a ridiculously streamlined look though: [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. quuz

quuz Senior member

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

8. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

[​IMG]

9. venessian

venessian Senior member

Seiko Blue Spark, automatic movement. I bought it for $235,and have had offers for $450.
    I believe it. I'd advise you to never sell that watch, though. It's a classic.

Bought it some years ago while on a business trip to Japan-an impulse purchase. I think they are discontinued now, but maybe somebody else can tell you more on that.
    Yes, discontinued several years ago. Very difficult to find now.

One was listed just two days ago on a watch forum and sold almost immediately (not to me, though [​IMG]).

10. acecow

acecow Senior member

Are those sea-gulls replicas or original designs? The one earlier in this thread is really nice.

Here's my version of a cheap watch:

[​IMG]

11. pokpok

pokpok Senior member

12. unjung

unjung Senior member

Pokpok, we can't see your images because Imageshack sucks. Use imgur or something.

Anyone know if anyone is selling a Seagull 1963 with a glass front? Some have a plastic front.

13. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Pokpok, we can't see your images because Imageshack sucks. Use imgur or something.

Anyone know if anyone is selling a Seagull 1963 with a glass front? Some have a plastic front.

Right click on the image >> open in new tab.

14. unjung

unjung Senior member

Right click on the image >> open in new tab.

No chance in hell I'm going to that kind of work on SF. Dozens of photos per page in certain threads.

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Are those sea-gulls replicas or original designs? The one earlier in this thread is really nice.

I assume originals. Metlin?

Here's my version of a cheap watch:

[​IMG]

Beautiful, acecow. Just lovely.