1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

2. md2010

md2010 Senior member

i bought this watch 5 years ago. i was poor then and poor now.
    [​IMG]

3. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

[​IMG] Just got this in the mail a couple of days ago. Bought it after seeing it posted earlier in this thread. <3

4. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

I think my favorite part of enjoying cheap watches is the ability to see a watch I like out in the wild and buy something close to it pretty soon after without having to worry about dropping a mortgage payment like some of the guys over in the real watch thread, haha. For example, a week or so ago I had lunch with a friend. He had a black watch with rose gold accents and I thought it was a pretty good look. I found a Grenen that is actually the same model as one I've already got but in the colors I was looking for. Less than 100 bucks later I've got a black watch with rose gold accents on a black NATO with black hardware. [​IMG] Grenen Model M-44XLBRB: [​IMG]

5. 3dials

3dials Senior member

Back in the day, I bought a Timex similar to the Easy Reader. I never wore it because I could not abide its unnervingly loud ticking. I do not mind hearing a movement, but the Timex was just a harsh sound heartlessly tolling the seconds of eternity.
    My watch for small-timer days is a Timex Easy Reader. I bought it at Target on sale for $23 and replaced the strap with a nice glove leather band for $12. It's beautiful and simple and I like it.

[​IMG]

6. 3dials

3dials Senior member

Duplicate post.

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I have to recommend Bernhardts. I have a red dial Sea Shark myself. Fred Amos is a hero among the Poor Man's Watch Forum set, who are every bit as insane about watches as SF is about clothes. I got mine off their recommendation and I love it. Fred Amos is a folk hero over there... http://www.bernhardtwatch.com/index.php?id=31

8. 3dials

3dials Senior member

I heartily concur. You can get a trusty, quality Seiko for about $100 that should serve your purposes well. I own several and always enjoy slipping them on my wrist. Check out watchrecon.com to see what's out there. Timezone.com and watchuseek.com are also a handy place to get suggestions.
    IMO you should go for something better. Accuracy is an issue for automatics in general, but for an under $50 Chinese watch I bet accuracy is everything but existent. I of course may be wrong, because I never tried the model you link to.

Several months ago I bought a Chinese automatic watch for aprox. $150 plus shipping... And it's bleh. I won't repeat.

9. Masa

Masa Member

I got a Seiko too. It has been working well for about 9 years now :) Not the most stylish watch but its usable.

10. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

My new Seiko SKX013 should be coming in the mail any day now:

[​IMG]

11. PMac

PMac Well-Known Member

Nice watch, I have the SKX007 and wear it regularly as my beach & pool watch. Wear it in good health.

12. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

YOu can't go wrong with their watches. They are great quality and look beautiful in person. I had a pilot chrono and sold it to few years back to help fund a new Rolex. I have regretted it ever since and have it on my wish list for my 40th birthday next year.

13. venessian

venessian Senior member

Solid, solid, solid. Excellent watches; home-made cases (Ickler makes them for many other manufacturers as well); very good for the price.

14. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Can anyone give me a good source for NATO straps?

15. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

16. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

17. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I'm looking at one of these styles (in different patterns) from maratac:

[​IMG]

Thinking particularly about the zulu (also called RAF style) or two piece as I don't like the bulk of the G10 Nato strap.

18. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

pretentious poor man's watch

19. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

20. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Nice shirt!

No comment required for the 1963. Iconic.