Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I have to say, I think this is my favourite thread on SF now [​IMG]

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I have to say, I think this is my favourite thread on SF now [​IMG]

+1, but it needs some more variety.

3. tomee

tomee Senior member

so are those seaguls NOS or custom made?

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1, but it needs some more variety.

Oh I don't know. I think over the length of it, it's had some decent variety.

5. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

I'll play, and possibly bring a bit of variety. I really like the military style of watches, and here is my collection of poor man's watches: Marathon Mechanical US Government Issue, with mechanical ETA movement, circa 2005. Tritium tubes for lume. [​IMG] Hamilton WWII watch-67 years old, and was issued to my grandfather. Hamilton mechanical movement. Gains about 4 seconds a day. A great watch, and surprisingly heavy and amazingly accurate. I wear it often. [​IMG] A gift from my wife, Christmas of 1998, quartz movement. [​IMG] Citizen Quartz, bought for myself in 1989. [​IMG] Seiko Blue Spark, automatic movement. I bought it for $235,and have had offers for $450. [​IMG] Knock-off of a replica of a Korean War diver's watch, called a canteen watch. mechanical movement, unsure of movement mfr. This is a placeholder until I can find an authentic Elgin or Hamilton version. Have the funds, but these don't come up so often and when they do, they go quickly. [​IMG] Modern Hamilton Canteen, automatic movement [​IMG] Elgin 24 hour dial watch circa Korean War-hands sweep the dial once every 24 hours. A bit challenging to use on a regular basis, but a great watch. Mechanical Elgin movement. Gains about 30 seconds/day, shares the strap from the WWII Hamilton. [​IMG]

6. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

so are those seaguls NOS or custom made?
    They are (newly minted) reissues of the original 1963 Chinese Air Force version. There are a couple of threads on the Watchuseek forums that discuss the various versions that are available:
    Although, the one posted here seems to be the favorite.

7. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

If I am not mistaken, I have seen a '21 zuan' version with a mineral crystal, otherwise true to rep. What is this?

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Excellent watches, glowell. Thanks so much for sharing.

9. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

If I am not mistaken, I have seen a '21 zuan' version with a mineral crystal, otherwise true to rep. What is this?
    That's a reissue. I believe both the 19 zuan and the 21 zuan versions had 21 jewels, but they went back to the 19 zuan version (presumably to stay true to the original for nostalgic reasons). I believe they both use the same movement. There is a thread on WUS discussing this - Seagull ST19 jewel count. There are so many variants being made, but the ones in the $200 range have acrylic glass, while some of the ones sold by Watchunique and a few other European e-tailers (typically priced at € 300-400+) have sapphire.

10. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

Question: Since this IS the thread for poor people, i ask the following: Is it ok to buy a fake/copy of a real watch OR any watch with a brand name on it that's not a direct copy of any model that is real? Because I was traveling and I saw a nice watch that was branded Cartier. Although it is fake, it is not a copy of any watch they actually make. What do you think?

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yes. Avoid all fakes.

12. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

^ get it if you like it. its cheap anyways right?

hook up on the hamilton canteen?

13. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

14. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

you get more out of a real watch.

15. DJackson

DJackson Well-Known Member

Question: Since this IS the thread for poor people, i ask the following:
    Is it ok to buy a fake/copy of a real watch OR any watch with a brand name on it that's not a direct copy of any model that is real? Because I was traveling and I saw a nice watch that was branded Cartier. Although it is fake, it is not a copy of any watch they actually make. What do you think?

I think whatever floats your boat is best for you, so if you get the most joy out of a fake then that is the best choice for you. Just know that fakes will leave a bad taste in the mouth of the typical enthusiast for various reasons - in the end it's about you and if that isn't any concern of yours then fake on and happy watching. That said, there will be no fake on my wrist [​IMG]