Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

heh Doxa is a pretty fun watch. I always wanted one, but they're not exactly cheap either.

2. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

yeah they are expensive too IMO. was just making a comparison. if i owned an island and never left it i'd get a doxa orange sub and drink rum all day. =)

3. DJackson

DJackson Well-Known Member

Before I got my Stowa I was looking at Doxa as well. Even more so I was looking at mkii, I love some of their designs and they also will let you build & order your own watch which is pretty cool.

This morning I was poking around to see what vintage Seamster 300's are going for and [​IMG] too many fakes out there. Long story short I found this top 20 list of poor man's watches on the Poor Man's Watch Forum. list. Seems to be an actively managed list and it has a few categories so there are actually way more than 20 watches to look at.

4. ewc

ewc Active Member

Great thread, just read through from page 1. Really love hose vintage watches deveandeopt1 posted - especially the Pobeda on page 30. How reliable (in the sense that it'll work - I'm not too fussed if it's out by however many seconds a day) is one I buy on eBay likely to be? Looking at this one or similar. Seems perfect, if a little well loved. I'm looking for something with an automatic movement, as simple as possible and not too big (6" wrists). Stainless steel case, light coloured face. Thin bezel. Under $150. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

5. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Great thread, just read through from page 1.

Really love hose vintage watches deveandeopt1 posted - especially the Pobeda on page 30. How reliable (in the sense that it'll work - I'm not too fussed if it's out by however many seconds a day) is one I buy on eBay likely to be? Looking at this one or similar.

Seems perfect, if a little well loved.

I'm looking for something with an automatic movement, as simple as possible and not too big (6" wrists). Stainless steel case, light coloured face. Thin bezel. Under $150. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

Parnis or Seagull [​IMG]

6. ewc

ewc Active Member

Parnis or Seagull [​IMG]
    I really like some of the Parnis watches I've come across, but they're all in excess of 43mm - I could be wrong, but that might look dumb on my tiny little girl wrists. I've had a look at the Sea Gulls as well. The M149S falls within my price range, but I think it might be a bit busy in the face for my liking, and the bezel a bit too thick. I've come across the same problem with Seiko 5s. I guess I should same I'm after a Bauhaus-y, minimalist design. Think Stowa and Junghans but on a starving student budget. [​IMG]

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I really like some of the Parnis watches I've come across, but they're all in excess of 43mm - I could be wrong, but that might look dumb on my tiny little girl wrists.

I've had a look at the Sea Gulls as well. The M149S falls within my price range, but I think it might be a bit busy in the face for my liking, and the bezel a bit too thick. I've come across the same problem with Seiko 5s.

I guess I should same I'm after a Bauhaus-y, minimalist design. Think Stowa and Junghans but on a starving student budget. [​IMG]

How thick are you thinking?

8. ewc

ewc Active Member

How thick are you thinking?
    Something like the Parnis Portugese is probably as thick as I'd want it in terms of bezel:dial, but I don't want to exaggerate how big a deal it is. The 3-4mm difference isn't going to be very noticeable when it's on my wrist, but thinner is nicer.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

my evening watch: [​IMG]

10. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I received my new Seagull 1963 yesterday. Wow, what an amazing watch! While the watch itself is great, I was not particularly happy with the NATO strap. Too busy and complicated, and I was not a fan of the color. So, I went ahead and bought a nice dark brown crocodile leather strap. I could not be happier! I'm not really sure the Seagull is necessarily a dress watch, but I think it straddles the line, especially with the chronometer. So, I think I've found a new "business casual" watch favorite, with the dark brown strap. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

^ Looks really nice with that dark brown strap. Good pop of colours.

12. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

A couple of years ago I bought a throwaway "CTI" watch on ebay for $20 because I wanted a mechanical watch with no date. When I got it, it looked like somebody had wiped her butt on the face before assembling it. Literally there was a brown smear on it and the numerals were all crooked.

Now CTI watches are going for $180?? WTF

13. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

^ Looks really nice with that dark brown strap. Good pop of colours.

Thank you. It looks surprisingly dressy -- I probably won't wear it with a CBD, but definitely when I'm wearing khakis or jeans and a sport coat.

14. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

this is a seriously nice vintage sports watch. how much do they go for? i might buy, not a pmw actually, today a 36mm railmaster... just one left in the ad.

skagen for bauhaus?

mondaine for minimalist?

gomestar i have the same watch! it's actually my number 1 rec for a pmw. i put mine though on a bond nato with red olive navy like the one in the actual bond flicks...

15. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

[​IMG]
    WoW!!!!!!!