1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

The rub is that you would have to be a really big dude to pull off a watch like that and make it look "proportional". Im 5'11'', 185 lbs, my wrists are 7.5'' and I dont feel the 44mm Panerais look right at all; the things are 18mm thick. It cant be that the majority of their fans are sized like Sylvester Stallone; the likelihood is that most of their customers are wearing watches that are just flat out too big for them.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

I think you conflated understanding with agreeing. I can see where you're going, I just can't get there with you. Lots of well engineered luxury watches are quite substantial while many cheap and poorly engineered ones are relatively thin. Markets exist for watches with either attribute because people favor one or the other. While there's certainly aesthetic and practical considerations for a thin watch, not everyone values that attribute. Personally I favor a more substantial watch over a thin one, even in more formal settings.

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Quote: Lovely jacket. And Marine Original with white dial and Arabic numbers is definitely the "proper" one in my opinion. Do keep us informed!

Yes, at one time 10atm was an achievement, and at one time only divers wore dive watches, and at one time most men's watches were in the region of 33-34mm across and plenty man enough for anyone. I think you gentlemen are both right - yes, of course, a large case on a small movement is inefficient in a purely engineering sense. But it is therefore a choice to be inefficient, and a matter of taste. As it was when Rolex put the same movement from a 34mm watch in a 36mm case, and beyond.

Wearing a watch on the inside of the wrist, however, I consider a vile infamy and indicative of a deeply deviant character.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Curious as to why you say that. I don't own any Shinola pieces, but have stopped by the store to buy a non-watch gift for someone.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Also would like to hear your thoughts(See my above post.) Tks.

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

In short, I think it's mostly my prejudice towards quartz watches even though I own a few. I would rather just spend it on a Swiss watch. Kudos to them for using sapphire crystals and Super Luminova, but I think they are overpriced. For about half the cost you can get a similar Swiss watch. If the whole thing was "made" here, I'd consider it, but I am reading they source most of their parts outside the U.S., except the strap, and just assemble it here.

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Pretty much that. I also mean "at normal prices" of course. A deal is a deal.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Tks!

9. DerangedGoose

They are way overpriced, even for a competently designed fashion watch. Citizen eco-drive models are available in arguably equal or higher levels of finishing, many with better waterproofing, additional functions, titanium materials, and a battery that will last decades. Eco drives are the only quartz watches worth the money, IMO

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I liked the look of a couple of the models.....but not the price.

11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I agree with this. If they were completely made in the U.S. they'd be WAAAAYYYYYYY more expensive.

12. DerangedGoose

On ebay / amazon / grey market you can easily find most eco drives at 50% of MSRP or less

13. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Interesting discussion. I don't have a horse in the race, but I will say that Shinolas can be had at upwards of 50% off. I've seen them at Nordstrom Racks for example (while waiting for the girlfriends to waste their time and money) at that price. I think Shinolas get too much criticism, but I still wouldn't get one. For that sort of money I'd still consider my Victorinox Swiss Army watches that I used to wear or a Swatch Sistem. Maybe a Timex. Hell, you can even get a Daniel Wellington for less than $100.

I was talking to a co-worker who bought her boyfriend a Citizen eco-drive. She went through litany of problems the watch has had. So personally were than a consideration for me I wouldn't touch one.

If someone is looking to spend around the Shinola at full retail range I'd consider going vintage Omega or something. I've seen Seamasters go at auction for around $600. I was told the dial was "refinished", though I wasn't so sure and the auction listing didn't specify that as being the case.

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I should have clarified further. I liked the look of some of their models, but was not interested in buying one. Just was interested in hearing as I didn't know much about the company. Some good feedback.

15. DerangedGoose

The number of people who have had issues with their ecodrives are very few and far between, and their service / warranty support is solid. I would not hesitate to trust the brand. I purchased this titanium chronograph in all-white, with 100m water resistance, for $200 new (model ca00021-53a)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has held up to the beach, pool (plus diving) and nights out on the town. The all white face is very eye catching and it garners tons of compliments at 42mm x 11mm, it is not too big, does not catch on shirt cuffs, and is a pleasure to wear even in the summer because of the light weight and the fact that titanium does not conduct heat as rapidly as steel, and so the metal does not get sticky against the skin

16. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

While that may be the case it certainly wasn't in this instance. Not only were there mechanical problems, but she also said a pusher stopped working. It was all covered under warranty, but they've had to send it in at least three times she said which meant months of lost wrist time.

17. DerangedGoose

That does sound very strange. Perhaps it was a bad design. Either way, at least the warranty support was very good. I can understand the frustration, and it is unfortunate that these experiences color someones impression of a brand, but the reality is that even with very small rates of manufacturing error, over millions of units someone has to end up with the lemon.

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The occasional dud appears even from the very best.

1 person likes this.
  19. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Put a cordovan strap on the KW Bauhaus...with a sunny San Diego skyline faded in the backdrop

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  20. crdb

crdb Senior member

Got caught in a rainstorm, which was an occasion to discover whether the HMT Pilot (not one of the ones I opened) is humidity proof.

[​IMG]

Nope.

The seconds hand started moving again after a few minutes in drier air. Indian reliability...

(on G10 strap from David Boettcher)

1 person likes this.