1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. crdb

crdb Senior member

So... I'm usually an advocate for smaller watches, but I think one has to be context dependent. Based on the tattoo, your location and your not buttoning your shirt cuff I'm assuming you're probably not spending your every day on Wall Street or EC4. In a more casual and less traditionalist context, like the arts, larger watches are the norm (even for the more classically minded: cf the saucer sized DWs worn by designers). From that point of view having a diver sized Bauhaus sort of works, you're saying you like the aesthetic but adapt it to your surrounding.

I spotted this when I moved to Sydney. My ideal for formal menswear was basically British, even in New York to a large extent the East Coasters take inspiration from London bankers (John Kerry would fit in just fine at Goldman Fleet Street). But after a while in Australia you can spot the fresh British arrivals from a mile because they are too squared away, too conservative and formal in their rule following. Kind of how we sometimes see gentlemen in Singapore sweating bullets in their cream linen suits and coloured shirts (a jacket in 32 celsius? must be a Brit).

Just have a look at the HOF thread and see all the Australians posting their fits, unstructured jackets, tons of country-appropriate colours worn in town, shorter trouser legs, tighter fitting and shorter jackets... it reflects Australian culture and personality (I think, as an outside observer), the more egalitarian, less rigidly rule-bound culture there. There's always a hint of scruffiness ("sprezz"?) in the smartest outfits.

I think a true London or New York style city look (where a smaller watch is appreciated) would be out of place culturally in LA, maybe I'm wrong, I've only spent a couple of weeks there but that's the vibe I got at the time (at least in Santa Monica, Hollywood, Beverly Hills and even downtown with a couple of exceptions in PE/value funds which are basically staffed with NYC transplants anyway). The LA look is fine with an unbuttoned cuff half covering a large watch. IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  2. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Please show me where I can get a full sized Speedy for less than $2k. Cheers!

3. starro

starro Senior member

I'm going to push back ever so slightly on this. IMO a large watch that overwhelms the wrist is never flattering. It draws attention in a negative way to the watch, and how it doesn't fit the person. It'd be like wearing a bright red satin tie, or tan shoes with gray pants.

That's why I never understood why some people believe a dress watch doesn't go with casual clothes. A dress watch should complement practically any classic outfit, because it does not draw undue attention to itself, and is sized appropriately to the wrist and hand. A clunky oversized sports watch (under which I would lump all the special activities such as aviation, sailing, racing etc) really only works in the context of the activity it's intended for, and would almost always look ridiculous with any balanced outfit.

All in all, better for the wrist slightly to overwhelm the watch than the other way around.

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Through resellers like : http://www.seiyajapan.com/

Not sure if they have that specific model, but I would inquire with them.

I'd like to know too. I've been tracking for the past few months and going prices from what I have seen have been $2,800+.

5. mimo

mimo Senior member

I think Murl's watch is a little big for a dress watch, but not egregiously so. First of all, phone pictures distort perspective and make the watch look bigger on the wrist than it is. Secondly, he's lean but also a tall, well-built dude if I recall correctly, and the proportion to the person makes a difference too. I don't think this watch will be wearing him. On the wrist is puts me in mind of the Nomos Zurich, that also wears big but it would be wrong to say it's no longer a dress watch because it's a large automatic. If he can carry it off, more power to him.

But I hope that next watch is the 35mm Orion. All class!

1 person likes this.
  6. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

Indeed:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

It sure will be.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

@Murlsquirl , the KW watch is fine. To put @starro 's comments into perspective, they are the classical, timeless view on dress watches that does not like the current trend of larger dress watches. It's akin to the WAYWRN arguments that focus on the traditional rules/norms and eschew the current trends that deviate from this. Think along the lines of the argument criticizing wearing navy trousers with an odd jacket because it is not ideal and can seem visually jarring as the WAYWRN version. I've got a 41 mm watch that I wear with jackets almost as much as I wear my smaller Nomos Orion; it works for me because I have a larger, flat wrist and a tall, broad frame.

2 people like this.
  9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yikes. I must be the worst dresser, ever, then.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I assumed there was a reason you post all those awesome watches and shoes but never anything in the clothing threads. I envisioned this guy walking around in Galways with a Rolex on his wrist and an ensemble along the lines of one of these options:

[​IMG]

. [​IMG]

11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^^ Basically. The fit depends on how much winter weight I hold onto though the year. LMAO. I bulk up for, ummmm.... insulation. Yea that's it.

1 person likes this.
  12. mimo

mimo Senior member

The other difficult one is a light grey odd jacket. I find it goes great with navy trousers.

I would say a larger Bauhaus-style dress watch is far more classic than a chunky diver and knobbly bracelet under a suit and shirt sleeve. Fashion is a terrible thing, but larger dress watches...not so much.

1 person likes this.
  13. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Then it's official...I am the worst dresser, ever. hahaha

14. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

36MM Shinola Ladies Watch. I paid $120 all in at Nordstrom Rack. It came with a crazy small metal ladies strap. I sold the box, papers, and strap for $80. I bought the current Hirsch strap for $20. I am happy
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. mimo

mimo Senior member

I have come to think of Shinola as a terrible value proposition. But sixty bucks for a classically-sized retro-military watch on a nice strap makes a lot of sense. You have a win there, sir!

16. bobbers

bobbers Senior member

I agree with wanting a hand wind feature. My first Seiko frustrated me that I couldn't do it, so on my next purchase I decided to spend a little more (than the lowest priced Seiko 5s) in order to get a movement that hand winds; 6R15 in my case.

Speaking of a good deal on a watch with the ability to hand wind, I saw the Seiko SRP713 (on 4R36 movement) at Costco for $165 which I thought was a good price for an in-store purchase you can try on, and they have their generous return policy.
    [​IMG]

17. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Agreed

18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I find myself drawn to this new Seiko Presage SARW027. So close to ordering it, but . . . it is 13 mm tall, and I'm really coming to dislike tall dress watches that do not fit under a cuff easily. The gold on white/cream with the brown band, so nice, though . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

There are so many Seikos I want to buy to wear to work as a dress watch, but they are mostly all as thick or thicker than my Sub! Even the manual wind Grand Seikos!

C'mon Seiko...let's thin these dress watches out a bit.

20. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Tell me about it. I am considering selling my Stowa Marine Original because, at 12 mm tall, I've found that I keep picking other options when I'm wearing a shirt with tighter cuffs. There's no way I can convince myself to buy a 13 mm tall "dress" watch.