1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. westie187

westie187 Senior member

Great watch- does the day say "jue"? Please excuse my ignorance.

2. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

No worries! That stands for "Jueves," which is Thursday in Spanish. The first 12 hours of the day show the weekday in English, the last are in Spanish.

3. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

I have an Orient Producer (bought on massdrop earlier this month) arriving tomorrow. I'm excited.

4. caspersauer

caspersauer Member

Congrats on the new watch. Beautiful and tough... that's a nice combination.

I do think you'll want to adjust it to either read English or Spanish, not the mix you're currently getting.

The normal way things will work is: the date (number) will change right after midnight, and the day (letters) will change between midnight and 3:00 AM. The day changes by first switching to the "alternate language" (let's say Spanish) and then to the next day in the "primary" language (let's say English).

You actually want to know the difference between noon and midnight because the 7s26 movement can be damaged if you adjust the day or date while the hands are in the 9:00 PM to 4:00 AM window. (See http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/consequences-changing-day-date-9pm-4am-384460.html for pages and pages of discussion.)

To fix your situation, unscrew and then pull out the crown to the "all the way out" position to move the time to, let's say, noon. Noon will be 9 hours after the day and date have changed. Then, adjust the day and date (crown in the "middle" position) to yesterday... with the correct date, and the day in your preferred language (either one works). Then, move the hands again (crown all the way out) until the day and date flip, and get the hands to the current actual time... then you're all set.

Of course, you can stick with your "Spanish" it the siesta hours... but be careful not to adjust the date or day in the middle of the day.

Enjoy your new watch!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. westie187

westie187 Senior member

@justridiculous thanks for the info!

6. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Thanks so much for the information! That's very helpful.

7. Kai

Kai Senior member

Seagull Tourbillon with aftermarket alligator strap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

It might be a Sea-Gull, but definitely breaks the $1k rule! Only a PMW in Kai-world, I think ;)

Nice to see you, though - how's the Weltzeit?

1 person likes this.
  9. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Received this orient producer for Father's Day. At first I felt lukewarm about it, but it quickly grew on me. [​IMG]

10. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Very nice bud, lovely watch.

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Part of me hopes they're not your real children.

To be fair, a few years go my youngest bought me a polyester tie with Homer Simpson's face on it. I told her she should keep it in her room to remind her of me. That seemed an acceptable compromise.

Just saying. :)

12. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Lol too funny :)

13. caspersauer

caspersauer Member

I'm back to follow up on my posts from January -- where I was asking about trying on some Seiko divers before making a purchase decision. (Thanks to everyone who helped.)

I ended up ordering a dozen or so watches from Amazon (that all came with Free Shipping and Free Returns).

Here's a run-down of the candidates, mostly Seikos, but with two Orients thrown in just to make sure:

SKX007, SKX171, SKX173, SKZ329, SKX013K, SKX779K3, SRP307,
    SRP313, SKX013K2, SRP309, SKX175, SNKG95K1, EM6500AM, SEL03002M0M

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

When I look at this as a collection I can see the biases I came in with:
    - of the 14, only 5 have any color beyond black, white, and metal
    - all have a 4 o'clock crown (plus a 2 o'clock crown on the Orient Ray)
    - some hack, some hand-wind
    - cases vary from 38mm (SKX013) to 46 mm (Orient M-Force)
    - I was interested in both bracelets and rubber straps
    - I figured I'd move the watch to a NATO strap at some point

So, what did I learn? First, these are some great watches -- I found something to like about each and every one of them. There was also a disconnect between what I liked having on my wrist, what I liked looking at, and what I thought I "should" like. And, conversely, some things I "thought" wouldn't be important to me turned out to be things I actually did care about. In the end there were several I thought I could love owning... and I had to wrestle with subtleties to make my decision.

I'll post some photos tomorrow of what I ended up deciding on.

14. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Didn't want to try a SBDC?

I dare ya to try on a PROSPEX.

15. caspersauer

caspersauer Member

Some day, maybe, but for this purchase I had a budget to keep. Not unrelated... check out my response to one of your posts over in TWAT.

16. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Speaking of Seiko - I know they are famous in the PMW for their good basic divers, but does anyone have any experience with their re-edited bullhead chronos, both in black and golden-brown (respectively SCEB009 and SCEB015)?

I know, I know.. Quartz! But hey, I can't help it but love the styling! And, at 250$, what's not to like! Although I'm trying to avoid impulse purchases these days, so I might hold up on this watch for a few months to see it I really want/need it!

[​IMG]
    Source: Tihomir Vujnovic, from a random Google Image search.

EDIT: damn, that's a lot of Seiko/Orient divers to buy at once! Although I love divers watches, I don't know if I could handle this much in my watch box - unless of course they're vintage Rolex editions!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  17. caspersauer

caspersauer Member

So, my decision.

But first, some of my impressions and opinions.

And, before getting to that, let me emphasize that I bought these 14 new watches from Amazon because they were offered with "Free Shipping" and "Free Returns". I have mixed feelings about doing this, knowing that most likely I would be returning all but one watch. Ultimately I decided to do it, after committing to myself that I would buy the one I loved from Amazon. Now, back to the watches...

~~~

I liked the Monsters. I love the idea of a hand-winding and hacking movement. Unfortunately these have such a prominent bezel that it felt like I was wearing a bezel with a small watch inside. So, these four were returned.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I loved the two Orients. But the M-Force just is HUGE -- I felt like that watch was wearing me. The smaller Ray ticked almost all of my boxes, including a great bracelet... but it has that extra crown -- and that turned out to be a deal breaker. I realized I wanted a fairly "minimal" expression of a diver, so I returned these two.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Seiko 5 really fell flat in this company. I had thought that the SKX013 (seen here on both rubber strap and bracelet) might be my "one" -- it was smaller that the rest and that appealed to my sense of minimalism. Turns out, the smaller size hurt it too much in legibility. Part of this, no doubt, is related to the height of the '013 -- just as tall as any of the others I tried. It felt a bit like looking down a toilet paper roll at the dial. These three were put back in their boxes and returned.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I thought I might like the black bezel, black day and date wheels, and black bracelet of the SKZ329, but it didn't speak to me... perhaps because of the square markers. Returned to sender.
    [​IMG]

This left me with four "usual suspects" from the SKX line: 007, 171, 173, and 175
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My first impression from these was how much I didn't like the jubilee bracelet -- the looseness of the links and the polished center links were both turn-offs.

Coming in, I thought there was little chance I'd like the colors on the bezel of the 175... but I actually did like that. They're more subtle than I had thought, and (maybe) are functional on a dive watch. (Plus, I loved "All Is Lost" and would have enjoyed wearing a watch worn by "our man").

Honestly, any of these would make me happy. I decided against the 175 because of the red on the bezel -- ultimately it was a little too flashy for my personal (minimalist) tastes. And then I then eliminated the 173 because of the markers -- I just liked the shape/feel of the 007/171/175 markers more.

So, that made it a choice between the 007 & 171. My rational mind told me to go for the 171 with the metal features -- the bezel, the second hand, the applied markers -- over the 007 with garish white paint where most of that metal appears on the 171.

But, in person, on the wrist, it turns out that that white paint is so much more legible than the metal. The metal second hand can go away on you in weak light, and the metal of the applied markers doesn't add much to their legibility. In a way, the 007 is a logical minimal expression -- black and white on the dial and bezel insert, and metal for the bezel edge and case.

I wanted to pair it with an oyster bracelet. With wJean sold out, so I picked up a fantastic bracelet from StrapCode.

~~~

Here it is, as I waited to for a show to start last weekend:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

Bambino is on Massdrop again for $99! I got my ray for the same price and have been really happy. (PS it's right now listed as $119, but I am sure enough people will buy it for it to go down to $99)

19. Messer

Messer Member

Here's my Parnis diver watch. I was looking for something different than your average sub clone and I'm quite impressed with this one. It has sapphire glass, ceramic bezel, pretty accurate non-hacking automatic mechanism and nicely incised dial. It is lacking lume, the original leather strap is very tough and crown is not precise.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  20. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ How water resistant is it, @Messer?