1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Nice work Mimo! And good looking out catching the pop-off caseback. Admittedly, I did not open mine up.

So what about the dust issue. Any to speak of?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Well written, mimo. Without having a watch myself, I tend to agree with you with what I can see/have read about the watch. I tend to think, for this type of watch, it needs to be (slightly) smaller in size and have the added features (Selitta movement, sapphire crystal, a wooden box and a thick leather strap) that mimo brings up.

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Thanks, chaps. No dust in the dial that I could see; the finishing was really very respectable. Also, to correct myself, this already has a sapphire crystal (there are different kinds of course), which adds to the feel of weight and quality. The description also says that the strap is vegetable-tanned Italian leather. But it did feel a little plasticky.

Anyway, I hope I wasn't unduly negative: for the list price of $149, let alone the early bird discount, it's an exceptionally attractive thing to have on your wrist. As I said, I think I'll share some thoughts in the affiliate thread about positioning the brand and its integrity, but that aside, this is an impressive piece of design and execution. Also, I'm really glad I picked this case and strap - pick of the bunch from all the pictures I've seen. Yes, as a traditionalist, I'd take an Orient Bambino of Seiko 5 for the price, based on the movement alone. But this is aesthetically superior to either in my view, and is going to look a lot more stylish on the wrist.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

You're right, mimo. It is a very fine looking watch for the price.

5. Vincero

Vincero Senior member

As the topic here seems to be on Mimo's review and our new watches I also wanted to share that we are giving away two more of them.

We are doing so through Reddit in order to solicit feedback and ideas on what kinds of watches and men's accessories guys want or need. There is no email submission, Facebook share, twitter follow, etc. necessary. Just a thoughtful comment on our post and then let the Redditors vote away!

We really just want to know what you guys think the market is lacking or what you are looking for as we begin to develop new products.

I imagine we have a few Reddit users here? If interested, you can check it out here.

6. BostonHedonist

Baselworld announcement: Vector Watches.

Smart watch with monochrome display and a 30 day battery life. And it does more than useless activity monitoring. I'm not one for battery powered watches, but this is interesting.

7. BostonHedonist

PS - Anyone else want to take a crack at the Vincero? I fear mine won't see much wrist time and would be happier if someone who'd wear it regularly had it. PM me. First to paypal me $15 for shipping gets it.

1 person likes this.
  8. westie187

westie187 Senior member

Hey guys...
    Just started binge watching the BBC series "Luther" off Netflix and caught this image of the watch he wears:

[​IMG]

I have no idea if it's considered a poor man's watch; just dying to know what it is! Any help would be sincerely appreciated! Apologies for the crappy iPhone pic.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Most likely something vintage - very few make cushion case watches like that now.

The hands, case shape and numerals look very similar to this Omega from 1925.

Image search 'cushion case watch' and you'll find many made similar designs, like Rolex, Tudor, Hamilton and Longines.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. westie187

westie187 Senior member

@Kaplan thanks very much!

11. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Gentlemen, I need your help. I'm looking for a new watch. I would like to keep it under $200, but will go up to $300 if it's something I really like. I currently have a few Seikos, a couple of Orients, a Luminox, and a few other mostly "beater" watches. I like divers and pilot watches, along with most military watches. I'm also all for the minimalist/bauhaus look as well. In other words, I'm not super picky. I've been looking at Tiger Concepts and Orient, as well as vintage Omega and Hamilton Khaki (used). Can you please suggest some things I should look at?

12. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

Might be out of your price range, but http://www.larssonandjennings.com/shop/classic/cm-silver.

13. mimo

mimo Senior member

Vintage Omega, albeit a little scruffy, is not out of the question for that money. I reckon mine (eyes left) is worth only about that on eBay. Though a lot more to me. And on a $100 alligator strap for that matter!

14. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior member

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Not sure I like it on the NATO strap, but watch is great.

16. justridiculous

17. justridiculous

Are you selling it??? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

I have one of their models, the Laden, and very much like it. My wife has the Liten which is pretty much the same thing as the CM, but smaller. She likes it as well. We are far from watch experts however they appear to be well made - in Switzerland for what it is worth - and have a very nice aesthetic and feel. I often get complemented. Plus, being a newer company, you are unlikely to run into someone with the same watch if exclusivity is your thing.

19. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

I second the suggestion for an Omega. It sounds like you have your bases covered in the "lower tier" (i know that'll be a loaded term), so you can spend your time shopping for a good used luxury piece. $300 seems to be as low as a good vintage Omega Seamaster could go, so you'd definitely need to shop around and do your homework, but I think it'd pay off.

20. justridiculous

Thanks!