1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Mas1231

Mas1231 New Member

Hi all, I've been reading for a while now, but I'm looking to buy my first real watch. I have a handful of quartz pieces and a single mechanical, but none of them are of very high quality. My budget is around $500, but I'd like to stay farther below that if I can.

I love the style of the Universal Geneve Tri Compax's from the 40's, but obviously they're out of my price range. I definitely want a chronograph on there, but ideally the watch would have a moonphase as well as the day and date. Mechanical movement preferable, but I would maybe take quartz. Am I dreaming too much for 500 dollars?

I've had my eye on this Sea Gull that's right at the top of my range, but I keep going back and forth on it: http://www.seagullwatchstore.com/SEAGULL-M199S-Classic-Moonphase-Chronograph-Watch-p/m199s.htm

Any help is appreciated! I'm open to suggestions and wisdom from you experienced guys, so if you have anything that's similar to this at all or have something I need to know please let me know! I could go vintage too, if there's a particular model that fits this description. Much appreciated!

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Here are some I've been looking at. Seems like there are not that many great GMT watches out there to begin with. Even fewer entry-level automatic GMTs. Some of these get above "poor man's watch" territory at MSRP, but I think you can find or haggle most below $1k. But here's what I've got so far (apart from the Orient Star). I'm not crazy about all of them, but it's nice to look at all of them in one place.

Zixen Zulu
    [​IMG]

Glycine Airman Base 22 GMT
    [​IMG]

Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon GMT
    [​IMG]

Raymond Weil Nabucco GMT
    [​IMG]

Longines Admiral GMT
    [​IMG]

Thoughts? OK Wraith, your turn.

3. Galix

Galix Senior member

Dude, I would not by any means consider a Grand Seiko a poor man's watch ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

No kidding. I'd love to be poor enough to have a bunch of those. ;-)

1 person likes this.
  5. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. BostonHedonist

Ooh I quite like this! Not sure about that bracelet but the design of the watch itself has got a lot to like.

7. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Senior member

Got a new Seiko 100m quartz for my 25th birthday from parents. It came with one of those rattly bracelets that pull arm hair so I put a strap I had on.

[​IMG]

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Nice, clean design. Are the hands and indices gold or silver coloured?

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

@BostonHedonist @TheWraith @Wes Bourne

If you're into that early 70's aesthetic, maybe go for something from the early 70's?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Each available within the official "PMW" budget of US$1,000. Just a thought. :)

2 people like this.
  10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

What about the Orient "sun and moon?" Not really a true moon phase, but you can get it around $275ish direct from orient web site by using the code dappered30

I agree that Sea Gull is nice. I keep waffling on it too...

11. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Is there anything special about the Glasshutte watches made in East Germany in the post WW2 era? I thought they were more or less mass produced...

12. BostonHedonist

My novice impression is that Glashutte Original watches are highly regarded and mainly use precise in-house movements. Many consider GO manufacture finer even than Rolex (which doesn't say much in the realm of high horology). Glashutte, Germany is a watchmaking region and also home to Nomos Glashutte, which some say is one of the first larger manufacturers to have a truly unique take on horology in some time.

No it's not Swiss. For purists that might be a problem. But for this thread, one should be so lucky to see the word "Glashutte" scrawled on one's dial.

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

There are several watch manufacturers headquartered in Glasshütte. It really is Germany's Jura.

14. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

[​IMG]
    I'm thinking if this for my next dress watch. I currently have a SARB033 and want a light dial watch. The Macy's near me is going out of business so it's available for $690 right now (50% off). But that Seagull moonphase is enticing.

15. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Senior member

The bezel, hands and indices are in gold. I'm not usually the biggest fan of two-tone, especially "gold coloring" but I think it looks ok on the strap
    There was those GUB Glasshute watches that were pretty mass produced at the time. You can get some great deals on the second-hand market

http://www.chrono24.com/en/gubglash...=/gubglashuette/index.htm&manufacturerIds=591

1 person likes this.
  16. blake11

blake11 Active Member

17. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  18. blake11

blake11 Active Member

19. blake11

blake11 Active Member

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Mimo, I think that the Heuer GMT Automatic is actually a re-edition from about 10 years back, rather than the original from the 1970s. Still a nice watch, but not "vintage" if that's what someone wants.

Yes, Glashutte is home to quite a few watch manufacturers and nowadays, GO is very highly regarded, as are Glashutte watchmakers such as A. Lange & Sohne and Nomos.

However, prior to re-integration between East and West Germany, Glashutte was (not unexpectedly) a government owned business called Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe (or GUB) which made decent, but not fantastic watches.

So a Glashutte from the 1970s is definitely not the same as a Glashutte from today.

1 person likes this.