Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Seiko Blue Spark. No longer made. I had and sold one. It is beautiful, but I found it too thick (high).

2. plot

plot Senior member

I've got a beautiful Helson 40mm Shark Diver on its way.

[​IMG]

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Nice. Let us know how the SD fits. I have wanted one for eons, just have been nervous to pop my micro cherry.

4. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

I have one of these bad larrys en route. Uses a Sea-Gull ST17 movement. For a $120 seems like a solid watch.

Anyone know where I can get that strap? Or have any suggestions for good watch strap websites?

[​IMG]

5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I took advantage of a relatively weak ¥ a couple months ago and picked up the SARB017 and love it. The emerald green dial is a real stunner in the sunlight and the watch goes great in just about any situation. My only complaint is that the tang on the band seems sort of chintzy and out of place for the watch (which if it were not for the weak yen, would probably be one step above the "poor man's watches" category).

[​IMG]
    (Too much glare in the photo, but a great looking watch regardless)

I love these Helson's. I think these are probably at the very upper limits of what should be considered a poor man's watch (unless you get a great deal on one). Every time I check them out, I am very impressed with the specs for cost and they seem to have some of the best lum.

6. plot

plot Senior member

From what I've heard the lugs make them wear a bit large, but I'm hoping the 40mm version will go well with my 6.75" wrist.
    What a coincidence, that's actually a photo I took a few days ago :slayer: I got the leather NATO from cheapestnatostraps.com; the strap is very comfy, but the leather may be a bit thin for some.
    Excellent Seiko, I've always been a fan of the SARB collection. As for the Helson, I was indeed able to get quite a discount buying used ;) I received a Seiko SNZH60 yesterday, and what a fantastic watch it is. Came on a gold bracelet but I thought it was a bit blingy, so I swapped it with a black NATO. I think it definitely helps tone down the "bling" factor. [​IMG]

7. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

Good taste! Thanks for the suggestions!

8. revad

revad Member

Great watch, got rid of the stock band as you did, then also did a dial swap, and changed the seconds hand for one from an Orient Mako.

[​IMG]

9. plot

plot Senior member

Beautiful mod! That seconds hand really stands out nicely.

My Helson 40mm Shark Diver arrived in the mail yesterday:

[​IMG]

It's one of the most beautiful watches I've ever handled; I may like it even more than my Steinhart OVM.

Before buying I was weary that the watch would wear a bit big; although only 40mm (pretty much my idea size), it was advertised as quite chunk and thus harder to pull off. I was however very pleasantly relieved when I tried it on, it wears almost exactly the same as my other 40mm divers; the lugs make the case slightly larger, but at a distance they only serve to add a tool-like quality to the watch instead of increasing the perceived size.

Here's my Steinhart OVM to offer size comparison (Steinhart is 42mm):

[​IMG]

I wrote a short review on the watch here if anyone is interested. For the price Helson offers quite an amazing watch.

10. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Very nice review.
    One heck of a watch to add to your collection. Enjoy it.

11. djwoblely

djwoblely Senior member

Plot, I've been looking for a used helson myself or maybe new. Where should I be looking at?

12. plot

plot Senior member

New I would recommend http://www.helsonwatch.com/watches.php of course.

I got mine used from a seller on watchuseek.com, however I like to use watchrecon.com to browse all listings. Another alternative to watchrecon is lionseek.com.

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

While the Helson looks nice, the lugs are too big IMO. I prefer the overall design of the Steinhart.

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Guys,

I am now the owner of a seagull 819.368.

This is my first automatic watch and I'm finding that of a morning it is off by 30-60 minutes.

Is this normal for an automatic or does it need a service?

15. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

LOL, that thing is busted and needs help. 30-60 minutes a day is completely unacceptable and not at all normal.

It does happen though. Easy to knock the cheap Chinese movement but I had to return a Hamilton Khaki Officer for the same problem once. They gave me a new one, no questions asked. The replacement is on my wrist right now, keeps great time.