• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kentyman

Reaction score
College student here looking for a nice inexpensive dress watch to wear with suits as well as casually

Looking at timex easy reader or vintage timex w/ roman dial selfwinder around $50+?

what should I get? Or does anyone have any suggestions for a similar white face watch?

Thanks

Consider a Seiko 5. See this post. In there is a link to a comprehensive list that I made of white faced Seiko 5s: http://www.styleforum.net/t/223261/poor-mans-watch-thread/2445#post_5999742

plot

Reaction score
Excellent 007!

Here's a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military that I've had for a few weeks now. It's seriously stunning.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent 007!

Here's a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military that I've had for a few weeks now. It's seriously stunning.

Wow, that is really beautiful! I like that quite a bit.

BobStrauss

Reaction score
http://www.manbushijie.com/upload/674/DSC_0195.JPG

I'm thinking about buying that watch. I know it looks just like a Panerai, and I'm not trying to buy straight-up knockoffs, but I love the aesthetics of the piece and don't have $7,000 to drop on a clothing accessory.

Should I feel guilty about buying a Parnis watch like this?

ant702

Reaction score
http://www.manbushijie.com/upload/674/DSC_0195.JPG

I'm thinking about buying that watch. I know it looks just like a Panerai, and I'm not trying to buy straight-up knockoffs, but I love the aesthetics of the piece and don't have $7,000 to drop on a clothing accessory.

Should I feel guilty about buying a Parnis watch like this?
Nope, "buy what you want," I suspect they're patents have expired and that's why you see so many similar watches! That's why they, have R&D! Got to keep it fresh!

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent 007!

Nice, this watch is growing on me a lot.

StreekG

Reaction score
My poor mans watches. They aren't really classic watches, but they are poor mans watches :p I need to get some slimmer watches however that work better with shirts. The vestal is fine, not the case though with my Aeromatic.
Here's my Vestal watch. Was about $300

And my Aeromatic, about $500.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh dear.

Anyway, in our continuing quest to put together a quasi-hierarchical list of affordable watches which would be appropriate for wear with conventional business dress, I decided to conduct a thought experiment.

I went to the Tourneau website. Now, I don't recommend that people buy watches there by any stretch of the imagination, but they do have a very comprehensive website which sorts by model price etc. I did a search for men's watches under $1000. I then picked out models which I felt would go well with conservative business dress and which appealed to me personally. There are couple of eccentric choices here as well but so be it.

Because of the price range involved, I didn't differentiate between quartz and mechanical models. My primary criteria were affordability, made by a company that specializes in making watches, and conformity to classic design.

I encourage all of you to go to their website or a similar one and conduct a similar thought experiment and see what you come up with.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent 007!

Very nice. I really like this.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I agree with all of your choices, Howard, except the digital Movado.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent 007!

That is a superb watch. Great photo of it as well.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my poor man's watch, my Christopher Ward C60 Trident. Forgive the fuzzy/crappy mobile phone photo, though. I shall attempt a better photo with my wife's camera soon:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads